Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

show me your faucet set up with undermount sinks.

sanborn5
16 years ago

I am installing granite in my kitchen with a 1 3/4 undermount SS sink. I have a faucet, lever, sprayer, and an airswitch. I have heard horror stories of where the granite installers cut out the holes, I want that control. But have never done this before so, I would love to know or see where you have yours. I did see a sink on a granite web site that had the faucet, lever, sprayer on the right side of the sink (all in back of the 3/4 sink) and they had a soap or hot water dispenser on the left corner of the larger sink. Would that be a good place for the airswitch or would it be too far for the wiring underneath? The garb disp is going on the right in the 3/4 sink. Thanks,

Comments (66)

• imrainey
    16 years ago

I should have added that I don't think the material or manufacturer of the sink should make any difference.

Go for it with your Silgranite sink! ;>

There are two tiny seams from the back corners of the sink to the edge of the window opening. They're very short. You can hardly see them.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion of first doing a mock-up. Just finished doing one and it really has helped us to make this decision. Another great GW idea!

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

cloud swift, what double bowl undermount sink did you choose? Your idea of a mock up helped when I went to the store today. I had envisioned the elkay http://elkayusa.com/catalog/sinks/product.asp?product_id=1473 with the grohe ladylux plus, but I didn't like how the faucet 'extended' into the larger bowl and faucet handle clearance is an issue too.

sanborn5, how is your decision process going?

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are heading to the granite yard today to actually see my granite choices. I plan on doing a mock up. But I do know that all three if not all four will be located on the right with my smaller sink. Just still not sure if they will look to crowded. I think the mock up will help me with that decision. As someone else quoted "another garden web great idea" I honestly don't know how we built 7 other house without this site??????

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Our sink is the C-Tech-I Massilia. The cost is good, the sink is 16 guage (though I think 18 would have been fine too) and the sink grids are included. They also include a colander (not one that hangs in the sink - just a nice big regular one with feet) and the drain thing with a strainer for the non-GD side of the sink.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

IMRainey: Thanks for your info - much appreciated!

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

So are airgaps only required in certain cities? I have one now,
    but would love to eliminate it in the new kitchen. I am in SoCal.

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

Thanks, cloud swift! (good food for thought) I've got to make a decision soon.

Sanborn5, how did it go at the granite yard?

• ny888
    16 years ago

Garbage disposal is on the right.

{{!gwi}}

Air gaps are required here in NorCal.

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

I needed to fit in more "stuff" on my counter than you are, but it all seems to be working out well. The air gap (required in Hawaii) is on the opposite side of the sink from the dishwasher, and the air switch for the disposal is also on the opposite side. The distance doesn't seem to make a difference, and that's with a full RO system hogging space.

I put the air switch on the left side -- I'm right handed, but I figured I'd probably be holding the sponge or pull down faucet at the same time, so it seemed to make sense to make the operation of the switch left-handed.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

FYI--no air switches necessary in NY (at least not in Southern NY State).

• oofasis
    16 years ago

vicnsb - I'm in SoCal, too. Yes, air gaps are required by an out-dated law here. Do check the specs for your d/w, as (so my plumber sez) most new models don't need an air gap.

To be in compliance for inspection, we're installing an air gap and my plumber will swap it out for the air switch, post-inspection.

• pompeii
    16 years ago

Don't know if you still want to see another photo, but here is mine, complete with airswitch.

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

oofasis...thanks , switching later sounds
    like a great idea.

I will be doing dishwasher drawers, not sure exactly which ones yet.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Vicnsb, if you switch the airgap out, you won't be in code. A lot of people here don't seem to care about that, but you might need to get back into code when time comes to sell.

Our GC got a stainless steel air gap for us instead of the fakey flaky chromed plastic one our old kitchen had and I think it looks fine. At least it matches.

• toomuchstuph
    16 years ago

Vicnsb, if your sink is on an outside wall, perhaps venting the airgap outside could work. I've heard this called a Johnson Tee. If you search on the appliance forum you'll see a thread or two about it.

I've attached a photo though from a member who did this. The photo only shows what the airgap looks like from the outside of her house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outside airgap

• divamum
    16 years ago

Dumb n00b question (and thanks cloud_swift for pointing me to this thread):

What's an air switch/airgap?

Oh. My. Goodness. I have SO much to learn before November....

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

air switch is a button you add by your faucet for your garbage disposal. air gap is the vent thingy for your dishwasher, which most people don't need. It just depends on where you live. I live in NC and don't need one.

I just have the faucet and soap dispenser but I'm thinking about adding a hole (for either an instahot or an air switch) when the granite guys come back to cut the hole for my Mockett outlet in my island (it wasn't here yet when they came for installation).

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

California code requires an air gap for a dishwasher. It is a device that keeps water from going back into the dishwasher drain. Many modern dishwashers have that protection built in so their manufacturers say they don't need it, but California still requires the external one. In the photo of my main sink above, it is the cylinder thing next to the insta hot faucet.

The air switch is the little button thing to the right of each of my faucets. It has an air tube that activates the switch for the garbage disposal. Some people like it because they aren't touching an electrical switch with wet hands to turn on the disposal. I like it because it is convenient right next to the faucets - our sinks are on an island and in front of a window so neither has a convenient spot for a wall switch.

• User
    16 years ago

Very helpful.
    Labradoodlelady- What faucet is that ? It is very attractive!

• lauraa
    16 years ago

We just bought our home in July. I am hating our faucet because I really want a goose neck faucet. I only have two holes, one for faucet and one for soap dispenser. I really do not use the soap dispenser. I am looking for a goose neck faucet in oil rubbed bronze (I think) with sprayer.

here is picture

• momofj_r
    16 years ago

Lauraa I have a oil bronzed fauce goose neck faucet for sale. I purchased one at a retailer locally and then found one that I liked better online. If you are interested in some information about it please let me know.
    Email addy is in profile.

