Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailsam

What kind of backsplash do you have?

AilsaM
12 years ago

How many of you have your back splash as a 4" continuation of your countertop - or did you leave it 'clean'? I am planing on a green slate countertop but I can't decide between having a 4" slate back splash and then tiling above it or just the tile. My cabinets will be medium-dark colored Oak in a craftsman style. I need to decide before I put in the stone order. I would love to hear what others did.

Here is the slate for the counter with the cabinet color samples behind it.

Thanks in advance. I always get such great suggestions from everyone.

Ailsa

Comments (15)

• friedajune
    12 years ago

First, I just want to say that I have never seen slate that looks like that. I thought that was marble or quartzite. Very pretty, though it doesn't read at all green on my monitor.

In answer to your question, my preference is for the tile to meet the countertop, with no 4" strip of counter on the wall. The look of a 3-4" strip of countertop on the wall dates back to the formica counter days, and also to before modern counter fabrication where a counter is cut precisely to meet the wall, with no gap. For me, the only reason I would have a 4" strip of counter on the wall is if I were not going to have a backsplash otherwise, and wanted to protect the wall from splatters, etc.

In any case, I will list the reasons why I do not like a small strip of counter on the backsplash:

- you will spend a lot of effort designing a beautiful tile backsplash; why cut it short by 4".

- the additional horizontal line of the 4" strip will visually make the space between your counter and upper cabinets look smaller and more cramped

- the 4" backsplash creates a small "ledge" which collects dust. Yet one more thing to clean.

- you will be charged for the material and installation for the 4" backsplash; money that you may have preferred to spend elsewhere.

This is all MHO. If you simply like the look, as a lot of people do, get what YOU want.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

What akchicago said. Plus, many think the 4" strip is dated. For me, it's too busy if you're going to put tile above. There was a thread recently about whether or not the 4" strip of counter material is dated. It might be hard to find in a search, but it was interesting.

So, I would not do the 4" strip in your case. Pick a great complimentary tile and run that up to the upper cabs.

That's slate??? It's gorgeous! It doesn't etch or stain does it?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

We ran our b/s tile down to the countertops.

Echoing the others--your slate is going to look fabulous!

• AilsaM
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Akchicago: this is slate from New England quarries (NY,VT,NE). It comes in warn green (I agree the picture doesn't do it justice) grey and black. One NY quarry says they have a purple (dark amethyst).

http://www.evergreenslate.com/slate-colors-structural.html
    http://www.sheldonslate.com/kitchen-bath/slate-countertops.php

I think it is beautiful. Does not stain and needs no sealant. I completely agree with the idea of running the counter to the wall. But I thought I would see what others thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate counter colors

• enduring
    12 years ago

What about tiling in the same material as the counter (or run large sections of stone up to the upper cabs)? The slate is very pretty and looks like marble on my monitor too.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Wow! That is beautiful! I didn't know slate could look like that. That just made it onto my list of possibilities for the future cottage kitchen.

I agree with the posters above regarding the reasons not to get the 4" backsplash. We tiled down to the counters and are very happy with how it looks.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous. I agree with the others - if you have a tile BS, leave out the 4" strip of slate. But I love my full granite backsplash. Is that something that would work for you, taking the slate right up to the cabs? It's a definite "look," and it can be more expensive, depending on the price of your stone vs. the price of tile that you like (some tile + installation is more than some stone), but if you have such lovely stone, you might want to consider it.

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

The 4" backsplash counter harks back from the days where the latest novelty was a formica counter with a SEAMLESS 3-4" backsplash extension, that was all the rage. You really had the shell out the big bucks to get this, back in the 70's.

There is no aesthetic or practical reason to do this with granite, and I'll add that:

- It looks heavy and blocky.
    - It makes your counter less deep by half an inch.

• calimama
    12 years ago

Love that slate! Didn't even know it existed- it's gorgeous. Agree with everyone else- no 4 inch backsplash needed. It would make a beautiful full backsplash though, as Ginny stated.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I am anti-b/s. I like them very simple or not at all. I think this material would create a strong horizontal band around the room, which I am not sure you would want.

• AilsaM
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am so appreciative of all your comments. It has really made me think about what I like and how I want the kitchen to look. I realize now that I much prefer the look without the 4" 'slash. I like the way the tiled wall make the area look larger and more distinct. Everybody has their own ideas but it is so helpful to find a group that can talk about it and express their ideas. Thanks.
    Boxerpups could you give me the wood type for these two kitchens? Or I can research if you have reference info. Thank you kindly!

and

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

My newly installed backsplash, Hakatai Ice Iridescent glass mosaic.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Uroboros5.
    Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

AilsaM,

So sorry I no longer have the info. They were google images
    for backsplash tile.

I believe the wood type is quarter sawn oak mixed with
    regular cut oak. And the second looks like a Maple.
    Wish I knew for sure.
    ~bp

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I am usually opposed to the 4" backsplash, but here's a kitchen where it really works.

This kitchen is from Ashley Goforth Design. Isn't it gorgeous???