Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vote please

Posted by myboys1 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 11:18

Hi,
I would everyone to "vote" on which way they think my backsplash should end at the end row of cabinets. It will going from the countertop up the wall til it meets the upper cabinets. See picture. Choices are :

1. Run the backsplash all the way to the end where it hits the door moulding so the tile will be extended "next to" the upper cabinet for about 2 1/4".

2. Have the backsplash end in line with the upper cabinet so it will be 3/4" short of the end of the countertop and 2 1/4" short of the door moulding.

3. Have the backsplash end in-line with the end of the counter so it will end 3/4" short of the end of the wall/ door moulding and it will extend 3/4" beyond the upper cabinet and have a 1 1/2" space next to it.

I think there is no right or wrong way but would like all of your valuable opinions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vote please

To edge of counter.

o

To edge of counter.

o

In ours we went to the edge of the wall.

o

Edge of counter.

o

I always dislike tile just stopping willy-nilly on a wall if there's any other way.

I don't know what's on the other side of the door, but why not widen the doorway trim to fill in that gap to the cabinets? Then the tile would be run to the door frame, which would be the end of the counter.

o

Stop right at the point where the countertop edge starts to round down.

o

In line with the upper, leaving the counter overhang to run past 3/4"
Very traditional and common stopping point, sort of like a window sill's horns that run past a casing.

o

I like rosie's idea about changing the trim on the door so it meets with the counter/cabinet but if that is not an option then to the end of counter. It's always such a tough decision on how to end backsplashes in situations like this.

o

end of counter. Natural end point.

o

End of counter.

o

End of counter. Definitely not all the way to the door trim.

o

What BS are you using?

o

Option 4. I'd take it all the way to the doorframe and I'd have it slightly higher than the bottom of the upper cabinet(I'd find the highest point of the backsplash (looks like it might be higher under the microwave) and have it be up to there next to the doorframe.

o

I, too, like rosie's idea of the door trim. Otherwise, end it at the counter.

o

Option 4A--magsnj's idea but to the end of the counter and up a bit. Have you chosen your tile yet?

o

In my kitchen, we went to edge of upper cabinet.
And, I like it .

o

We went to the end of the counter - At my DM's retirement community - they didn't go to the end and it drives my eyes nuts..
In our case - we have a bit more space to the door and no frame.
 photo IMG_6867.jpg

o

Thanks for everyone's opinion. End of the counter it is. But I also really like the idea of changing the door trim to be wider to meet the end of the counter. It is the only remaining old trim on this side of the house and it very narrow so I should change it to match the others and to fill in that space. One more project ;)

Thanks so much!

o

Yep -- I'd say to the counter + change the door trim + extend it up a bit, as rosie and magsnj suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here