Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

Turning Desk Area into Bar..Thoughts

13 years ago

Our kitchen has a desk area in the kitchen that currently just collects clutter. We have a full sized office just off the kitchen, so the space is really redundant.

When we facelift our kitchen in the next few months, I am planning on turning this area into a bar area.

What I planned was to replace the cab doors with seeded glass or framed glass to house barware (all cabs will be painted white).

Then I was thinking we could remove center drawer to house a beverage cooler.

However, the height is 4" too short.

So, my thought was that while we have the counters off, I could basically build up the cabinet base height by adding on a basic 2X4 and then fronting it out with a piece of decorative trim. It will then all be painted by thepainters to match existing cabs and the new granite will go on.

Does this sound like a good idea? Do you think it will look too "homemade"?

I can't find any photos of what I am thinking about doing, hence the reason I am wondering if this is a terrifically bad idea.

Comments (5)

• 13 years ago

I think that's a great idea. What are you planning for the open space in the lower? A fridge, perhaps? Or, remove the center drawer all together and put in a cabinet with a door.

It can even be painted a contrasting color.

As for the height, maybe you can split the difference and add decorative feet, or toe kick.

• 13 years ago

Depends on the quality of your skills.

As long as you're tearing things apart, you can do what you want, including redesigning the whole understory of the wall unit. You don't want to say afterward, "Wish I'd just ___X____ as long as I was at it." And the lower cupboard doors don't match the tops anyway, so you have lots of leeway in making visual changes.

Evaluate your future life. If you're old, hey, you can do whatever seems appropriate. But if you're young, you may find that this am't of square footage is not well spent for ardent spirits alone; you might want to work on floor to ceiling storage, perhaps a true "beverage center" and party/guest service, with a countertop in one section and a pull-out board for cutting, bonus work surface, etc. Are you into coffee? Tea? Do you need glassware storage? Display? Is this space in the household walkpath so it's a good place for beverage service? Cookbooks? How far away is a water source? a dining area?

You will definitely find "beverage center" photos. Keep looking. Some are more dedicated to "bar" than others.

• 13 years ago

Paintergirl-Yes, that is what I meant above..I probably wasn't clear. We are going to remove the center drawer entirely and put the beverage cooler in that space. It just needs to be raised 4", which is how I came to think of the idea to just raise it up with a piece of decorative lumber, basically. Adding on a 2X4 to the top of it would give me the additional 4 inches. Then I would just add on a piece of decorative painted molding, so it would just look like a strip of molding underneath the counter overhang.

Florantha--There is a whole host of things I would love to do to my kichen, if only my budget would allow! lol We are trying to give the kitchen a desperately needed cosmetic upgrade (for our life and for resale purposes down the line) with a very tight budget.

I am planning on using the uppers as storage & display, and then just putting a 33" beverage center in the current open space. I will continue to display my cookbooks there. This space is across from the eat in area in our kitchen, close to the door of the dining room...far away from the sink. I like the idea of putting a coffee maker there too. We do entertain on a regular basis, so I was thinking this would be a great area to have drinks available and some nibbles.

Here is a photo where you can better see the overall layout better. All functional kitchen space is behind me.
    The desk area is barely visible on left, door to dining room is on left, door to family room straight ahead.

I've seen lots of beverage centers in kitchens, but nothing with the tricked out moulding like I'm planning to do. Which is what I was wondering if it would look bad.

• 13 years ago

Oh, I missed the the part about the beverage cooler. Sorry! (You know how it is, you're trying to do something and your kids have other plans for you...)

I still think it's a great concept and totally do-able.

You have a really nice space.

• 13 years ago

I think it sounds like a great idea. I have been challenged with my kitchen desk as well. I have an office and don't need the desk. Most recently I am trying it as a coffee center. (I have my whole living room set up as a Tiki lounge so don't need another bar...LOL.)

I had a rollcart made for the under part but the guy did such a shoddy job, I had to remove it and had the molding replaced. I still would like something in that space, but just waiting till it hits me.

If you have kids you would probably want to store the liquor in the upper cabinets and the glasses in the lower section. You could place a blender and mixing items on the counter. Be sure to have one shelf that handles tall bottles. Hope these inspiration pictures will be of some help.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}