Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Do you think this looks too 'off center'?

lavender_lass
10 years ago

Quick question about farmhouse plan...I want to show this to our friend/contractor this weekend (it's fair time, so everyone comes out) and I want to know if you think this looks too 'off center'?

The kitchen plan I really like...whenever I tweak it a bit, it ends up back here :) The problem is the dining room is not lined up, because of the fireplace. The fireplace is raised and sticks out about 3', so the window looks great from inside the room. There, it's centered. But from the kitchen...does the chair off set it enough? Just wanted fresh set of eyes! {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Comments (27)

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Does it matter that it is centered? the door to my dining room is 48" wide, but it is on the one side of the kitchen with another 80" wall beside it. I can see into the dining room from the kitchen but it certainly isnt centered. I've never given any thought to it. I think your plan looks great. It is always nice to be able to see into other rooms.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ali :)

Here's the other option...which is nice too, but I like the idea of having different 'views' from the island. I'll probably put the 'sink part' in and then use a table slid up to it..so I can change my mind a dozen times! LOL {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

You must be wanting to have the window line up with the table? Because, otherwise, is there any reason why the window can't be centered on the wall (despite the fireplace)?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dining room would be merger of this window seat...
    {{gwi:1422907}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And this table, fireplace, and long drapes on each side of the window seat. {{gwi:1493647}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Stove with windows on both sides...although valances instead of curtains...and probably not Aga, but same idea with fridge. {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And lots of windows over sink and door to sunroom...love this Laura Calder kitchen :) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

See everyone later...need to take cake and roses to fair!

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

I like option one...lol no valid reason, just do. I had a huge feeling of relief when i finally ordered cabinets so that I could stop thinking about the layout. What I learnt was for myself, I had to do what worked for my family not what was necessary the best to the experts. So while my layout may not be the "best" it is the best for us. I think pulling the table up to the island makes it feel larger and I would be more likely to sit at it, whereas the stools at the island (we had) but they were rarely used. Will your friend give you his/her unbiased opinion?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Raee- Hi! Thanks for the response. The 'dining room' is the current living room, in our old farmhouse. It's a nice sized room (18' x 14') but with the fireplace, pretty cozy. I want to open the wall to the kitchen and make it one big space (with the arch). The front of the house is brick, so moving the window would not be my first choice. But, I do like the proposed kitchen layout. I think the windows on each side of the range break up the space a bit...and the left one kind of lines up with the big window :)

Ali- You didn't use your stools? Interesting...and glad your new kitchen is such a good fit for you and your family!

I think the 'sink island' makes the layout so much better (than no prep sink) but I like the idea of adding a counter height or regular height table (or stool counter) to the island, rather than having something permanent. I like the flexibility. A shorter kitchen table would be much better right now (husband still recovering from neuropathy) or even no table, so there's more accessibility.

I do like the idea of people talking across a small work area though, rather than lined up. Seems more inviting and easier for the nieces/nephews to 'help' decorate cookies. Less 'he/she is touching me/bumping my elbow' this way! LOL

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Lavender, I think the reason the stools weren't used was because at the time there were 4 kids and they did exactly what you imagine your nieces/nephews doing. Then they simply got too big for the space (3 boys all around 6 ft. 1 skinny daughter..lol)

I live in an old farmhouse that is triple brick so I would definitely not recommend moving the window. We enlarged one of ours (back to the height of the original) and even that was a hassle, the header that was in there wasn't strong enough, the bricks didn't hold together as well as expected, patch work needed to be done on the outside. Part of the problem is that we have 3 layers of brick to deal with. In the end I am happy with my window, but I made it bigger. I don't think I would have been happy if there was a big patched piece to the one side, besides from the outside wouldn't it look off center?
    Good luck with hubby's recovery :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ali! He's doing so much better...it really helps to have him home :)

Do you have pictures of your farmhouse? It sounds like a wonderful home!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I like your first plan. I am generally a symmetry freak, but I am not at all bothered that the dining room table and kitchen island don't line up. They are in separate rooms. I don't think multi-room symmetry is necessary, especially if you want to keep your sanity, lol.

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Lavender, I will take some pictures when the kitchen is done. Right now all the rooms are filled with kitchen stuff so all i see is stuff. Rather congested looking!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay- Thanks. Good point about wanting to keep our sanity! LOL

Ali- That would be great...not that many old farmhouses on the forums :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One other idea I've considered (reminded of it on Mountmerkel's post) is a box bay, for the window seat. With the brick, I think it would be okay...but need to do more research.

What I like is that the table is now lined up more with the fireplace (there I go again, LOL) and there's room for another chair and a little ottoman. I think the table should definitely be the focus, but I really like additional seating. Just makes everything so cozy and gives you a place to curl up with a book, when it snows :) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 17:14

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Window seats are great. Just make sure it is wide enough to be comfortable to curl up in! Our house is old...1895...lol at least on the outside :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very true! I should also try to incorporate some pocket doors or interior french doors, to close off the kitchen/dining room from the living room. When the TV is blaring, it's difficult to read. Most of the time I like things open, but sometimes it's nice to keep things a little more separated :)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like this last one, where the table is in line with the fp. I don't think it needs to be in line with the kitchen/island. Besides, it's a farmhouse, so imperfectly fitted looks appropriate.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snookums- Thanks! I think you're right, the table looks more like it fits the room this way, not just stuck in the middle of the (former) living room. And good point, about imperfect fit being appropriate for a farmhouse :)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I think I like the square table as well. I don't think lining up furniture in two different room is necessary nor do I think it will be that noticeable when in either room. I think the aerial view exaggerates it more. I actually laughed at my KD because she wanted to shrink my sink cab so the faucet would line up better with the window.

Have you painted yet...I want to see what wild asparagus (soup) looks like on the walls!!! Good luck and all the best for a speedy DH recovery!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mgoblue! In our current kitchen, we need to clean first (take a few pictures) and then paint. I hope to do it this weekend, but it's fair weekend, which means people love to stop by and visit. So, it might be next weekend, before I get paint on the walls :)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Have fun - at the fair and whenever you paint. I love paint projects because you see the results immediately, it makes such a big difference, and it's relatively cheap!!!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

Our newly open family room / kitchen is not centered. The family room is several feet wider than the kitchen, but they start from the same point. Kinda bugs me, kinda doesn't. It helps that we don't have a modern, clean lined house. I think off centeredness in a farm house would look appropriate and fine.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mgoblue- I love to paint! It makes such an immediate difference and it is cheap! LOL

Kitten- I think you're right...the off-centered wouldn't bother me so much, especially if there are other pieces (like the chairs and window seat). Thanks :)

Just sitting here, taking it easy (long story, tripped and almost really hurt myself this morning) so I'm having too much fun 'coloring' in my kitchen and dining room. I'm trying a sink/range switch, with glass uppers on each side of the range. I really like this picture on the other post, but it might be nice to have more storage...so maybe this glass as the doors. I do want to have a range, not a cooktop, so there would be one oven here...and another oven and microwave, in the baking area. {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

how much will the dining room table in it's full capacity be used?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A lot, mainly because we'll use it as an extension of the office space, during the day. The study will also be office space (and maybe a bit of the sunroom) since we have a home based business and tend to spread out for big projects :)

• deedles
    10 years ago

I'm liking the window seat a lot! And the idea of a sliding door to close off the area.

That picture of the stove is gorgeous. Wow.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

Hi Lass: what I thought for a minute won't work if the table is up with it's extensions and chairs and used a lot..My grandma had a large dining room and one wall had floor to ceiling glass panels with a door as one panel that opened and folded back for a good sized passage when needed..old brass framing and hinges etc on these panels..she also had drapes across them-there must have been some plaster wall at the top.....she would completely open/close drapes depending on activities.... Your passage from front hall could be an interesting place for some doors that open/close in a clever way....then if table would be left with leaves down or a smaller round table were placed, on left side as in "parlor table" effect..., you would clear almost half the room on fireplace side for a real seating venue ,facing fireplace wall ...making a focal point and .....maybe cost saving as the redo of your front windows wouldn't be needed .. But if the table serves as "office"-granted,that need is driving everything. I tend to think a fireplace wall is an incredible spot for focus and you are going to go big and spendy if redoing windows at the front and making another focus wall......seems like a duplication for the room in a way......just be sure....you can do a lot in there already with what you have, no doubt.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles- Thanks :)

Herbflavor- I am ALWAYS open to new ideas. That's why I'm posting. Do you mean add doors or curtains, between the hall and dining room?

One thing I've noticed, living out here...is that a lot of guys don't want to sit on the upholstery. They're farmers and they don't want to 'get my nice stuff dirty'. It's pretty much slipcovered and washable (or scotch guarded) but they are so sweet that way. It's easier to get them to sit down at the table and chat, as long as it's not 'too fancy' (LOL)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this lines up much better! I lose the doorway to the living room, but honestly, I didn't like it very much. Too loud with the TV...and I prefer to play music, while I bake :)

My mom and I both have our TV rooms a few extra steps from the kitchen and it seems to work out fine. Plus, there are plenty of places to sit and visit in this space! {{gwi:1501235}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts