Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to paint thermofoil cabs

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 10:35

Has anybody ever successfully painted thermofoil cabinets? If yes, any advice? I'm trying to paint a bathroom vanity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to paint thermofoil cabs

Some people have peeled off the thermofoil and then used a shellac based primer on the MDF under it. If what's there is holding on for dear life, then you can always try scuff sanding the surface, using a high grip oil based primer, and then two coats of an acrylic enamel with high hide and adhesion properties like the new Behr Premium Plus paint.

o
RE: How to paint thermofoil cabs

I have w/ the method above. I used BM's STIX primer and BM's Cabinet Coat. (These used to be made by Inselx, but BM bought them.)

I'm also considering Carmel Colors. They claim their product adheres to absolutely everything. I keep reading great things about them.

I've been reading a blog by someone named Patty Henning, who has really put her heart and soul into instructions and how-tos. Here's the link to her shop. She says there's no tax if you're online, discounts on shipping, plus she gets credit for any sale. Her code is PattyH. She's out of Michigan, and being from MI myself, I felt supportive. :) Her store is Fabulous Finishes.

Disclaimer: I've not yet tried this method, nor have I any affiliation with this person. I have, however, read everything she's written and plan to purchase some of their toner for antiquing some furniture. I'm even considering painting my fridge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here