Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom Cabinet Maker in DC/MD-Area?

Posted by dckitrem (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 11:29

I've finally read it enough times on garden web so I am going to get a quote for custom cabinets. Is anyone aware of a place that makes cabinets in the greater DC metro area (MD and VA included?) Or opinions of a place to stay away from would also be welcome. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom Cabinet Maker in DC/MD-Area?

Replying since no one else chimed in, although I've made this recommendation a billion times already :)

My kitchen cabinet maker, Dutch Wood Kitchens, is in Myerstown PA, a little bit of a drive from you, but he's going to Washington to do someone else's so he'd probably go there to do yours too. He's extremely affordable and does exquisite work but he's also very busy and booked until I think Dec.

At any rate, if that works w/ your time line and you wanted to take a drive, I cannot recommend Dutch Wood highly enough.

o

Ha! Beagles, I was just gonna recommend Dutch Wood...!!

o

Monumental Construction Co - Jefferson, MD www.monumentalconstruction.com - Not cheap but does excellent work. Has worked in the White House.

Watkins Cabinet Company; Barnesville MD - http://watkinscabinetcompany.com/ - Has been in business for almost 60 years. They have a great reputation. They did my MIL's kitchen 23 years ago, and the cabinets have held up well considering they get A LOT of abuse.

o

We just moved back into our house in Chevy Chase, MD after a long renovation. We bought custom cabinets for the kitchen, bath vanities, and bookcases and cabinets for the living and dining rooms. The cabinets were custom Amish cabinets and the kitchen designer/cabinetmaker rep is Laura McGinnis in Arlington, VA. Laura was great and the cabinets are gorgeous. We went with white painted cabinets with inset doors in the kitchen and baths, and cherry cabinets in living/dining rooms. We had a lot of difficult angles and spaces and everything was just right. Laura is a big believer in maximizing space and efficiency while preserving a nice look.

Below is Laura's website (although she should update it with photos of our place!)

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura McGinnis Design/Cabinets

o

You may try and google custom cabinetmaker in the area you live. If nothing else you will get many ideas from different websites.

o

Yep try Dutch Wood Kitchens,in Myerstown PA, we were very happy with them.

o

last year our bathroom designer used Carriage Hill Cabinetry in Frederick for a custom vanity, mirrors, and medicine chest. They did a beautiful job. A coworker used Watkins for her kitchen remodel and the pictures were gorgeous. I got an estimate from them for our kitchen, but decided it was too much too spend for our tract neighborhood. spent the money in the bathroom because I couldn't find what I wanted in stores or online. Good luck!

o

Thank you all for the recommendations!!! I have some homework to do!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here