Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Kitchen Pegboard organizer

acw2355
9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has purchased the Kitchen Pegboard Organizer by Wall Control. I'd like to get some opinions and/or reviews before I make the purchase. I saw this on the Houzz website and Amazon is carrying it or it can be purchased from the company but I don't see much in the way of reviews on the product.
Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pegboard organizer

Comments (5)

• emma
    9 years ago

Sorry, but my kitchen looks very nice and I would not spoil it by putting that thing on the wall. I keep everything in the cabinets except for decorative pieces.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 14:09

• plllog
    9 years ago

Well, that looks ridiculous! The price, I mean. If you're not handy and want black, it might be worth it. I don't agree with EmmaR. It might not be for her, but it could be very handy, and look nice in the right kind of kitchen. Julia Child was famous for having a wall of pegboard with pots and all on it. I believe her husband made it for her. My own mother had pegboard in what had been a built in ironing board cabinet, and when the laundry room was remodeled, she said, "Okay, but I need my ironing board cabinet with the pegboard." The GC had one built that hangs on the wall instead of built in, and she was very pleased.

Here's my pegboard cabinet--much fuller now than when the picture was taken, of course (the middle section is the message center). I learned from my mother how useful pegboard is and only had a tiny space between the wall and the slider.

I have pegboard in my studio as well, no cabinet, painted to match the woodwork. The pegboard at the hardware store comes in 4'x8' sheets of masonite, as well as smaller cuts (and many places will cut it to size for you). It's good and stiff, paints easily, and is easy to hang. Or you can get metal pegboard for a bit more. It wouldn't be powder coated, of course. That's the one advantage I see to your linked product. The black concerns me, however, because so many kitchen tools only come in black nowadays, or have some black on them, that it might look goofy.

You have to hang it from spacers, so there's room behind to get the hooks in. Those are just little strips of wood that they can help you with at the store. The hardware usually comes in silver color. You could paint that too, or, even better, dip in handle goo, if you wanted color.

If the exact size on offer by this company suits you, as well as the appearance, and it's worth it to you to have it all come in a box that you can just hang and forget, then the price might be worth it to you.

• acw2355
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your comments. The comments over at the Houzz site were similar; some hated the idea of pegboard in the kitchen, others loved it, referencing Julia Child's use of it.

I have a small galley kitchen and not enough storage cabinets. I don't have a place to hang a pot rack. Wall space too is limited but I do have two narrow areas that I could put these. My kitchen is white and grey, with a few red accents. Fridge, stove, microwave are all stainless steel.

The panels pictured in the link come in different colors but I prefer the black and I liked the idea of metal as it would not fray, absorb moisture, and it would be easy to clean. The panels can be put up separately as 16 x 32' which is what I am thinking about doing. I will however check at my hardware store and compare cost of doing it myself.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

I could see the advantage of pegboard in a kitchen with limited drawer/storage space, although in that case, I'd be inclined to put the utensils in a crock or something on the counter. But - it's your kitchen - do what works for you!

I'm guessing that the shop version of this would be more cost effective. They do have metal and plastic boards that are durable and come in different colors. The holes are spaced differently, though, depending on the board. So you'd have to remember and get the appropriate pegs for the board that you choose. The pegs are readily available, though - in most hardware stores, and you can choose the peg sizes and types to fit your needs - you don't have to buy an assortment that has pegs you won't use...we have peg boards in our shop - very convenient.

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

I don't have any feedback on that particular peg board. But I wanted to second the Julia Child reference and as a fellow galley kitchen owner I understand completely why this would appeal.I also wanted to link one of the most lovely GW kitchens of all times (IMHO), which prominently displayed cookware on a pegboard. Done right, it's practical and as the link shows, it can look great too.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW member Histokitch finished kitchen reveal

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company