Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momo7_gw

mm between faucet and windowsill, okay?

momo7
11 years ago

I guess the subject says it all. My builder seems cool with this, is there any reason this wouldn't be okay?

This isn't actually the window over the sink but another window in the kitchen. The sill (if it is called a sill, window parts confuse me) could be made a bit smaller but in this case I really think bigger is better. I don't want to bump out the sink. I think 1 or 2 mm is okay, but what do I know.

Comments (11)

• hags00
    11 years ago

What is most important is where your handle(s) will be in relationship to the sill/wall. Do you have clearance all around to turn your water off and on without bumping your knuckles?

I would not personally like 1 mm between my faucet and my window sill. I frequently wipe off my faucet with my last swipe of the cloth when cleaning up the kitchen and I would not be able to do that.

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh, the voices of reason. You know when you really want to do something but you suspect you probably shouldn't? That's how I felt posting this.
    The builder said the handle won't be in the way, it's reversible anyways. Wiping the faucet might be a bit tricky. Changing it out might also be difficult. It was so expensive, to me, I'll feel sick if I have to change it out in the forseeable future. If/when I change the faucet, I could fix it then, couldn't I? That is if I picked a thicker faucet.
    Mmm, I don't know. Although that does seem awfully tight, I'm not convinced it really matters. I don't think it would be any different to change it now or change it later if I don't like it. I might wait and see.
    Thank you both for giving me another view of this.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I would think there is at least 1-2 mm of "play" in a faucet body and might rub/bump into the sill (or whatever it's called). I know every kitchen faucet I've had has a little bit of give to it but then again I've not had high end fixtures so maybe not?

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I would think there is at least 1-2 mm of "play" in a faucet body and might rub/bump into the sill (or whatever it's called). I know every kitchen faucet I've had has a little bit of give to it but then again I've not had high end fixtures so maybe not?

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Ours has just a couple mm of clearance behind it, but only at the edge of the sill. under the sill and over the sill there is plenty of clearance. Faucet controls work just fine again with plenty of clearance.

Looking at your picture has me thinking--what is the measurement from the wall to the edge of the sill? What sink are you going with?

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thirdkitchen - I don't think I'm easily annoyed but I hate a wobbly faucet. In my limited experience, there's always been something you can do to stop it from wobbling - so far.

mydreamhome - yay, somebody has it. I haven't measured it but the builder asked if 1-1/2" was okay, so I assumed that's what it was. I'll check today. I'm getting the notoriously deep (from front to back) sink, Kohler Whitehaven.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Ok, just dealing with the counter--

Base cabinet depth = 24"

Sink depth = 21.56" with 2.25" extending past the cabinet edge

24" space - 19.35" sink depth (minus front apron) = 4.65" to work with for faucet & sill.

If sill is 1.5" that leaves 3.15" for the faucet on the upper end by the sill--plenty of space for many different faucets to work even the high arc/pulldown ones.

I have a rather chunky faucet (Delta Addison). I also have a very deep (front to back sink), Oliveri 885U. So I templated your sink over mine and provided that the sill extends 1.5" from the wall, and using a given of 1" diameter for the neck of the faucet that would be at the sill height, you should have plenty of clearance. If your sill is lower than mine, I think you will still be fine. My sill extends out 3" from the wall, so with that in mind, I'm betting with a 1.5" sill you will have no problem getting a nice faucet to fit without rubbing the sill--even a chunky one like mine.

Hope this helps!

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mydreamhome! Wow, thank you very much for mocking this up for me. I feel so much better now. Btw, the Delta Addison is a very pretty faucet. I'm getting the Moen Woodmere, it's a bit wider at the bottom but I believe that will be below the sill so I'll be fine - yay! Thank you again, that was very thoughtful of you.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

We took the wood bottom trim off our window and had a piece of leftover marble cut to fit flush with the front of the backsplash tile so there was no overhang. Would something like that work?

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lascatx - I love how that looks, with pretty marble or some other pretty stone. I am getting basic black granite so I didn't think I would really love that. But maybe I'll see if I can find a picture, possibly it could look better than I think. Thanks for the idea.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH