Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Flooring for laundry room

crl_
9 years ago

A bit off topic, but the laundry room is next to the kitchen and will be remodeled at the same time.

I want the easiest to clean, most durable laundry floor that's fairly affordable. Looks are not important. The dog's crate is in that room and I drag it to get it in and out for cleaning purposes, so I don't want anything that is easy to rip or tear.

I'm loathe to get tile as I hate cleaning grout lines, but I'm a little concerned that vinyl or linoleum won't hold up. Is big tile with small, epoxy grout my best option? Or some of the better quality vinyl?

Other suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• emma
    9 years ago

I have linoleum and have had for years. Under ordinary use it is fine, especially the kind they make today, no need to wax. If I had to drag the crate I would buy the wheel tray to go under it and save on the dragging. check with the company that made the crate. Walmart carried them carried them for the ones they sold. If you can't find that I would put an old rug under it and drag the rug, no damage to the floor. If you want it to "not" look like linoleum but the wood colors. I put it in my entry way and people are shocked when I tell them it is linoleum.

I will never have tile in my home again, been there done that. I want easy maintenance products . I do not go with the trend.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I've read on the tile forum to use grout the color of dirt. Still wash your floor (of course) but no scrubbing grout lines to get back to the original color. Unfortunately, I read that after installing my laundry room tile. I did seal my grout. Also, there are new grout products that are less prone to staining. I can't speak knowledgly about them so hopefully someone else will.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I have a high quality vinyl that looks like slate both in the kitchen and by the front door. It is beautiful...2nd most compliments I get on the new kitchen besides the cabinets...and extremely durable. Our old kitchen also had vinyl and it had been down from 2000 until this past January...still looked brand new. But if you don't like vinyl then I say get the floor you like and put a rug or blanket under the dog crate to drag it in and out.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

• michelew90
    9 years ago

I just purchased high quality vinyl that looks EXACTLY like hard wood. I placed a sample in water overnight because I'm using it in my basement and it didn't seem to affect it. The two samples are on top, underneath is my real oak hardwood. Oh and it just clicks together and is a floated install (no glue)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I reused tile I had removed from my kitchen and changed the grout color to charcoal. I haven't lived with it long enough to know how the grout is effected but I know from past experience that tile seems to be, IMHO, the hands down best material in a wet environment.

It doesn't scratch, warp, get damaged by water, etc.

My parents put luxury vinyl planks in their place that look like wood flooring. They seem to be working great and, according to what I have read and seen, they aren't affected by water but they do still get scratch/scuff marks so they have installed pads on the bottom of all their chairs and furniture to prevent marks on the floor.