Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unlacquered or uncoated brass bar faucet?

Posted by californiagirl (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 10:52

I am trying to source a brass bar faucet with a living finish, one that will tarnish to a dull brass. Newport makes faucets in this finish but it is a special order with a four week lead time. Rohl can obtain their Country line (made by Nicolazzi in Italy) in a raw polished brass, but again, it's a custom order.

Has anybody found a manufacturer who stocks uncoated brass faucets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unlacquered or uncoated brass bar faucet?

I had an Herbeau brass faucet in my old house. $$$, but it wasn't a custom order that I recall. Purchased at Faucet Direct, IIRC.

Best thing to clean it with - by the way - a paste called Shedazzle. Much easier than brass-o or the like. I only polished my faucet on rare occasions. But I always had to watch my MIL around it because she was crazy with the bleach in my white Shaw's sink - destroyed my brass disposal flange with her obsessive cleaning!

o

"one that will tarnish to a dull brass."

Until ANY acid touches it.

Even the mildest acids will strip the "living finish" back to bare metal.

It will be "living" all right. looking different just about every day before and after you wipe it clean.

o

Yes, you probably should know that it won't tarnish to a lovely even dull patina. My range handles had speckles on them where god knows what from the pot hit them. The faucet had splotches. That said, I loved them. But having true living brass in your kitchen is probably harder than dealing with marble etching :-)

Funny thing, for all the bellyaching about brass that still goes on - the young woman who bought my house *loved* that brass faucet. It's nothing like the horrid 80's brass, for sure.

o

Probably should have said that we already have in use an uncoated brass bar sink and know all about the reality of patina. In an old house patina helps blend new spaces into the original ones, so we prefer materials that "age".

Forgot about Herbeau, probably because the faucets are so pricey, but they might be in stock and that might be worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here