Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone who has a stainless steel top stove

Posted by arbry (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 10:06

This may be a stupid question but for those who have a stainless steel top I was wondering how you clean it? If something boils over and burns what do you use to remove the stain? I will soon be in the market for a new stove and want to be prepared. I know you can't use an abrasive on stainless, does oven cleaner work or do you have another secret? - do tell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone who has a stainless steel top stove

Hi arbry,

I have three methods that I use:

(1) Dishsoap and water for general, everyday wipedowns
(2) Baking soda and water for medium cleaning
(3) Barkeepers Friend for heavy duty cleaning

I chose the stainless top so that all of the appliances would "match." The grates tend to scratch the top of the stove every time they are moved and put back - whether it be a large pot that shifts or for cleaning.

o

You can also try Dawn Power Dissolver (spray gel). I had to order it directly from the P&G online store because I couldn't find it locally any more. It works well on baked-on grease (terrific on Pyrex baking dishes--spray, let sit, clean-up is much easier!), sugary stuff, etc.

o

I use a sponge with dish soap (soft side only) to pick up any big stuff, then wipe down with those stainless steel wipes maybe once a week. Then wipe down with a soft cloth and it looks brand new after!

o

I use Weimann's SS cleaner. If it's something burnt on I'll let it sit and soak a while. It usually comes right up. For easy spills, I use a damp microfiber cloth.

o

I just use methods 1 and 3 from april_love's list. I use method 1 for more than 95% of the cleaning. Method 3 takes care of the rare harder-to-remove crusty stuff. I have open burners, so spillovers never get burnt or baked on. Some splatter does get crusty and stuck on if I leave it for a couple of days. But simply wetting it will usually loosen it up. Personally, I think stainless steel is one of the easiest surfaces to clean. It's only downfall is scratching. Cleaning with the grain helps.

o

Scrub with the grain with a green scrubby with soap and water and then wipe with a hot rag. Go with the grain unless you don't care about scratches.

o

I have had the best luck with Bayes stainless cleaner. Easy to use and it does not water spot nor does it show fingerprints.

o

I soak and wipe with handy wipes for light to medium spills.
Hard to clean spills easily come up with oven cleaner.

Look closely at models in the showroom. I noticed some were covered in scratches by mere design of the stove grates. Mine did not, and helped make my decision. Now, after 3 years, no scratches yet from grates, but I do lift and not slide those heavy grates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here