Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyvs_gw

Re-coating Waterlox countertop

AmyVS
9 years ago

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here. I should begin with saying thank you for all of the wonderful information you all so freely share. You were such a tremendous help when we remodeled our kitchen 2.5 years ago.

When we remodels we had a white oak countertop built for our island. It's not butcher block style but farmhouse table style. We had a coat of Minwax dark walnut stain applied topped with 2 coats of the Original Waterlox sealer.

It has held up beautifully but it's time for a recoat. There are a few areas that have lightened dramatically in color. Most of the counter still repels water so I know that there is still a layer of Waterlox there and it isn't down to bare wood. Everything that I have read says that you can put stain in the first coat of Waterlox but I don't see anything about adding stain to subsequent coats.

Is there a reason for this? Is it dangerous to the finish setting up or just pointless? The wood didn't take the stain evenly in a beautiful way originally but I would like to even it out some if I can. So if I can't add it to the Waterlox can I just rub it on? Or should I just recoat and move on?

Also, I can't find true TSP, just TSP cleaner. Would it be okay to wipe it down with mineral spirits before re-coating?

Thanks so much

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County