Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Hack job on my beautiful granite :(

Mom23Es
11 years ago

About 2 weeks ago they installed my granite. I knew it was bad when everything was installed except for the L piece. After several calls, we were told that everything was fine- it was just cut a bit too big so they needed to take it back to the shop to trim it. Over a week later the piece was installed- with extra seams and mismatched. We are not pleased. :-(

I've been too upset to even post about it. Tomorrow we meet with the builder and a representative from the granite fabricator. Our builder didn't think it looked very good, but he said he's seen worse.

Here's the seam we ended up with

Here's the templated seam we were supposed to have

Also, we have two seams behind the sink. I can tell that something happened to the piece where the faucet holes were drilled. The swirls on the granite move opposite of the rest of the counter.

I love the stone. It's beautiful. But as DH put it, they took filet mignon and made a meatball.

On a positive note, here's out island.

Comments (56)

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Oh, I know how you feel when something so beautiful is butchered by sub-standard labor. I am living through a similar problem with the installation of my floor tile.

If the work is not to your satisfaction, by all means, speak up. I would not accept a seam like that as professional work.

It's sometimes tough to stand your ground. Some companies will do their best to convince you that you're just being unreasonable. Don't let them win.

Remember: My money, my reno MY way! Good luck to you.

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

I feel for you right now. I know exactly EXACTLY how you feel. Your stone is stunning and these guys just botched it up not making sure they followed the templates. I would be outraged especially since you spent time making these marks on the stone so this would not happen. I would stir up a storm and not let it go.

I had danby marble installed recently and the seam was HORRIFIC. I voiced it from the get go and made them re-do it twice as there is nothing worse than spending all this time on your kitchen to have someone tell you it is not a big deal. I told them if they did not get it right the next time they had to replace both joining slabs. Just be on them about it. I made sure to tell them if there was any damage to the cabinets they were responsible too.

I had my floor guy here to re-stain some damaged areas of my floor. I told him to make sure he stains all around the island where they had previously had painters tape to protect the island. He told me, "no lady you are too picky, no one sees that. only you." I told him he could do it or leave the house as I was not arguing with him about whether anyone else sees it since I am the one who is in the kitchen most of the time, NOT everyone else, and I am the one who paid for it.

Long and short of it is, they better fix this for you because you spent all this time and money making sure every aspect was perfect and they messed it up and should take responsibility.

I am so sorry you have to take this stress on, but when its changed you will be so much happier and forget about all this stress you are under today:(

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I foresee a lot of denial, and crap you're going to have to deal with. I have some words for you to use once they've seen the pics and have absolutely no viable explanation left:

"Rather than continuing the flimsy lies given me over the phone, why don't you simply acknowledge my beautiful stone is screwed up and ruined? Whatever you can come up with now involving this slab will continue to be a hack job I will not accept. Quit wasting time because it's not going to get any better. If you have to order another slab, do it. Needless to say I will retain approval rights and final say."

Of course, you can make this your own, but can someone argue with 1) the lies over the phone, 2) the pictures you have, and 3) THEY screwed it up? It's not like this is any fault or responsibility of anyone's other than the fabricator. Pressuring you to accept ruined work is horse-hooey.

You local? I'll come over.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

'people telling you they have seen worse'

then they can have it. It isn't what you decided on and paid for.

Maybe someone else was ok with 'worse', you aren't. don't let them talk you into it! Don't accept any of their excuses.

It IS beautiful stone - and should reflect that.

It looks like they are butchers with no pride in their work.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That's bad. The mismatched pattern draws my attention to the point that I didn't even see anything else. They have got to see that that has to be replaced. I know they'll fight you over it, and I hate that you have to go through that too. After you took pains to do everything right, this is what you got. That sucks.

• mjsee
    11 years ago

Oh, lawd. I take back my kvetching about my "bad seam." That is ridiculous. Best of luck...and listen to CEFreeman!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I'm still wondering what happened- is it possible that they cut out the shape according to the template, but then installed it backwards? If so, could it be turned around? Wishful thinking, I realize.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Christine: I can't wait until someone joins GW that lives on your block so you can just tromp on down and give their various workers what for, lol. I wish you were close by me to give the HVAC guys what for right about now.

