Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Cleaning under permanently installed, furniture-look cabinets

julieste
9 years ago

My question is about a bathroom vanity, but I figured I'd get more replies here because probably more people have this situation. I am thinking about ordering a furniture-look vanity with 3" or 4" tall legs. Since this is obviously a permanent installation that I wouldn't ever be able to move for cleaning, I am wondering if cleaning under something like this is a huge pain. Should I just go with a toe-kick, fake-front option instead even though I much prefer the look of the real legs? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Just finished cleaning under my furniture look vanity about 10 minutes ago. I don't find it difficult at all. For routine cleaning I just run a swiffer sweeper with their dry dusting cloth on it under the cabinet. It easily fits under the cabinet opening. Just use one of their wet cloths when you want it mopped. My vacuum cleaner wand also fits under the opening with no problem so sometimes when I am vacuuming my MB I just vacuum the bathroom too. I am one of those who also uses the vacuum to get hair or dust out of my whirlpool tub when needed- works great for that.

When I originally had my vanity installed the installer thought cleaning under it might be an issue and suggested putting in a recessed to kick. We tried it but did not like the way it looked so he uninstalled it

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If you ever spill something sticky, the inability to scrub under the vanity is a serious annoyance. The raised space collects dust bunnies, hair pins, and other crud.

Make sure it's high enough to actually clean under it - does the vacuum, a dust mop and a real mop (or your arm and a sponge) fit under it.

• User
    9 years ago

Huge PIA in my showroom. When we had the ladybug infestation last winter, we could not vacuum all of the parts and pieces out from underneath the cabinets or from between the cabinets legs and toekick. I went out and bought a "office detailing" kit for the ShopVac, and still was unable to get it all. Probably OK though, because the spiders will munch on the bug parts.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

"Probably OK though, because the spiders will munch on the bug parts."

LOL, that's the way to put a positive spin on it, LWO!

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if I do this look, I should think about legs of 5" or 6" high so I can really get under them with a vacuum? Or, is that still not enough room.

badgergal--How high are the legs on your vanity?

• badgergal
    9 years ago

The opening under my cabinet is 3.5 inches high. Honestly it is not a problem for me to clean under it.

• taggie
    9 years ago

We have something similar in our cottage and it was the biggest pain in the behind; I absolutely abhored it ... until ... (drum roll) ... the swiffer! Best invention ever (well, next to the dyson cordless vac and canned beer). Seriously, that thing is magic for reaching under hard to get to places. Get the vanity you love, get a swiffer, and you're good to go.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swiffers have an adjustable head to go in at an angle so I don't need to have a straight shot with lots of room to get the long handle in the front, correct? This is a small bathroom with the tub set directly across from the vanity, and the toilet next to it.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I love the look. I have a furniture piece in my powder room, it is not a problem at all. It isn't that deep so as to be hard to reach and I love how it looks. It makes the room seem bigger and I like seeing the flooring go all the way to the wall. We have other furniture that has to be cleaned underneath such as a dresser, bed, sofa, so it's no different than cleaning under any other furniture. I also use a Swifer or my vacuum hose with attachment to clean under. I have two dogs so if I wait too long to vacuum there will be dust bunnies but they also get under my other furniture. As long as you can get a vacuum hose under it or the Swifer handle, that is as much height as you need. Norwex has a Swifer like duster that has a washable pad that you can use for wet cleaning. Good luck!

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I have two bathrooms with raised furniture-like vanities. Both have about 15 inches of clearance, one has legs and the other is cantilevered.

I have no problem cleaning under them, and I like the look. It did eat into the storage capacity, and we now simply store fewer unused items ;)

These do give the bathroom a great look. I'd never want to go back to the heaviness of a full structured vanity.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Need info, my bathroom is also small with the tub directly across from the vanity. i think I have approx. 5 ft Between the two. The swifter does swivel in all directions and lays almost flat. You shouldnt have any trouble getting it under the vanity. If the handle is too long for your space yo can always remove one section of it to make it shorter.

• weissman
    9 years ago

What you can't see won't hurt you unless it crawls or slithers :-)