Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

Changing out over range microwave for range hood

nadine33
9 years ago

Hi all,

Had our house built 2 1/2 years ago and went with an over the range microwave that has exterior venting. Now I'm so sick of the steam/smoke etc etc as it just doesn't vent well. Also cabinets above it get filthy. Looking to switch out to a range hood. I'm leaning towards the ones that slide out so that I can still reach the cabinet above it. Does anyone have any suggestions of model/brand etc? I'm also a little concerned with the size of the vent hole, as I'm pretty sure the microwave is a rectangle shape out the back (it does not go up through the cabinets) but it is on an interior wall so we can't easily change it.

Comments (5)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If it was not correctly installed within the wall cavity, that, besides the MV/Vent combo seldom exceed 300CFM, is probably the reason for your dissatisfaction for the performance.

So now you need to follow the cooking appliance mfg recommendations for the correct CFM recommended for that appliance.

Your rectangular vent may not be able to facilitate the volume of exhaust of the new venting appliance.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Is there a tiled backsplash behind the range? If so, keep in mind that when you take down the OTR MW you may have some un-tiled wall exposed because the hood is not going to be as tall as the OTR MW was. If you have stored somewhere leftover tile from your backsplash, then there is no problem to tile that exposed space. But I wanted to make sure you were aware of that potential issue.

Your ductwork will likely be a constraint, unfortunately. Depending on your setup, you may be able to install a larger duct, but that depends on location of the duct, cabinetry, etc. Still, with your existing ductwork you can install a 300 cfm hood, and it will still be better than a 300 cfm OTR MW. If you go to a 450 cfm hood without a large enough duct, you will get tremendous noise, and the hood won't be more effective than a 300 cfm hood due to the duct size.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 20:08

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Nadine--I think those slide out hoods are going to require a lot of the space in the cabinet above so you're going to lose that space anyway. So you might want to consider a more conventional undercabinet hood, too. Depending on your situation, you may be able to vent directly out the back of hood into your existing vent and not lose any of the cabinet space. It won't be quite as accessible though as you realize.

I'm assuming that your rectangular vent is 3.25 x 10" which is roughly equivalent to a six inch round duct. So you need to look at hoods with CFM's sized for that size of duct.

Unless you know exactly how your vent is situated, you need to remove the microwave. A lot of hoods will be adaptable to horizontal rectangular, vertical rectangular vent and vertical round exhaust. I know that my Zephyr hood had all three options.

Zephyr Typhoon

I disagree that you will get 'tremendous' noise. Not going to be whisper quiet but will most likely be substantially less noisy than most micro hoods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide out range hood

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Ci_Lantro - I meant that if the OP's ductwork is smaller than what is required by a hood she installs, then the noise could be tremendous. We don't know the size of her exhaust duct. My previous 1970's house had a 4" exhaust duct, as did all my neighbors' homes. That's just how homes were built in that time. If the OP has a 4" duct and installs a 450 cfm hood, the noise will be uncomfortably loud. We don't know her exhaust duct size, but it's fair to warn her.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

MrsNyefnyef--OP said her house was 2 1/2 years old and she was 'pretty sure' the vent was a rectangular one. That pretty much rules out the 4" scenario.

I removed a 1987 OTR microwave and the venting was rectangular 3.25 x 10 inch that transitioned to 6" round in the attic. (When the micro was removed, we discovered that the metal plate that was supposed to be removed to convert from a recirculating 'vent' to exterior venting had never been removed. The interior of the ducting, as you might imagine, was clean as a whistle.)

Anyway, based on the info the OP provided and past experience, I was more optimistic about her situ.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm