Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

do you have a laundress horse hair broom?

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

If so, tell us about it.
I'm fantasizing about having a wonderful broom for our 200 year old pine floors. I hate getting out a vac.
There is a 100$ horsehair broom on the other broom thread. That's waaaay over the top!
Hope this isn't going to divert information from the other thread, but it is a specific q.
Thanks

Comments (19)

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I have a c. $40 German horsehair broom from nessentials.com, and it's fabulous, FWIW. You don't have to order their most expensive model to get the benefits of horsehair.

Is "laundress" a specific brand?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Circus peanut, cod you be more specific - which model do you have?

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I have this model, which costs $34:

It requires a handle which is another $10, but I just used a spare wooden handle I had lying around from a broken older mop. (That said, the handle I owned was also German; not sure if there are differences in the screw threads from metric - US or not.)

They have a cheaper version at $25, and a split horsehair version that's a bit more spendy, at $50, but is supposed to be the top of the line. Not sure what broom you're referencing that costs $100?

Here is a link that might be useful: $34 horsehair broom

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Just for a laugh. I wonder if I could make one even cheaper by cutting the manes of my ten horses!

LOL

Karen

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Karen, you probably could, and then you could sell them to US (LOL)!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Karen, you probably could, and then you could sell them to US (LOL)!

• function_first
    10 years ago

Posted Saturday, 01/11/2014: If youâÂÂve been wanting to try one of these out AND youâÂÂre in the Boston Metrowest area -- last night I found horse hair brooms at Homegoods in Milford (MA). $12.99 (includes the handle). I also picked up a nifty dustpan that looks like an old feed shovel (aluminum) for another $8 both are Burstenmann brand and marked âÂÂMade in Germany.â All in IâÂÂm about $21. I did come home and sweep the kitchen floor (on a Friday night -- ah, the excitement!) it was a different sort of experience. I donâÂÂt know how to describe it except to say it was sort of âÂÂsoftâ more like petting the wood. All in all I liked it -- for 20 bucks, anyway. :-) It did do a pretty good job of sweeping up the âÂÂstuffâ too. If you read this anytime after Saturday morning, I wouldnâÂÂt go racing out there as I donâÂÂt think these will last, there were only about 5 total (most of whatâÂÂs in the picture are cocoa bristle, just a few are horse hair)-- some varnished handle, some unvarnished, some had two tone bristles, and some didnâÂÂt . Some had slightly rounded head, some were straight. Kind of a hodgepodge of horsehair brooms.

I will add that a month or so ago I picked up a horse hair counter brush (two actually), one for the kitchen counter and one for the bench in the workroom. WeâÂÂre loved those -- I used it to dust my house when I first got it, and the bristles are amazingly âÂÂstickyâ toward dust (and oh so soft). I mention that because they had one of those there, too (but only one).

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by kris_ma on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 6:46

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I've been meaning to thank you for this, kris_ma, I found a lovely horse hair dusting brush and an adorable small high quality scrubbing brush at a Homegoods in St. Pete Florida.

• function_first
    10 years ago

Ah, glad it helped. I just used my broom again today, and I really do like it. Lately Homegoods seems to have them at most of their stores (around me, anyway), though the selection varies each time IâÂÂm in. I really think they have buyers that read Gardenweb because these definitely did not show up in their stores until the horsehair broom thread sat on the front page of the Kitchens forum for a month.

Thanks for letting me know!

• homeimprovementmom
    10 years ago

I don't know how you would be able to tell if there are nylon bristles packed in a supposedly horsehair broom if the nylon bristles were not obvious but it seems like a lot of brooms claiming to be horsehair have nylon mixed in. But some of the horse hair brooms are not fully horse hair. If you can absolutely say with true confidence that you own a horse hair broom - please post the manufacturer. The 2 tone one in the photo in this thread looks more like a combination of horse hair and goat hair.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Several of us bought brooms from Nessentials. I have the split horsehair one and love it. As Holly Kaye said, "it sweeps like butter". Never thought I'd get excited about a broom. This is Gwlolo's pic of the split horsehair. I'm too lazy to get up & take a picture of mine.
    Edit: typo

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 23:55

• azmom
    10 years ago

Hello Romy, Holly Kaye,

We need a new broom; is the link below pointing to the one that you purchased and love it?

How does it hold up? How do you clean it after each use?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Split horsehair broom link

• iroll_gw
    10 years ago

Heh heh, about a year ago, I happened to catch Martha Stewart doing a segment about broom maintenance. I said to DH, "Who knew there was such a thing as broom maintenance?"
    He replied, "Honey, you go so fast on yours that no one can see it anyway."

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

What's the difference between the threaded and non-threaded handles? I mean, how does the non-threaded handle stay put? I have problems with threaded handles with our outdoor broom, constantly threading it when it gets loose.

• romy718
    10 years ago

azmom - that's the one we got, the split horsehair. I just take mine outside & shake it. I also got a brush comb at Ulta (similar to the one at N'essentials) but I haven't had the need to use it yet.
    Goodbyekitty- my threaded handle has stayed put. Some of the brooms require a threaded, some non-threaded. i'm guessing the non-threaded have a tight fit. Just a guess.

• function_first
    10 years ago

homeimprovementmom - while I am pretty sure I would be able to tell the difference between natural (e.g. horsehair) bristles and nylon (have used both kinds of hairbrushes over the years -- not tough to tell the difference), I agree that goat hair vs. horse hair would be more difficult. The brooms at Homegoods had a sticker on them with a german word, which didnâÂÂt mean anything to me, so used the smart phone to look up the meaning, and itâÂÂs English translation was âÂÂhorsehairâÂÂ. Short of being the person who actually plucks the hair off the horse, itâÂÂs about the as confident as anybody can get to being able to "absolutely say with true confidence that you own a horse hair broom.â Would having it say âÂÂhorsehairâ on an internet site give anymore confidence than a sticker?

The two tone was only one of the brooms available, they had full black ones, as we âÂÂpettedâ them in the aisle at Homegoods, there seemed to be little difference in the feel of each.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I know from experience that natural hair is better than nylon in brooms, but who says horsehair is better than goat hair? I actually chose to get a broom made from boar bristle and its fantastic. (I do need one of those cleaning combs though - I'll try Ulta).

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

homeimprovementmom --

"Rein RoÃÂhaar" means "pure horsehair", and the Germans are pretty strict about labeling, so I'd look for the Bürstenmann brand.

• azmom
    10 years ago

I went to two local HomeGoods stores nearby, they have different versions of brooms, with and without "horsehair" labels, priced between $12.99 - $19.99. I tried and noticed every single one dropped hair, the price is very good but I did not get any.

Romy, sorry to bother you again, does your horsehair boom drop hair? Thank you.