Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for electric range moderate price?

Posted by loves2read (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 11:01

read and added comment to the one thread I found about electric ranges in more moderate price range...
want to get one for son and his wife for early Christmas present--
they bought house with electric range and it is a danger...
was supposed to be repaired before closing and it looked like it was but whatever they did was not of any real use...
They would like to run gas line and convert to gas eventually but they can't afford it now...
just would like ceramic cooktop--doesn't have to have convection over--they are not much for baking...
just want something where the temp controls are fairly accurate and cooktop doesn't heat up so much...
Have seen positive reviews for GE, Amana, Fridgidair under $600 and there is wholesale supply house where I might be able to get better range cheaper--but need to have specific models when I call for pricing...

Suggestions welcomed...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for electric range moderate price?

GE gets the best reviews for inexpensive cooking equipment. The Whirlpool/Maytag conglomerate does OK with mid range stuff, but their cheap stuff is really cheap. Frigidaire is builder grade all the way through till you get to the top price level, and even then a lot of it uses the same crappy components.

My top suggestion to you would be the GE JBS55DMWW. It gets wonderful reviews and is a workhorse. You can get black or white on sale for $499 with free delivery. (Remember that the actual range cord will need to be purchased, and that older homes will need a 3 wire cord.) If they want stainless steel, that's $100 more that I would make them pay for. There's no shame in having black or white appliances in a starter home!

Here is a link that might be useful: JBS55DMWW

o

FWIW, Consumer Reports' "Best Buy" in the 30-inch Smoothtop category is the GE JB700DN[WW].

Very similar look the the model posted by LWO. Sugg ret. $700

o

Tanks
That is model on my list
Might go to Sears outlet and check some they list as floor models vs refurbished---some prices for same model are 200 less than others for what seems better choice
Don't know why that would be the case if it was unblemished
Just would need to see first hand the condition

o

Kenmore always ranks high (best buy) on consumer reports lists. I have a Kenmore smooth top that is about 6 years old. Did have to replace burner but it works just fine.

o

I put a double oven range in my house a year ago and love it. I am moving and just put the exact same model in my new house. It a Whirlpool and everything on it works perfectly.

It allowed me to get rid of my toaster oven and I very rarely have to heat up the big oven. I cook and bake in the little one almost exclusively.

Sears doesn't manufacture their own appliances, Kenmores are rebadged Whirlpool, Fridgaire, etc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here