((Hugs to the OP))

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to fill in more details now that all three kids are napping. (it's always miracle when that happens!)

I'm so glad to have some support. I was starting to doubt myself that maybe I was expecting too much.

The stone fabricator is who our builder advised us to use. We didn't like their stone selection so we found our granite (aka super white quartzite) on our own through a distributor. We wanted to have an ogee edge on the island, but we were told that the stone was so hard and brittle that the edge would not be smooth in the end. So, we compromised and did everything they advised. We did not want to be liable for any bad outcomes. Our builder has made everything right so far in the process, so I fully expect that he will figure something out this time. I'm not looking forward to talking to the stone fabricators though. That's where it's going to get ugly. DH is very unhappy about missing more time from work to deal with them- he bills hourly. I'm so glad I took all the pics of the templating. I only did that because DH was working and I wanted him to see what everything looked like. I have several pics of each slab on my iPhone.

DH called the stone supplier yesterday, and they said they have one last slab from the same lot. I'm hoping we can just get this slab and fix this part of the counter. Does that seem reasonable to just ask them to start over with that section? I'm not really sure how else they can make it right.

And now for a question about seams. How many would you use and where would you put them? Apparently my counter height window is too difficult for the fabricators to figure out. The counter along the window wall is 12' and the small side to the cooktop is about 5'. I'm feeling bad because it was not made clear to me that there would be seams in the L piece. I knew there would be one seam on the right rear side of the sink because the slab wasn't wide enough to do the whole thing. For the L, the templates were all lined up next to one another. I thought it would be cut in one piece too. However, now that I'm looking closer at the pics, I see that they intended to have all these seams. It's ridiculous. One at the corner and two behind the sink!?!? Why can't the make the L all in one piece? It clearly all fit in one piece on the slab.

Regardless, even with those seams as they had shown, the seams should have caused a negligible change in pattern. They were right next to one another!!

Here's my cabinet drawings. It doesn't show the counter height window, but behind the sink the granite extends back further.

And here's the view of my kitchen thus far. The right side and corner wrapping to the cooktop space is what's in question.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CEFreeman- I wish we were local! Lol. We're in Ohio, and I'm pretty sure you're DC/Baltimore/NOVa. I might be timid and reserved most of the time, but make me mad and might go a bit crazy lady. Hoping I don't have to go all crazy tomorrow.

They screwed up. I know they did simply because this section wasnt installed at the same time as everything else. I know they had to go back and trim things- they told the builder that. Their measurements were off, and clearly that's not my problem. I'm hopeful that they will see how off this is, but I'm preparing to fight for what we were promised.

It does make me sad that they ruined such a beautiful piece of stone. It's such a shame.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

The island is absolutely gorgeous. So sorry about the rest of the job they did.

Put the extra slab on hold if you haven't done so already. Then I'd ask the stone yard for a recommendation on another fabricator. Interview a few other fabricators and ask how they would handle the seams. Let your builder know that you'll pay for the island stone and install but not the rest, and see what he says. I'd be hesitant to let the same fabricators touch the one last slab of your stone.

Good luck!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Just stand your ground! If you can handle 3 kids that still nap, you can handle this! We are behind you!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I am so sorry that your gorgeous (!!) granite has been installed/cut in a very disappointing manner. I have no personal experience to state whether it's right or wrong, but it breaks my heart to see such a beautiful stone and kitchen be disappointing to you. I really hope they accept responsibility and do whatever it takes to make it right for you. I agree the seam does not look right, but even if you decide keep it, the stone is so beautiful, it's beauty does sort of overshadow that seam. Good luck!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Bummer for sure. What was the excuse foe 2 seams behind the sink? Where in Ohio?

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I would have liked to see one seam right behind the faucet. It's fairly inconspicuous there, and it's so small, you don't have to match the veins so much. Then, a seam where they have it on the L, but matching like the template was. With a good seam, you wouldn't notice it. That way, they don't have to maneuver too heavy a piece of stone. I'm not a pro, but I think that would work.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Where in Ohio are you? I'm also in Ohio! You have every right for them to make you completely happy -- with a new piece, a new price, or better yet -- BOTH!!!! I'll come stand with you!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Mom23Es, the stone is beautiful, the kitchen looks gorgeous and with a bit of firmness and determination on your part, this can and will be fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck to you and keep us posted. The kitchen looks amazing.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

It must make the stone feel sick, too. It's a work of art.

When not if, they replace the stone, I'd make them leave the other stone in your garage. You never know when you might want to do a pantry or bathroom. Those pieces might just be perfect for a back yard BBQ or something.

After all. What are they going to do with it!?

Yea, I'm in MD. If I weren't working, I'd take a long road trip.

I like the idea of interviewing other fabricators as to how they'd handle this seam. Gives you a little more ammunition.

Hang tough, girlie.

• munchladyland
    11 years ago

What CGKM said - if you have three kids that are still napping and you've come that far, you'll figure this out! It looks beautiful so far. The stone is GORGEOUS. You'll work it out!

• mjsee
    11 years ago

I think they drilled the holes in the wrong place to start with...and flipped it around...

I am NOT a stone fabricator...but I sew. And I've ruined more than one piece of uni-directional fabric by laying the pattern piece the wrong way. It's why I always buy extra. JUST IN CASE. Easier to do with fabric than stone, obviously.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

mjsee,
    That's why they invented quilting, I think.
    I've also ruined more gorgeous, unidirectional fabric myself. But, I've always made it work elsewhere. In just not-as-big pieces, sadly. :)

I think you're right.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Your stone is beautiful! You're making me rethink my blue countertops...at least in one area :)

Stand your ground and make sure they fix this! Don't quit until you get exactly what you want...that stone is too pretty not to be displayed properly.

Would anyone put a lovely diamond into a cheap ring setting? I don't think so...

• mjsee
    11 years ago

CEFreeman--could you check in on my counter woes thead? I'll post a link...I'd love to have your opinion on my seam and the finish on the one side of one of the counters. (If you don't have time...I understand!)

They are coming back Monday AM to install the counter they didn't install on Tuesday (it was scratched and they took it back to repolish it) and I want them to fix that seam--and polish the bad edge. Unfortunately, I have a dr's appt that is too important to reschedule...and I have to leave DH in charge. (GC is out of town.)

SO...if I can leave DH with some a script...that would be good.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: mjsee's counter woes thread

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Your layout is almost the same as mine! I only have the seam that is in the middle of the sink. I LOVE it!!! Here are some photos. Hopefully you can get them to do something similar!

The corner - NO SEAM! Basically one big L shaped piece.

From Moon Night Granite Install

And where that piece ends:

And the two seams in the sink area - almost unnoticeable

• Cateskitchen
    11 years ago

This is just my opinion, but I believe that at some point during fabrication or installation they broke your slab. The real issue is not what happened but how it is going to be resolved. You need to stick to you guns and make them fix it, close enough is NOT good enough. The will have to order a new slab, but that is not really you problem. Just make sure you get to OK the new slab... Good Luck, I hope this all works out ok for you. Kitchen is gorgeous!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

that looks so bad it could be a broken slab, or there was a major defect in the slab.

One thing to remember is to look at BOTH sides for defects when picking slabs.

Sometimes there are clearly visible defects in the 'off' side that can cause problems (like cracking) once cutting starts.

• ella_socal
    11 years ago

I have a similar layout in my kitchen and I have ONE seam, behind the farmhouse sink. It's barely noticeable. My fabricators were really good.

(However, the original slabs in my kitchen were installed by our builder's sub and they had a corner seam, like yours. I think they just cut corners because it's easier to cut and/or easier to transport smaller pieces.)

Stand your ground. The mismatched pattern on that seam is unacceptable. I would push for NO seam in that area.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Such a beautiful stone, and such disappointing work. I can totally relate, My fabricators made some pretty huge mistakes in my kitchen as well. I'm still trying to get over it after we came to an agreement on financial compensation, and I don't usually hang on to that sort of thing for so long. But when you put your heart and soul into your kitchen decisions it's hard to let go! And it's not like a fridge - you can't always just get a new replacement for the one that has a scratch or dent. Once that unique slab of stone is cut, it's cut! There's no going back. Sigh.

Keep us posted on how this is all turning out. I hope you can still have the beautiful countertop of your dreams!

commiserating in the meantime,
    mmhmm

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

someone posted pics above that you should show your people - how to do a good fabrication and install.

