Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

Quartz that resembles marble?

momali3
15 years ago

In the new house we are building, we have a fairly large kitchen with an island. After vacillating back and forth between granite, soapstone, quartz, even tile for a day or two, it is finally beginning to look like we're going to go for soapstone on the island and quartz on the perimeter counters. I know, some GWebbers advise against this combo, saying "natural with man-made, not a good look" or "real stone with soft look with engineered with plastic look, no good" etc. etc. But for many reasons, I am moving in this direction anyway. So! In your opinion, what is the quartz that most resembles marble? I want a neutral, off-white surface so that the soapstone will be the highlight and the other counters will be pretty but fade into background. Off-white cabinets, hardwood floors (medium brown, not light, not dark). Traditional look. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (12)

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

You could look into Okite which has been mentioned in this forum. They have a Venati Collection which has a Bianco Carrara that resembles marble. You can call them in Texas and they will send you samples. Look on the web at www.okite.com.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Well Christopher Peacock used Caesarstone in Misty Carrara in the "Kitchen of the Year" at Rockefeller Center. He use it on ALL the countertops though.

I think that if you want to combine something with Quartz go for something very different like wood -- not another hard material.

• christen7
    15 years ago

Caesarstone has several very pretty off-white neutral colors. Jerusalem Sand looks like limestone. They also had 2 or 3 others that sound like the look your going for. We are contemplating granite and caesartstone. Good luck!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I agree with christen, Jerusalem Sand is gorgeous! Depending upon the color of your cabinets and floors, it could look stunning paired with soapstone.

• positano
    15 years ago

Try looking at Luce di Luna Quartzite. I have friends that have used it in their kitchens and love it. I'm considering it for mine too. Passed stain tests beautifully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luce di Luna

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh man, that Luce is gorgeous. Wish I'd seen that when we were picking out our counter top. That may just have to find a home in one of our bathrooms.

• positano
    15 years ago

It really is gorgeous. Some of the slabs I looked at had creams, whites, greys, greens and some blacks. Just beautiful. I just hope I can afford it.

• momali3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That quartzite slab is gorgeous! Pardon my ignorance, but what IS quartzite? I am assuming it's not granite and not marble. Is it comparable in price to these stones and soapstone? guess I'll go do a GW search for it and see what I can learn; that's better than Googling!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

"Natural quartz is an extremely hard and dense material that can usually deal with high temperatures and pressures without damage. The surface of natural quarried quartz can be incredibly smooth, making it highly desirable for countertop use. Quartz is also just as strong as both granite and marble due to its tough internal structure. It is also far less porous than both of these surfaces, meaning less fear of stains permanently damaging the surface."

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on Quartzite Countertops

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I have the zodiaq Okite in a dark dark brown (not what you're looking for) but it also comes like carrera...

I have to say that this Luce is amazing! Does it stain like marble?

• positano
    15 years ago

I tested my sample of quartzite with lemon juice,lemonade, ketchup, black sharpie, and blue food coloring. Left all of them on over night and it all came off. I did seal it first though. No etching and no staining. I was very impressed.

Stone Source was very expensive...probably about $150 sf. But she told me if I got another fabricator it would be a lot less.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

There is a natural (rather than manmade) quartzite that resembles marble and is harder than marble and granite. It is gorgeous and it came in second to my Yellow River granite. Price was also a bit cheaper than my granite by $2.00 a foot.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company