Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New faucet - how many holes?

Posted by pb927 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 11:14

Hi,

I'm installing new granite countertop and have purchased a faucet to go with it (Hansgrohe Talis C).

The faucet I purchased only needs one hole. I know some people like putting in a second hole for a soap dispenser, but we really don't need one. Is there value in getting the second hole put in anyway? Anything wrong with just installing a faucet with one hole?

Thanks,
PB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New faucet - how many holes?

No, no problem. If you need a second or third hole in the future, you can have one drilled on site - messy, but doable.

Have you considered an air switch for your disposal? That is on my top 3 best new things in our new kitchen. That would be one more hole. Also, does your area require an air gap for the dishwasher? Hopefully not, but if so you'll need one to pass inspection, and therefore a hole for it.

o

Thanks, I appreciate your response!

What is an air switch? We have a disposal, but a standard on/off switch. We're planning on keeping the same disposal.

I don't know what an air gap is either. Our current sink doesn't have one - I assume that means the new one won't need one (right?).

o

Air switch - best thing ever!! It's a push button near your faucet that switches the disposal off and on instead of the switch on the wall. Here's mine:
 photo airswitch.jpg

What you buy:

The button is what you see on top and it comes in finishes to match your sink. The box plugs into your outlet under the sink and the tubing connects the box to the switch and the box to the disposal. The whole thing costs around $52 and is a cinch to install. No more drippy hands getting everything between the sink and the wall switch wet. They're available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. as well as on line.

Air gaps - if you don't have one now, you don't need one. It's an antiquated way of making sure that the water from your DW doesn't back up into the clean water supply. Modern DWs have "high loop" plumbing that serves the same purpose; however, a few states still require the air gap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air switch on Amazon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here