Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mm between faucet and windowsill, okay?

Posted by momo7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 10:11

I guess the subject says it all. My builder seems cool with this, is there any reason this wouldn't be okay?

photo.JPG

This isn't actually the window over the sink but another window in the kitchen. The sill (if it is called a sill, window parts confuse me) could be made a bit smaller but in this case I really think bigger is better. I don't want to bump out the sink. I think 1 or 2 mm is okay, but what do I know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mm between faucet and windowsill, okay?

What is most important is where your handle(s) will be in relationship to the sill/wall. Do you have clearance all around to turn your water off and on without bumping your knuckles?

I would not personally like 1 mm between my faucet and my window sill. I frequently wipe off my faucet with my last swipe of the cloth when cleaning up the kitchen and I would not be able to do that.

o

I think it is properly called a "stool," but I think most non-window-experts call it a sill.

It does seem awfully tight to me. What about, for example, when you have to replace the faucet, and the new one has a thicker body?

o

Ahh, the voices of reason. You know when you really want to do something but you suspect you probably shouldn't? That's how I felt posting this.
The builder said the handle won't be in the way, it's reversible anyways. Wiping the faucet might be a bit tricky. Changing it out might also be difficult. It was so expensive, to me, I'll feel sick if I have to change it out in the forseeable future. If/when I change the faucet, I could fix it then, couldn't I? That is if I picked a thicker faucet.
Mmm, I don't know. Although that does seem awfully tight, I'm not convinced it really matters. I don't think it would be any different to change it now or change it later if I don't like it. I might wait and see.
Thank you both for giving me another view of this.

o

I would think there is at least 1-2 mm of "play" in a faucet body and might rub/bump into the sill (or whatever it's called). I know every kitchen faucet I've had has a little bit of give to it but then again I've not had high end fixtures so maybe not?

o

I would think there is at least 1-2 mm of "play" in a faucet body and might rub/bump into the sill (or whatever it's called). I know every kitchen faucet I've had has a little bit of give to it but then again I've not had high end fixtures so maybe not?

o

Ours has just a couple mm of clearance behind it, but only at the edge of the sill. under the sill and over the sill there is plenty of clearance. Faucet controls work just fine again with plenty of clearance.

Looking at your picture has me thinking--what is the measurement from the wall to the edge of the sill? What sink are you going with?

o

thirdkitchen - I don't think I'm easily annoyed but I hate a wobbly faucet. In my limited experience, there's always been something you can do to stop it from wobbling - so far.

mydreamhome - yay, somebody has it. I haven't measured it but the builder asked if 1-1/2" was okay, so I assumed that's what it was. I'll check today. I'm getting the notoriously deep (from front to back) sink, Kohler Whitehaven.

o

Ok, just dealing with the counter--

Base cabinet depth = 24"

Sink depth = 21.56" with 2.25" extending past the cabinet edge

24" space - 19.35" sink depth (minus front apron) = 4.65" to work with for faucet & sill.

If sill is 1.5" that leaves 3.15" for the faucet on the upper end by the sill--plenty of space for many different faucets to work even the high arc/pulldown ones.

I have a rather chunky faucet (Delta Addison). I also have a very deep (front to back sink), Oliveri 885U. So I templated your sink over mine and provided that the sill extends 1.5" from the wall, and using a given of 1" diameter for the neck of the faucet that would be at the sill height, you should have plenty of clearance. If your sill is lower than mine, I think you will still be fine. My sill extends out 3" from the wall, so with that in mind, I'm betting with a 1.5" sill you will have no problem getting a nice faucet to fit without rubbing the sill--even a chunky one like mine.

Hope this helps!

o

mydreamhome! Wow, thank you very much for mocking this up for me. I feel so much better now. Btw, the Delta Addison is a very pretty faucet. I'm getting the Moen Woodmere, it's a bit wider at the bottom but I believe that will be below the sill so I'll be fine - yay! Thank you again, that was very thoughtful of you.

o

We took the wood bottom trim off our window and had a piece of leftover marble cut to fit flush with the front of the backsplash tile so there was no overhang. Would something like that work?

o

Lascatx - I love how that looks, with pretty marble or some other pretty stone. I am getting basic black granite so I didn't think I would really love that. But maybe I'll see if I can find a picture, possibly it could look better than I think. Thanks for the idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here