Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Fireclay backsplash went in this weekend!!

youngdeb
11 years ago

I'm so happy with how it turned out! Thanks to EAM & oldbat and others who helped us with this decision...especially oldbat's photoshop help. The majority here said that we should go with the 4x4, and DH agreed. I was pushing for the 2x8, but he felt strongly about it, and since I won on the color, he won on the format. And we get to stay married.

We're close to done with our refresh, a few more details and some paint touchups left. That should only take another 6 months or so at the pace we're going. ;-)

This is what we started with:

And this is where we are now:

Comments (33)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice! The first word that popped into my mind when I saw the first pic was; "fresh!" What a nice, fresh look! Enjoy your "bright and clean" new space!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Yay! I love it. Of course, I am partial to your 4x4s in a brick pattern (which is what I am planning to do).

Very nice!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

That color is great. Love it! We haven't started our project yet, but I am hoping at the end of it we get to stay married too :-)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

oooh - what a pretty color. I love it!

• angel411
    11 years ago

It looks like a fun, happy kitchen. I love it!

• slush1422
    11 years ago

I LOVE it!!!!!! Looks so good with your cabinet color. Gorgeous :)

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Meant to add that we went with a 1/8" grout line, even though the manufacturer recommended a 3/16" grout line. We played with it a bit before deciding, and honestly, we could have gone down further in terms of grout line size. They aren't exactly even, but they aren't as wonky as other handmade tiles I've seen.

We also got a good deal on the tiles...our guy doesn't maintain a showroom anymore and so can offer tiles for less.

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

What a fun and stylish kitchen. I really like how it turned out. I notice in the edge of one picture that it looks like you have a white fridge with a stainless handle. This is what I am looking for--can you tell me the name of it?

• caryscott
    11 years ago

It looks terrific. Adds some real pop to the room and perfectly integrates with your use of white appliances (which look great).

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mermanmike, it's a 3-year-old Jenn Air french door in white glass. Not sure if they still make it, but we love it. Get compliments on it all the time, which is weird for a refrigerator.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

amazing transformation! It is gorgeous and fresh. and love the two-toned look. What I find interesting is that your space looks brighter with the non-white cabinet doors. Can you tell me what wood you used for your cabinet doors?

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

That's just swell!

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! We love how it looks, the general consensus is that it looks bigger. White cabinets will make a room look smaller, but the black tile was exacerbating the situation to a level I didn't realize.

They are solid lyptus stained with Sher-wood walnut - from Scherr's. I love that the doors will hold up better than the site-painted doors we had before, which were looking pretty ragged. Granted, they were 15 years old, but we live in our kitchen and we had taken them from nice to scruffy in the last 5 years.

Onedogie, that's a cute comment. It's looking very Mad Men in there, I keep walking in there and muttering "ring a ding ding!"

• springroz
    11 years ago

Wow, i love it!! Great color combo, and I like the way the white frames the walnut!

Nancy

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Wonderful choices... And yes...so fresh. The tiles are perfect.

• sw_in_austin
    11 years ago

Deliciously gorgeous! Congratulations.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I absolutely positively LOVE it! I'm partially to that family of colors and with your glorious walnut, clean lines and stainless... it's just fabulous. Definitely my kind of kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Young deb - I saw Fireclay and clicked into your post, you are so kind to give others credit, thanks. Frankly, I am thrilled that I helped! Your tiles are GORGEOUS!!!! Love the colors, what character you have added to your kitchen, love the look.

Our own Fireclay tiles should go up this week, we spent Saturday making grout sample boards, am so pleased with the tiles and reflection and heft and just everything about them. Very happy for you!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

So pretty.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Really like the tiles and I am NOT usually a BS fan. Now this! the color works, the cabinets work, the white appliances... All just really really nice.
    Well done!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Really like the tiles and I am NOT usually a BS fan. Now this! the color works, the cabinets work, the white appliances... All just really really nice.
    Well done!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Those cabinets are beautfiul! Such a warmth to them! Great job!

• dee850
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the wood with those tiles - just perfect together.

Looks like you have stainless steel counters. Did you get those fabricated locally?

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wow. What a transformation! Really nice and the tiles are beautiful. I also like how you've done the cabs, too!

• momo7
    11 years ago

Oooh, your kitchen looks so nice. I love the colour of the tiles with the wood cabinets - they look great together. I also love how you did a one tile high row on the sides by your cooktop and beside the fridge - that is brilliant!

Enjoy!

• eam44
    11 years ago

What a pretty kitchen! If I was helpful in any way I'm delighted. Congrats, and enjoy it in the best of health.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job! Love how you incorporated color with the BS! And welcome to the ABB alumni club! (all but backsplash). Doesn't it feel so good!
    Want to hear about your cooking adventures with your grand stove and ovens!

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much!! We are really happy with it, I feel like we made it all look new again.

Dee850, yes, they are stainless that we had laid over the old laminate counters on the sink run and over the old speckled granite on the stove run. We had them fabricated here in town, they laid down some glue, and voila! new counters.

a2gemini, yes, it's great to be near the end! We cook a ton, but here in TX we are getting to the end of our really messy cooking - the barbecue. DH has a huge custom-made pit barbecue and he does these huge masses of meat (multiple pork shoulders, multiple briskets, etc) and multiple sauces. )Once school starts it's hard to find the time.) Kitchen came out like a champ!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I really thought someone else would do the asking for me, but since they haven't... Please tell me what color & type of Debris tile you used. Grout color?

Such an inventive kitchen! Kudos to you. I'm going for color with painted cabinets but your kitchen makes me what to switch and be like you. I love looking at the picture of your range with the pops of color and hanging pots. I've immediately made note to self to add blocking behind stove so I can hang pots with abandon.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Youngdeb
    Wow! We need picture of that BBQ pit! And maybe an ABB reunion downstream!

• labbie
    11 years ago

I love it! I remember your post searching for a tile and the color you ended up with is perfect for your new space. It looks so much warmer than previously. What a lovely color combination. Fireclay are gorgeous tiles, and I like the layout you chose (and that it allowed you to stay married! we had a similar backsplash challenge here and compromise is a wonderful thing :-)

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Simply stunning. You must be so pleased and excited. Enjoy it!

• crl_
    11 years ago

Such a dramatic transformation and it turned it so well. I really love the colors together.