Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanc26

black canyon silestone

Nanc26
11 years ago

I just got my quartz countertops put in last week and I love them but my black canyon looks different then pictures I've seen posted on-line and even the sample at the store. I thought that an engineered product would be consistent and there would be little variation. At least that is what we were told regarding the difference b/w quartz and granite. For others that have black canyon quartz, what do you think?

Comments (15)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I had that happen with Caesarstone. I'm really wondering about their quality control because my monochromatic beige pattern had white splotches all over it. I was told that lots can differ so if you need more than one slab, make sure it's from the same lot. But we should get what we expect based on samples and company photos.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I think they call the splotches "pooling" and the information I have says that it's normal and expected. I know that the online photos on the Silestone website are way different than the real-life slabs so if you can see them in person it will help tremendously.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I know the manufacturers consider it normal, but customers don't like it. Since quartz has been around since the 90s, shouldn't it be a flawless manufacturing process by now?

• beeps
    11 years ago

Nanc26 - what is it that looks different to you? In looking at pics online I'm not seeing the difference. Glad you love it - that seems like that's the main thing. :)

• Nanc26
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beeps - Throughout all of the countertops in the my kitchen there are huge blobs that are larger than a quarter in diameter. I understand now this is called pooling. There are many of these blobs and in the large sample at the store there were no large blobs, so I was shocked after the install. Is this pooling done intentionally or did I just get unlucky?

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Check the warranty. Most quartz companies give the size of allowable "pools", but yours does have quartz pieces inside the pools, so that might not be considered a defect. It just irks me that you spend so much for a counter and then they manufacture something they know isn't what the customer expects and send it out anyway.

When our Caesarstone came in, the fabricator had the right to accept or reject it while it was on the truck. It should have been rejected. Fortunately, there was a problem with fabrication and the fabricator is replacing it, but we changed quartz companies to one that had a yard nearby so we could check the slabs.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I see Nanc. I guess because of the quartz/mica in the larger (pooled?) areas I didn't realize that was different from the other pics I was seeing online. If the quartz/mica wasn't in those areas I would be unhappy if I were you, but with it in there it just looks like part of the quartz. I hope you are happy with it, that's really the main thing. I agree, however, I too would have thought there would be more consistency in quartz as an engineered product than granite.

• Nanc26
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like it, it has taken a few days of living with it tho. I was not used to the movement of it after having a matte laminate countertop for many years. It's kind of growing on me !!

• pektel
    11 years ago

It really all depends on the company. Most quartz surface companies are not located in the USA, which to me directly correlates to a lesser level of quality control/care.

In my experience, Cambria has been the most consistent. It is also the only quartz manufacturer in the US. Cambria buys the purest, clearest, white quartz available. This helps ensure consistent coloring/pattern from one slab to another.

There are other advantages to using Cambria, but this I feel most directly addresses your potential concern with the actual top not quite matching the sample.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It's not the quartz that's the problem. It's the resin. And Cambria has had a problem with resin pooling.

• Nanc26
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my first time with a quartz countertop so I really didn't know what to expect. I guess I thought it would look something like the sample. I may have the silestone rep come out to my house and look at it and see what they say. It they tell me this is the way it should look then I will be content.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Do you live near a Cosentino showroom/warehouse? If so, you could go look at full slabs and compare them to your countertops to see if yours are not normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cosentino Centers

• Nanc26
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Corgimum,
    The closest showroom is in Chicago and I live in Milwaukee. I am getting more used to my counter. It is unique, not like your standard engineered quartz product. My husband likes it the way it is and says it looks more natural. Here is a pic of my breakfast bar.

• hellonasty
    11 years ago

I'm a fan of a more solid color countertop... but honestly, I like your counter. I like the big chunky colors better than I would a swirly granite, Or the less busier Silestones. I really like it!

• Nanc26
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks hellonasty, I appreciate your comments. I bought Windex multisurface with vinegar today and shined them up !!