If those guys don't see the bad job they did they need to get into another line of work. This stone business sounds to dangerous for blind people.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally a chance to update. Not much to update except that the two representatives from the fabricator were in agreement that it was bad. The one guy was the same guy I met with for templating, and he was visibly frustrated with how it turned out. He knew it was wrong. Lots of pics were taken, and the remaining slab is tagged for us. We are waiting to see what the resolution will be.

There was absolutely no budging on the seams. I don't understand, especially after what slush1422 posted above. That's so disappointing, but they kept telling me that they couldn't do it because the stone was too brittle/fragile. Not sure how to argue with that. If they say they can't do it without messing it up, then I really don't want to push them to try.

On another note, DH and I were just a couple minutes from our new house when we received a call from our vet. We had dropped off our 12 year old Siamese for an EKG. The vet just wanted to check things. We were not expecting to hear that things went poorly and that our precious kitty might not wake up from the minor sedation. In the end, kitty pulled through, but we dont know how much longer he has. He has really poor heart function. We'll be monitoring him closely overnight and then go day by day. The vet told us that she couldn't believe he was still alive with as bad as his heart is. Anyway, DH and I showed up to the house trying to act normal, but I guess we looked pretty bad. Poor builder thought we cared THAT much about the granite. DH called later to explain what had happened. Builder was sympathetic and clearly relieved that we weren't that upset about the granite. Granite screw up is bad, but losing my kitty is many times worse.

It's always something, isn't it?

• slush1422
    11 years ago

That is frustrating Mom23es! I have basically the exact same stone though mine was called Moon Night at the slab yard we found it at and other yards called it Super White. At least they will have it all taken care of for you and you don't have to "fight" for it.

Sorry about your kitty :(

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I'm sorry about your kitty too.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

OMG.
    Secondary to me (sorry) is that your granite thing went well. I am grateful for you.

However, having lost far too many babies, some traumatically, I am bleeding for you over your little one. Good parenting and lots of love causes him to decide to stay with you, I believe. I am absolutely certain I don't have to tell you to give him all the lap time, all the treats, and all the warm snuggles in the world. Tell him all the time how much you love him. I believe it might not go thru in words, but I know from extremely odd situations they KNOW. Know know, not just know.

OMG. I am so sorry. (Glad for the granite part, but I can't stand hearing someone is going to lose their short-lived baby.)

• schmaltzy
    11 years ago

So sorry about your precious boy!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I was hoping to open this thread and see some good resolution news. Instead, I see worse news. I'm so sorry about your sweet kitty. Twelve years isn't long enough. DH and I had three cats for most of our relationship. The last of our three died July 2011. We now have three young cats (young mom and two of her year-old kittens). I'm looking at the babies snuggled up across the room on the chair right now. I hurt knowing that someday I will again be in your shoes. Their lives are just too short. My heart goes out to you and your DH.

I hope your stone situation is resolved soon so you can give your full attention to kitty. Oh screw it. Give all your attention to kitty. Let your builder work out the counters. Praying for you and kitty.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

OMG.
    Secondary to me (sorry) is that your granite thing went well. I am grateful for you.

However, having lost far too many babies, some traumatically, I am bleeding for you over your little one. Good parenting and lots of love causes him to decide to stay with you, I believe. I am absolutely certain I don't have to tell you to give him all the lap time, all the treats, and all the warm snuggles in the world. Tell him all the time how much you love him. I believe it might not go thru in words, but I know from extremely odd situations they KNOW. Know know, not just know.

OMG. I am so sorry. (Glad for the granite part, but I can't stand hearing someone is going to lose their short-lived baby.)

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another update- they have the extra slab and are going to replace the whole L side. They want to try to match seams first, but they agreed that I have to approve it first. Pretty darn sure matching existing to new isnt going to happen, but I'll humor them. The seam placement isn't going to change. I'm really bummed about that, but I guess that's something I'll just have to accept. Living in the mid-West often means compromise. :-/

My kitty is doing okay. He honestly seems to be acting the same as usual, but now I worry about him all the time. He really is such a good cat. My 8 month old's first word was "kitty". The kitty watches over all the kids.

