Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember my post about details - here's one we might have missed

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:28

We have a 10-foot island in an open-plan room. There are no appliances other than the drawer microwave in the island - no sink either (condo with concrete floors, can't be changed).

Are we required by code to have multiple power outlets in the island, or do power outlet requirements apply only to the wall? (We have plans for one outlet with 2 or 3 plugs and a USB port or two)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember my post about details - here's one we might have mis

Outlets are required in a fixed in place island. Best to check with electrician or inspector about how many. Around here I'd usually be including a minimum of two, some inspectors could require 4.

o

Currently, you are required to only have one GFI outlet from one of the small appliance circuits. But with a 10' island, it would be a safety hazard to not have outlets somewhere close to both ends. The spirit behind the requirement is so that small appliances don't use extension cords draped everywhere. If you ever want to entertain and use the island as a buffet, it's best to have enough electrical on it to run the warmers, crockpots, and blenders that will be in use. I'd do a quad close to both ends, and maybe even a popup in the middle.

That means you will need a dedicated circuit for your MW, and the GFI protected outlets from part of your 2 required small appliance circuits. Because electrical useage has done nothing but increase, I'd go ahead and have outlets from the second small appliance circuit as well. Or maybe outlets from one of the small appliance circuits plus a run of another island only GFI small appliance circuit. You're trying to use the two (or three) circuits to avoid overloading any one with demands. It's never fun just when the party is starting to have to go and flip a breaker and then try to re-arrange all of the juice suckers to not pop it again.

o

You should look at the specific applicable codes for whereever you live. In California, one is required if the island is greater than 24"x12". If you have a rangetop or sink on the island, then you need two.

See 210.52.C.2-5 below:

California 2010 Electrical Code

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here