Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

FYI - my makeup air solution

fouramblues
11 years ago

X-post from appliances...

The code for makeup air is not enforced where I live, but I wanted some sort of makeup air for peace of mind. We just couldn't/wouldn't pay for conditioned makeup air. So I lurked around here and some builder forums for any info I could find. This is what I came up with:

(A very quiet 500 CFM duct booster fan controlled by a switch under the cabinet next to the range)

(A motorized damper controlled by same switch)

The ducting is all in the ceiling. The intake is the proper distance from the hood exhaust, and the ducting terminates with an unobtrusive vent cover about 5' from the range. Sure, it doesn't turn on automatically when the hood goes on, but I use it only when the hood is on high.

So that's my $166 solution to the makeup air problem (not including the contractor's time to install the stuff). So far so good!

Comments (10)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Nice that you did MUA. How long is the duct run from the exterior to your vent 5' from the range? You put that run in new, right?

I wish there was a way to suck in MUA in the same existing vent ducting so we all didn't have to put in new, especially in long runs of old homes. Like an alternating in/out system-gag that would never work lol.

Congrats though. You did well. I'm still searching for a solution.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparkling, the duct to the exerior is 6', and it is all new duct work. The ceiling was dropped to 8' feet around the perimeter of the kitchen to make the coffer and to hide a host of sins (steel beams, duct work, etc.) Yes, we ADDED a soffit! ;) Here's a pic of how it's layed out, before the vent cover was installed (or the cab hardware, or the island top, for that matter):

Makeup air is such a vexing problem, but a necessity for me. Good luck finding a solution that works in your space!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thanks for the explanation and the picture. Nice idea you had there with ceiling center still open. Your kitchen is wonderful btw. Love those black and white photos too!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aw, thanks, Sparkling! We're happy with how the kitchen is shaping up. And the black and white photos are what I call my "meat art" -- actually charcoal and pastel drawings of various cuts of meat that my DD1 drew for me! :)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

That's pretty interesting!
    Thank you for the info.

Love your kitchen!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Can you post a supplier, manufacturer, or part numbers? Makes it easier for those of us playing along at home to pass the suggestion on to someone who understands what's going on :-). My GC is very patient, but my lack of technical knowledge is a barrier.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

williamsem, any type of booster fan would work, and any motorized damper (as long as it's the "normally closed" type), but I used the Suncourt DB208P 8" 500 CFM duct booster fan and the American Aldes MD 8 motorized damper.

Because the air is unconditioned I really didn't want to pump it into the house on a regular basis, but only when really necessary, which is when the hood is on high. Over on the appliances forum, weedmeister suggested that it probably wouldn't be hard to directly wire this rig to the hood so that MUA engages only when the hood is on high. That's what I wanted to do, and I knew it could be directly wired, but thought it was an all or nothing proposition. Too late for me, as I don't want to mess with it now that it's all wired, but maybe someone else can use this info.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Thanks! That direct wire option sounds great! I might explore that depending on how many other wacky things I ask for. I'm already likely aiming for plug molds and cork tiles, which might be new for my GC, as well as USB outlets.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

I don't have anything to add about makeup air, but williamsem you will Love the plugmolds !! My builder and electrician were surprised by them but by then I had gotten my builder trained to just do what I asked for, haha. He stll questioned me but almost always ended up agreeing. He even changed some of his building practices because of me. : ) The funniest thing though is when guests come to your house for the first time (ours are at the beach, so lots of guests) ... Angela don't you have any outlets ?? Then when I show them they are amazed and think it's so cool and I get "why do you have so many outlets?!?"

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CEF, you like my white kitchen with an island?! That is high praise, indeed. ;)