Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydragea

dishwasher against wall?

Hydragea
9 years ago

Hi there,
My kitchen plan involved having a dishwasher in a peninsula, placed at the wall end. So the layout was:

wall -> 24" dw -> 30" sink -> 42"-worth of base cabs

The KD said that I should bring the dishwasher out from the wall, in case you want to walk around it. The KD put a 15" cab at the wall. So his layout was

wall -> 15" cab -> 24" dw -> 30" sink -> 27"-worth of base cabs

I would prefer to have 42"-worth of base cabs as opposed to the 27" because those base cabs are close to the fridge, and i figure it's best to have a nice long run near the fridge.

So my question is:
Is it bad to have a dishwasher abutting a wall?

Comments (26)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I assume (from my reading of your dimensions and configuration) that the peninsula is not one side of an "L" but stands alone? Could you switch it so the 42" of base cabinets are on the wall side, then sink, then dw? I don't necessarily think you need the extra 15" of countertop to the left of the fridge, but I do think having the dw against the wall will feel cramped, whereas drawers would feel less so. I know you said the base cabinet is near the fridge, but I'm not sure why its helpful to 42" of base cabinets near a fridge.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"The KD said that I should bring the dishwasher out from the wall, in case you want to walk around it."

Did you ask,"if it's against the wall, how/why do I need to walk around it?"

The filler and end panel is a correct and typical installation.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Is your KD talking about when the DW door is open? Will you want to stand on either side of the open DW door for unloading? WIll you have to reach over the open DW door to put things away in cabinets that are in wall cabinets on the wall?

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Below is the rough layout that I put together, with D/W against wall. (Diagram is not quite correct: Based on feedback from GW, I'll be using a 30" sink cab instead of a 36", with extra 6" inches going to other base cabs. (I've also made other changes based on feedback here, but they're irrelevant to this discussion.))

In this layout, I don't think there is a need to load from both sides-I didn't ask the KD because it seemed a bit rude to keep pressing him about it.

You can see that there is kind of a need for counter on the fridge side of the sink; whereas there is less of a need for counter on the d/w side.

So given this layout, is it better to have a cabinet on the wall so as to bring out the d/w a bit from the wall? Or just use 1 1/2" filler as GreenDesigns mentioned?

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

I have this situation in our current home, and I like the DW against the wall. I can stand at the sink, and the kids can open the DW and unload it from the front. I don't think a 15" cabinet at the wall (like your KD suggested) would work any better.

I do get spatters on that wall (from my little ones "helping") - but the paint is semi-gloss and cleans up beautifully.

The thing that is jumping out to me about your plan is actually your fridge location. My mother-in-law used to have her fridge just like that and she HATED it. To open the fridge, and stand back to see what she was looking for would take up too much room for anyone to just pass behind her. She would have to step aside, almost shut the door to let someone go by, and then find what she needed. It was a hassle during dinner prep, and anytime lots of people were over.

Is this a new build or a renovation?

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yellowduck - Thanks for your real-world experience.
    To answer your question, this is a reno.
    So, one option is to dig into the closet shown to the right of the stove run and put fridge there.

There might be a smidge more than 50" clearance between fridge and cabinets. (I think I took measurement from fridge door handle, which juts out a bit.) How much clearance do you need for someone to pass?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think the dishwasher against the wall (just filler) would be fine in your situation, since there are no other nearby cabinets (i.e. you're not storing your dishes and glassware nearby)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I don't like your traffic patterns there, right through the hot and sharp zones.

This gives you a protected work zone, with no traffic through it, and you get a pantry as well.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Question: Is there a reason why you're not doing a U shaped layout?

If the fridge and range swapped walls and your peninsula scooted all the way to the right, you wouldn't have traffic through the middle of your kitchen to get outside or the den.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My DW is on the open end of the peninsula and it would feel unnatural to load or unload it from anywhere but the sink side. Are you using your peninsula drawer for dish and glass storage? If so, you'll need that big drawer more than you need a 15" drawer tucked in a corner.

I would suggest adding a little more breathing room between the DW and wall by adding legs in the four corners to make it look like an island pushed against the wall. I did that to dress mine up a little on the open corners. It's just a 3 1/2" wide box, not an actual leg, 5" including the foot. I had them add a chunkier foot since this photo was taken.

• plllog
    9 years ago

LWO's plan has a lot to recommend it.

To answer your question, though, I've had a DW right up against the corner, the way you depict, which did have dish storage above. If you can't reach over the door, you put the dishes on the counter, and put them away when the door is shut. It's no big deal! I'd much rather have that than have my storage space cut up by the dishwasher. Especially as small as your storage already is. DW's are ideally suited to that position, with the door that's out of the way of your shoulders, and the open trays that come out fully.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm so glad I asked about the dishwasher :-)

I can't do benjesbride's plan because there is a door at the top left corner that cannot be moved.

I *can* do Live_Wire_Oak's plan though. The only reason I hadn't thought of it is due to lack of creativity. I could even put the sink where Benje's bride suggests.

The only issues with LWO's plan are:
    1. I'll need two corner cabs. I'm planning on using Ikea cabinetry. Do you know if their corner cabs are good? They seem to have nice lazy-susan turning bits on the inside...But I don't know much about corner cabs.

2. The entrance to kitchen is across the house, so bringing in groceries is a bit more of a task. Do you think it is worth it to bring the groceries across the house to get a better layout? I'm thinking, 'yes'.

Yes, mayflowers, I would be using a bank of cabs in the peninsula for dishes. I had planned, as you suggested, to do a 24" cab and then another 18" incher on fridge side of peninsula. But of course, this point might be moot if I do LWO's layout.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Sorry, that drawing is the best example I could find of a basic U shape. In your application, rotate the floor plan so the refrigerator is at the top, the door to the den would be to the left of the fridge.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Benjesbride - ah, now I see what you mean.
    Yes, the U-shape could be done as well.

I need to mock up these plans in 3D and stand in my house to get a better idea of what they'll look like.

Thank you so much for taking the time to draw these out for me!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like LWO's plan too. I remember when you posted during a really dead week and couldn't get any layout help. Timing is everything!

If you can put the sink on the side wall, do you even need a peninsula? You're eliminating seating, right? I don't see that you need it for prep. Will it hold a microwave or other appliance? Do you need it for storage? Otherwise I prefer an open entrance to the kitchen. Or use a short peninsula.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

re: dead week, Yes, a dead, back-to-school week, and I was left thinking, "I guess i really nailed this layout!", ha ha! ;-)

Yes, i'm removing the bar seating. Everyone will have the great misfortune of sitting in comfortable-height chairs at the table.

My original intention was to *not* use upper cabs, so the base cabs were important. In the original layout, no uppers would look prettier - it's nice to look at the back wall with no upper cabs, and I could hang mirrors. With the U-shaped layout, it's a new ball game, and I need to rethink everything.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Re the groceries, you'll adapt. Some may land on the table while you're hauling everything in. Some may land on the floor by the peninsula. I'm talking about one of those big shoppings where your car is full, including the back seat.

If you only have three or four bags, you may dump them on the peninsula, but it's really only a few steps more.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

You don't have to use the corners. may_flowers didn't in her u-shaped kitchen and I'm not either in my modified u-shaped kitchen. If you plan the lay-out just right, you may end up with more usable storage if you ignore the corners.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 15:39

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There's been detailed analysis that shows you gain storage by blocking the corner with drawers.

If you use LWO's layout, I'd think about changing the pantry to a cabinet. Some people have placed their fridges alongside sliding doors and found their light blocked, so a pantry would do the same to your window. You'd have a counter for grocery bags as you unload them into the cabinets and fridge. Even lowers can store food--I love my bread, cereal, and snack drawer. Note: It works best to side-load from a standard fridge because you have to reach around the door of a French door. It's a minor annoyance though. A counter also gives you a landing zone for stuff coming out of the fridge for meal prep.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Hydragea, I think the U definitely deserves careful consideration! My kitchen is a U, and it's very efficient.

Groceries - as plllog said, you'll most likely set baggs on the peninsula, then unload them, so it won't be any farther with the U. You only have to walk around the peninsula once.

With no seating on the peninsula, you can access one corner from the other side with drawers or a cabinet, depending on what you will store there. You could use drawers for table linens, dishes, or tings you use in the living room (board games?), or desk-type supplies, tool/junk drawer - loads of things.

If you need space for less-used large pots and pans, or small appliances, this could be the place.

In the other corner, you could use a super susan, or close off the corner and surround it by drawers, depending on how the rest of the kitchen storage turns out. In my U, I have both - a super susan for small appliances between sink and fridge runs, and drawers on both sides of the corner between sink and range. I use those drawers every day for utensils, plastic containers, towels, bags and wraps, and baking supplies (sugar, flour, etc). I debated long and hard - it went against my grain to "waste" that space in the corner. But I eventually realized that more efficient use of the space around the corner was far more important than difficult-to-access space for things I didn't use much - I had storage elsewhere in the kitchen for things I might have stashed in the corner.

Please provide us with a close-up sketch of the kitchen, with all the fixed dimensions, and let's see what we can do for you!

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is a mockup with the U-shape. I used the Ikea home planner. I think you just need to install the Chrome extension (takes about 3 seconds) and batta-bing, batta-boom, you are able to see the whole thing in 3D.

My impression is that it is a bit cramped where the stove is...

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/CA/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?Lang=en-CA&LoadDesign=92ab9207461a402aa5793d0c97be5362&UIContext=Kitchen&IsSharedDesign=1

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Can you share it in this thread? I really don't want to download Ikea Planner just to see your lay-out.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Floor Plan for ya

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Ikea has very affordable and cheap corner solutions. Look at them before you give them up,. The lazy susan one can hold a TON of stuff, mine is loaded. Super easy to get stuff in and out, and you cna also store flat things on the floor of the cabinet under the susan, and on the sides in the back. The half moons are not as efficient but MUCH better than the blind corners. It really depends on how tall the things are that you want to store. The blocked off corners with drawers would not work for me because of the need that I have for tall storage. and bulky items.

• Geneva Tungate
    3 years ago

Which layout did you finally go with? It's been 6 years since your post. I have almost the same issue except my dishwasher has two drawers instead of the swing door. How is it if you did put it next the wall? So many questions..

Geneva