Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itstime2014_gw

paint color-HELP

itstime2014
9 years ago

hi all, i'm hoping some of you color wise ones on GW can help me choose a wall color. very small galley kitchen;stainless appliances, cider maple cabinets, red oak floor, leathered absolute black granite(black foam core here) and statuary classic marble mosaic backsplash(sorry its not a mounted mock up). i get confused by the hot and cool and then the whole undertone thing with colors. here are 3 choices;morning dew, october mist and saybrook sage, all BM. what do you think? am i even in the ball park? any suggestions? thanks for the consideration. dave

Comments (28)

• msrose
    9 years ago

Well, I may not be much help, but I think all three work. It just depends on how deep of a color you want. I'm leaning towards the 2nd one.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like all three. I would probably choose the first because I prefer my kitchen to be fairly light, but that's personal preference so ymmv.

Nice choices!

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Agree with other posters that all three work. I prefer the second or third just because they make more of a statement but if you are lacking in natural light you may want to stick with the lighter color.

Good choices!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

As a fan of all things not white, lol, I prefer #2 or #3. #1 works just fine too...I just like more saturated colors.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I prefer #1. IMO, it's just easier on the eyes, doesn't distract from any of the other elements, and lets the backsplash stand out. In the other pics, the first thing I notice is the paint.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of a room with Morning Dew walls, red-toned floor, and white woodwork. It mimics your colors, with the woodwork substituting for the white marble.

The saturated greens don't feel right with marble and is a cliche with cherry. I've lived with BM Georgian Green with cherry for almost a decade, and I'm ready to lighten it up with a cleaner green, no blue undertones.

• itstime2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers, i was wishin' and a hopin' you would chime in; thank you so much, and my same sincere thank you to all of the other GW posters for their well thought out feed back. of course this leads to another question, if i do go with BM morning dew, is the thinking to leave it to accoutrements in my small galley kitchen to add pops of color to accent? thanks for the consideration, dave

• enduring
    9 years ago

In your images I prefer #1. It looks very nice with the marble on my computer. All the colors go well together with all samples. I have a cherry cabinet with very dark stone counters. I went light for the walls because my kitchen only has one window. I love my light walls.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think you need a warmer color, and since it's a kitchen, us a color with more depth, i.e.: like #1 or #2.

Try BM Rosemary Sprig. It has a little more yellow in it versus the gray in your choices.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like the morning dew with the backsplash. The gray green looks nice with the backsplash because of the gray in the backsplash.

• itstime2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey tibbrix, thank you for your color suggestion;and with that thought, what would you think then of BM hawthorne yellow in my small galley kitchen?

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/hawthorneyellow

• itstime2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so this is BM hawthorne yellow

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Sunshiny yellow. I like cooler colors with warm reds and oranges-- opposites on the color wheel. I don't think you want to overpower or clash with the marble as it's a very special stone. I mean, what are you paying more for, a can of paint or marble backsplash?

I would even look at some grays with a green undertone. IMO, the cabinets are the saturated color in the room, and it's just a small galley.

• itstime2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey may_flowers, again many thanks! i'm hearing/seeing BM morning dew. just wanted to be sure. many thanks, dave

• enduring
    9 years ago

I used BM Titanium in my kitchen. It is a gray green white. It will be lighter than your morning dew, I believe.
    Here is Titanium in my tiny kitchen (7.5x12) along with natural cherry furniture:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Isitme, put a pic up of the kitchen with the walls still white (easier to paint on programs) and I and others can paint different colors for you and put pics up of it.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Try a sample of Sherwin Williams R ice Grain. It is cream with green under tone. Appears lighter in a larger area

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here it is with SW Artichoke, but you can see how the swatches on your wall and the yellow splotches distort the colors. If you can get a pic with only white on the walls, that would help a lot.

Can't get the BM colors you're asking about per se, but these can give you an idea and close proximity as to a color you might like.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Something similar to BM Hawthorne Yellow

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Seaworthy

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Thumbs up for morning dew!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Cape Verde
    (I too like colors with more depth in kitchens since there is very little wall space and it helps to define cabinetry and counters and give a kitchen a richer look. The kitchen is a great place to have the opportunity to use darker and bolder colors).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Labradorite

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the blues and the blue/greens best.

• itstime2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

many thanks tibbrix for all your work and color suggestions! interesting combos, but i keep hearing morning dew by BM calling me! time to commit. thanks to all, dave

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I'll repaint my LR/DR with Morning Dew. It faces north so I really would like to lighten up the Georgian Green. I really like that Morning Dew bedroom. So peaceful, but it does need a little more color in the accessories.

Good luck with your remodel, Dave.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Oh, and if you see any hint of mint, go to a more organic/herbal green without blue undertones. I don't see any mint in the bedroom photo though.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Another vote for Morning Dew (but Labradorite looks nice too). I would add colorful accessories like Fiestaware or nice table linens to accessorize since the caninets are a beautiful, rich tone, and the backsplash makes a statement. Sounds like its going to be beautiful when completed.