Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Please share your cabinets to ceiling? With crown?

fivefootzero
13 years ago

We're in the planning stages and my husband said he didn't want to do cabinets to the ceiling (even with crown) saying it would look like a cave.

Can anyone show me some pics of a smaller kitchen (ours is roughly 10 x 10 but bright) with cabinets to the ceiling? I know this is what I want, but DH needs to see things, he can't visualize.

Thanks so much!

Comments (20)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I can't show you but I'd tell him that it would be fine to do it without going to ceiling as long as he gets up there every other day to clean and dust them. ;)

• archnista
    13 years ago

Here are a few....hope this helps!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Here are mine:

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This is gonna seem awful amid all the splendor, but here is my old 8 x 10 corridor kitchen, during pre-demolition days. Just look at the cabinets. The height was a godsend--gave us a place to put off-season stuff, rarely used items, etc. As long as the doors aren't unusually narrow, there's no problem with a tunnel effect. I needed a stool to access upper shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: 8 foot ceiling with tall cabs in old kitchen

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much...keep em'coming!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Here's mine, the kitchen is about 13'6 inch x 13'6 inch. If you have a bright space, it won't be cave like, hope your DH agrees! You could also consider some glass fronts to lighten things up.
    {{!gwi}}

• marcy96
    13 years ago

Here's mine

{{!gwi}}

• theresse
    13 years ago

I have to say, I disagree w/ the whole cave thing. I can see why he'd think that, but - dark space or no - I think the eye is brought up when they go to the ceiling and that illusion of added hight makes the room feel bigger. But yes, having a bright space would help a lot, too (lucky you - mine faces North - bah)!

Every time I see cabinet that don't to all the way up (well maybe not every time but most) I feel like it's incomplete - like something's missing. But that's just me!

My cabs are old (1913 originals) and are in dire need of a fresh paint job but here they are, in my 11x12' kitchen or thereabouts.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi fivefoot...

Here's mine and I have VERY DARK cabinets. Kitchen is roughly 8 ft x 11 ft. And this picture is at night! No cave here!

KA:)

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

Hi, there. We have a tiny NYC galley kitchen: 7'2.5" wide x 8'3". I was also worried about the cave effect, but I was so wrong! Our ceilings are only 8.5" tall, and with the cabinets and crown, your eyes really go up, and the room looks much taller. I LOVE it! Here's a photo (and you can see more at www.pinkroots.blogspot.com):

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here is a section of my kitchen. Wow this was last year
    when I had that Chestnut brown color. Now it is a soft
    muted tinted green color with a gray cast. I would take
    photos but I have teenagers eating Pizza and making a
    horrific mess.

Boxerpups kitchen

And here are some other images of other kitchens. All with
    molding up to the ceiling. And not giant tall rooms.

Trade 10

Galley Harbersham Homes

Soapstone Maple Ridge Group

Diamond Bullnose

And Wait, here are some kitchens with space above the
    cabinetry. But I bet there is dust, grime and dirt there. Of course there could be a sweet DH who cleans it.

Country 1

Hood Copper The Metal Peddler

Cherry Cabinets

Whites Plumbing

• doraville
    13 years ago

My kitchen certainly qualifies as small. Here's a couple of pictures, but there are more at the album. I use to have soffits, but removed and went with 36" cabs with trim and molding. I was surprise to find that the tall cabs made the kitchen seem bigger.

From Kitchen

From Kitchen

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I don't have photos, yet, as we are still working on the kitchen, but we have cabinets to the ceiling with crown, and the first thing I noticed was how large the kitchen seemed. As others have said, your eye is drawn upward.

It will NOT be cave-like, I promise. ;^)

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I think it looks more cave like to have the dark shadow above the cabinet than to have the cabinet go all the way up. Maybe I will file old taxes or something up there, but at least it won't be dark and grimy.

• sherriz
    13 years ago

These pics are great but has anyone put crown above the cabinets to a VAULTED ceiling that is peaked in the center?

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow...thank you all so much. I will use this thread as ammo! You all have such beautiful kitchens...I can't wait to be able to post some pics of mine that don't want me to change my name to anonymous.

Thanks again!

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Another with crown to the ceiling, top of cabinets.

• eustacem
    13 years ago

If these are caves how soon can I move in?!!

• marcy96
    13 years ago

Such pretty kitchens, everyone!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

I wish I could remember the post with a similar question a few months back. Someone made the point that cabinets that don't go to the ceiling in a small kitchen may even increase the cave effect, and gave renderings to illustrate as well as reasons why that is true. It made sense seeing it.

I think also if you can find a way not to fill every inch of wall with upper cabinets but maximize the space in a few as well as lower cabinet space, that will help too.

Not at all knocking anyone's kitchen with uppers not to the ceiling. People have reasons for choosing that, and I hope some may chime in who have them and love them.

However, I did have 36" cabinets with 8' ceilings and am so glad to be rid of them now. Why? Dust and dirt for one; also, one cat liked to jump up there and put scratch marks all over the uppers; I tended to put things like trays up there and it looked so cluttered; having no space means nothing above, a clean, uncluttered look, which can help in a smaller kitchen. (Decorative things can look nice but I never saw anything that I thought would work for my tastes to put up there.)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting