Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

red wine stains on white cat lacquer cabinets?

illinigirl
9 years ago

We have only been in the house 2 months and I'm discovering my husband is being sloppy with the red wine. Tiny splatters in random shots in the cabinets. I'm not sure if it's splattering when he's pouring it or what...

409 , my usual stubborn stain remover, doesn't touch the red wine stains. Cleaner with bleach helps fade then but it has to soak in for a while to work, and on vertical surfaces this is hard to accomplish.

Any ideas to get these stains out that won't damage the finish?

Comments (9)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Peroxide in a spray bottle. But, if it's a true catalyzed lacquer, it shouldn't be staining in the first place.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is, and I can't understand why it's staining. Unless there is some other flaw that is looking like red wine stains but is actually something else. None of my other white cabinets in the house are getting these stains though except the kitchen ones.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Plain old 89 cent peroxide, first. You can progress through other oxygenating type products if that doesn't work.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the peroxide and oxyclean solution failed. The thing that works best is a spray cleaner with bleach. I have the target brand on hand. I bought a clorox bleach gel pen. Even that doesn't work quite as well as the bleach spray cleaner. I let it soak in on the spot and it fades considerably in 5-10 minutes. Probably not the best for the cabinet finish but I can't see any sheen changes on them.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My daughter had lots of very tiny rust colored mystery spots on her new off white Fieldstone bathroom cabinets which have a catalyzed lacquer finish. I tried cleaning them according to the manufacturer's directions and the spots didn't come off. The manufacturer's rep. came to the house to look at the problem. He put some acetone on a cloth, gently wiped the spots and like magic they disappeared before my eyes. He did not have to let it soak in. I would not have been brave enough to try acetone if someone had suggested it to me but the company rep. didn't hesitate to do so. It did not harm the finish on her cabinets. You might want to try acetone.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, I no longer think the stains are from red wine. Yesterday I gave the cabinets a very close inspection and cleaned every spot I found. Last night no one drank any red wine. This morning I found another stain from something settled on the rail of one of the 5 piece drawer fronts.

I think it's from the Sparkle glass cleaner that I've been using to clean the granite and quartz counters. The granite fabricator recommended Sparkle to me on the granite because it's ammonia free unlike Windex. And I've been using it with beautiful results. In my other rooms I have quartz and been using up my windex in those rooms. But the kitchen I use the Sparkle.

Those of you not familiar with Sparkle it has a purple tint to it. I think some errant sprays are getting on the cabinets and staining as they dry. That is what i suspect...I have not run a test on it as why would I want to add another stain to my cabinet fronts?

anyways. I'm going to remove the sparkle for a week or so and see if I continue finding new stains or not.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Drat that's frustrating! I wish companies would stop loading their products with colorants and fragrance. Too bad for a product that worked well. At least you caught it early.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest damping paper towel with cleaner for vertical surface, but I see you have found the culprit. Windex does make two ammonia free cleaners, one called crystal rain, and it can clean any surface including granite. I like it very much and use it on many surfaces with great results. Bad news is not every place sells it, but I can find it at the local grocery store. Glad to know that your husband isn't a sloppy drunk! :)