Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

URGENT: I didn't properly visualize this

joygreenwald
9 years ago

Hello oh wise ones. I insisted on a pantry that is the same depth as the refrigerator cabinet it will sit next to. I fear i made a significant made a mistake. Now that the base cabinets are in, I can tell that my corner is going to difficult to access. I'm attaching a picture. I suspect that's just what it's going to be. The pantry cost a ton. ( You are seeing just the bottom part. There's another cabinet above that takes it up to the ceiling. ) The granite is already templated. But before I resign myself to it, I thought I'd at least reach out for suggestions.

Thanks on advance for your thoughts!!!

Comments (16)

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a wider angle shot. The empty space is where the range will be.

It's a small kitchen, and I was desperate for storage. Above the corner, next to the pantry is a 15" deep cabinet for my trays and baking dishes, etc, to be stored on end. The other wall has a 13" deep blind corner cabinet. Will it feel better when these are installed?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Is it a 33" or 36" lazy susan?

Do you mean there is a narrow tray cabinet next to the pantry, and the blind corner is accessed from an equally narrow door adjacent to it? I can't see you getting much of anything in or out of that corner, I'm afraid.

Can you somehow switch to an easy reach in the corner?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

How does your door open? Is it hinged so that it folds or opens flat? If it wasn't planned that way, I would look at modifying it before installation. The opening to the corner cabinet is the same as it would be with a base only on either side, but it will feel a bit more restricted with the pantry blocking the counter level. You deal with some of those things to make use of limited space and the storage is probably worth it. I think the key is making sure the door opens well enough to allow you access without banging your pantry or range. I have a weird kitchen with no corner cabinets and even my earlier kitchens with corners had only builder basic cabinets. I wish I knew more about how the details, but I think you can make this work. It may not be ideal, but we all have some things that are as good as they can be given what we have.

The uppers are going to make that corner more of a dark hole. That might bother me more. I have long arms and I see that corner cabinet being a pain and the counter being wasted space or a clutter catcher. You need the landing space next to the range, but I think I might have put a wall cabinet from the pantry to the corner from top to counter. Then a smaller cabinet next to the range for oils and spices, etc. You might be able to modify some of that by creating open shelf space (cookbooks, serving or mixing bowls -- easy to fill a small spot on the counter there).

I hope you get more expert corner advise. Better to work out the kinks now that after installing. Good luck. If you haven't had frameless cabinets, I think you will really enjoy how the little bits of added space add up to give you so much more.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

If the door is a 2 piece, hinged door it will need to open towards the range. If it opens towards the pantry it will bang up your pretty end panel. It will definitely be a little tighter getting into that corner but since you have the lazy susan's in there you shouldn't need to be reaching way back in the back of the cabinet. It may not be absolutely ideal but I don't see it as a deal breaker issue.

I think access to the counter corner will be more of an issue. It's gonna be a dark hole back in there with the deeper upper and deeper pantry next to it.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annkj, No, not a narrow tray cabinet. It's a 42" high by 20" wide by 15" deep upper. Inside the cabinet, I have dividers so that I can stack by trays and baking dishes on end. The other cabinet has 15" blind were it meets the one I was calling my tray cabinet, but it's 32" wide, 42" high, and 13" deep with a 14" door.

Lascatx, the lazy Susan is hinged in the middle and opens toward the range. We stuck with a counter top microwave to better accommodate my kids. I'm considering putting it next to the pantry. However, my plan had been for that counter to be where I kept the stand mixer and did my baking. I'm just disappointed that it won't be as good a landing/baking area as I'd hoped. This is our forever kitchen, and I feel like I really messed up.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Probably not possible, but by any chance can you pull the corner cabinet forward a few inches? Depends what is in the linup along that wall. The countertop can then extend over the empty space behind the susan on the pantry wall.

If there is a cabinet in the lineup on the wall perpendicular to the pantry which can be shortened--or narrowed, I guess--, it might be worth doing so.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I FIGURED IT OUT! Thank goodness!

Since we ended up extending the original kitchen wall more than we'd originally planned, it turns out that we have enough play to shift the refrigerator and pantry over 3" to the left. That will allow me to add a 3" blind on the left side of the lazy susan, which will make the corner a lot more accessible. (Plus, I'd lost my 3" peg board pull out next to my range do to less than perfect walls, and now I get it back.) Win/Win. Still won't be perfect, but I could have unhappily lived with it the way it was. So, this should be enormously better.

Anyone see a problem with the new plan?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

OK, I get it. I had it before, but didn't get the dimensions straight in my head.

I think your tray cabinet will be wonderful! Making it 15" deep was a good call - though it does "deepen" the corner counter area. As for the blind corner - at 13" deep (and a 14" door opening) you should be able to get things in and out - you just aren't going to want to use those things often.

I have a small corner microwave - not very powerful, but it gets the job done without taking up much space. Having a hood that actually works makes up for it! In your corner, I'd pull it forward to use. The nice thing is that the door isn't very big. I did measure before I bought it, to make sure my dinner plates fit inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner MW

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My last kitchen that did have corners had a micro in the corner. That works to fill the space and make it useful.

Glad you got your 3" back on the other wall. Enjoy!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a difference three inches makes! The change is costing me a fortune because they have to retemplate that corner. (If you consider $215 for a stupid mistake a fortune. Just a drop in the bucket of the project though.) But have I mentioned that this is my forever kitchen? ;)

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Glad you figured it out!

And $215 is not a fortune if it helps you enjoy your forever kitchen a whole lot more, instead of changing it later with changing the granite, floors, etc. Good catch.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Amazing what a difference 3 inches can make!! Are you going to get skins or stain it or something to make it match your cherry?

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

$215 is a bargain for what you are gaining! That 3 inches does make a huge difference here. Give yourself a tally sheet for each time you go into that corner, pay yourself $1 for each time you are thankful for the change, and you will probably have repaid yourself before your kitchen is 100 percent finished (if you are like the rest of us).

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dcward89, I'll have a 3" skin (or whatever it's really called, like a mini door) to cover. I have a few extra pieces I need to order. Since I switched from a OTR microwave to a hood, I already know I need two more finished ends. I'm just waiting for everything to go in, so I can place one order in the most economical way possible and to make sure I get the right pieces.

Amazingly, they are on their way to retemplate that corner and are planning to try to keep my install date!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I feel just as excited for you as when our cabinets/counters were going in!!! The reno process can be grueling at times but this is the fun part!!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

A huge difference!

Where is the 3" coming from? I can't remember what you have on the other side of the fridge.

Your templaters deserve cookies.