And finally, one more shot of the island. I think this is the best pic we have of it so far. ;-)

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

My heart started singing when I saw that beautiful smile. Makes this Mimi miss her grandbabies. What a beautiful little one.

I am happy to read the fabricator is working with you to resolve the situation.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

OMG, what a cutie pie! I am so glad this is moving towards a favorable resolution and I am even more thrilled Kitty is holding his/her own. They really own us, don't they? One of ours was very sick earlier this year and the vet said take him home since he won't eat and if he doesn't eat, well . . . I am happy to report he's been chowing down ever since. We still worry about our gentle giant but we can see he is happy and appears healthy. I hope you have the same good fortune. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen, it's going to be gorgeous!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

You have so much to be thankful for, your little guy and kitty doing better. Your counter will be fine, although it pales in comparison. :)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

So very sorry it's been so traumatic all around. Here's to hoping for a less crazy, "seamless" October! We have an L near our sink (much smaller kitchen), and were supposed to have the one seam behind the sink. We have that, plus one other where the two corners of the L meet. I wasn't crazy about a second seam, but the soapstone guy insisted it was the only way unless the contractor ripped down the temporary wall between the dining room and kitchen for the day, and then put it back up. He was right - there was no room in our small house to bring a giant piece in, unless the temporary wall came down. We were not willing to have that stall, and decided to go for the seam (nervously). In the end, with the soapstone I never notice the seams (phew!) Good luck and I hope you get what you want because that's what you deserve and that's what you were promised!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Here's thinking about you, girl! :)
    You've got cuties all around.
    Glad you're getting some progress on your stone, too.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I'm still working on your screen name, Mom23Es. I'm envisioning triplets (they're all still little enough to be taking naps) named Edward, Eustice, and Ernest, or maybe Edger, Elizabeth, and Emily. Non-triplets named Eliza, Ellen, and Egbert. Ethan, Eamon, and Elliot? Elaine, Ella, and Elijah (the little guy is definitely a boy)? I'm sure my obsession is rooted in our expecting a new grand-nephew this week (Aidan), a grand-niece in early Nov. (Keira), and a granddaughter in early Dec. (they'll never tell!).

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm so glad furry boy is doing better. And your little 2 legged boy is adorable! That's definitely how a kitchen should look.

Great news on the stone front, also.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

What a cutie! He loves the granite and will love your outcome. Hang in there!
    Your kitchen is beautiful!!!

• heidia
    11 years ago

I am so glad they are going to replace it!!!! :) it is such gorgeous stone, and your baby is too cute!!!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Ahhh what a perfect ending with smiling baby on board!!! He is precious, love his smile. I am glad about kitty, too. We have been married 26 years and are on our third Golden Retriever, it was awful losing the other two to old age. We had each one for about 12 years in succession. Now we have an older rescue Golden that will even be with us for a shorter time since we didn't get her as a pup. Also have a little guy of Heinz variety. I can't stand to think of losing them after going through it with the others. This is the sweetest pair of dogs together. I can relate so much to your feelings about your kitty. Hope you will have many more years together.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Mom23Es, I am so glad that they are going to fix their hack job and make it right for you. I am so glad you stood your ground and did not accept that poor seam that most likely came from something THEY did. I am so glad your kitty is going to be OK as I am an animal lover also and I am still crying over my little 6.4 lb special needs Maltese who died from seizure complications on 12-30-11. He was my heart and I still can't believe he is gone. I am so glad you have some more time with your kitty. Your son is so cute.

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

Glad they're going to fix it for you. I wonder if we had the same fabricator. They had to replace my island counter, my cooktop counter, and my master bath counter, all due to mis-measuring! What do you think their profit margin was?!?

Prayers for your sweet little kitty!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about health issues with your obviously beloved kitty. I'm glad to hear he seems to be doing well and at least seems to feel well. I also recently had a terrible scare with my dog who means so much to me. Similarly we heard some terrible news from the vet after a procedure and thought we'd be losing her very soon. We've done what we can and the odds seem to be in her favor that she'll live at least a little while longer, but I can absolutely sympathize with the utter stress and sadness that comes with the thought of losing a pet you love. I really hope your kitty pulls through and lives a long time to come as he seems to be living with a wonderful family.