• shezzy_in_sj
    16 years ago

This is a crummy picture. For some reason it is blurry. Couldn't be the photographer??? Haven't taken the time to retake the pic, but it illustrates the point to some degree.

The Silgranit sink has seven knock outs, IIRC. So, from left to right we put in: water filter faucet, disposal air switch, blank/empty, single hole faucet, blank/empty, soap dispenser, dishwasher air gap (CA code).

The dishwasher is on the right, and so we put the air gap to the right. I hold my sponge with my left hand, so I wanted the soap dispenser on my right, as well. The other two went to the other side for symmetry.

• adunate
    16 years ago

NY888 and others with gooseneck faucets: Do you have any problems with water splashing? I've been reading of this and wondering. Is it the faucet height? Sink depth? Any thoughts?

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! I did the same set up as natesgramma except for the soap dispenser on the left. I didn't get that so I kept my 4 holes on the right. And my faucets would be in by now if they hadn't used dull tools. They split my counter when they drilled and they butchered my backsplashes. They put us behind over two weeks. PLEASE make sure when they drill the holes they use all NEW drill bits and polishing tools.

• cburch
    16 years ago

Here's mine. I set out to get a gooseneck, but they seemed sooooo large and overwhelming, that I decided against it. So far I don't regret it. I LOVE MY faucet!!!

{{!gwi}}

Christy

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Shezzy in SJ: (my old birthplace!) Kitchen sink area is beautiful - what faucet do you have there? It is so shiny and sparkly. Like your granite, too - name? Thanks!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Cloud Swift's is my inspiration for faucet layout. This is a great thread, as the pics of the different layouts are invaluable for figuring out which will work best for you.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will post mine when we are done. AND

• susan4664
    16 years ago

Hi. Susan here. I have a 70/30 sink. I originally set out for a high arch faucet, but it splashed too much so I ended up with a standard size faucet and love it! Also I got a matching soap dispenser and filtered water spout.

{{!gwi}}

• ozma58
    16 years ago

Hi, new to posting, but I have been lurking and learning, thanks to all of you. Cburch, what kind of sink did you get?

• franki1962
    16 years ago

I wanted to have the soap dispenser on the left but it was to tight to the sidewall.

It ended up: Faucet, soap, airswicth, insta-hot (sort of useful)

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Franke: I love your granite! What is the name of it, please? And your faucet and color of it - looks like brass but not sure on my screen. Nice look. Thanks!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Susan4664, what size are your sinks (w & d)? I really like your cabinet stain, it looks gorgeous : )
    Franki1962 I like how your tap & extras line up........any problem cleaning around them, bumping your knuckles or accidentally pushing on the garbage disposal?
    TIA
    **Great thread Sandborn5**

• jscozz
    16 years ago

Do faucet manufacturers make the matching soap dispensers? I like the one in fothia's pic at teh top of this thread... anyone know what model that is?

• susan4664
    16 years ago

Saskatchewan girl,
    Thanks! My cabinets were custom made so I'm not sure of the color. They are maple with some kind of cherry stain. Here is a full picture. And yes,jscozz, many manufacturers make matching soap dispensers and water spouts. Good luck!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

OMG susan, they are so beautiful, just the type I'm looking at. Would you mind if I copied your pic for our cabinet maker? We are planning to do our cabinets in maple with a dark stain but I was looking at a shaker style door with a rounded moulding in the inset, just for better cleaning purposes, but your raised panel looks so beautiful. I think there is quite a bit difference in price here for shaker vs raised panel.
    Does your countertop have a 3" piece behind your range? And your sink?
    Sorry to hijack your thread sandborn : (
    saskatchewan girl

• susan4664
    16 years ago

Thanks saskatchewan. Of course you can use the picture. we are soooo happy with the job. By the way, my sink is a Houzer, 9" deep, 70/30 split.

Good Luck!

• sienna2007
    16 years ago

Fothia and cburch: mind sharing your faucet brand? They both look soooo cute!

• determined_sammie
    16 years ago

I ditto sienna's request, fothia and cburch - would you be willing to share the brand of your faucets? Love the look!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

bump

Great pictures of sinks in bay windows and Cloud_Swift mocking up her sink & faucet, etc.

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

If anyone is still looking, here is my sink:

• beware
    16 years ago

Re air switch, was wondering: to make it go on, does one just push it once, then push it again to make it turn off? Or do you have to keep holding it down? I am pretty ignorant and don't understand how it's NOT electrical, but guess I don't need to fully understand it to know it's a good thing, eh? Thanks!

• dflood75
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    By dflood75, shot with Canon PowerShot S3 IS at 2007-12-19

Hansgrohe Stratos E in steel optik faucet and Ticor sink.

• patches_02
    16 years ago

This way the soap can be put into either side of sink.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Patches: Yes, very handy that the soap dispenser can put soap in either sink with this set up.

However, it looks like you'd HAVE TO use the pulldown on the faucet to fill the big sink or fill a pot sitting in the big sink. The "reach" of the faucet spigot only comes to the top of the sink bridge. Is that a good thing? Doesn't look so handy from my photo view of this set up.

• patches_02
    16 years ago

No,actually the faucet swings over more and don't have to use pull down. same as the soap dispenser being able to go into each sink.

• akshars_mom
    16 years ago

patches, can you please tell me what your faucet is?

• patches_02
    16 years ago

Yes, it's made by Delta model # 978sssd called Brilliance.
    Not a real expensive one but i really like it. Got it at Home depot if you have one in your area.