Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

Would love some photoshop help...

michelle16
11 years ago

Here is a picture of my range wall, I only have 1 other small area where there will be tile, so since it's not alot of tile, I want it to standout. Would love something from artistic Tile.Love their waterjet stuff. I am going to post 2 tile pictures, if anyone knows how to photshop them in, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

Comments (43)

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One option

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another option

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

closeup picture to get idea of counter colors

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I can't photoshop, but I think the first one is stunning with your kitchen. The second one looks too modern with the pattern. But that might be an effect of looking at one tile vs a wall of them.

Hopefully someone that knows what they're talking about can comment. I fully admit design is not my strong suit!

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I can't photoshop either but what is that first tile and where did you find that fair lady? It's beautiful and I think it would be stunning in your kitchen.

• KitNovice
    11 years ago

Here are two quickie photoshopped pics.

• KitNovice
    11 years ago

And this...

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Voting for the "ribbons".

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

hi michelle! � yes, I have to agree. the ribbons are gorgeous!

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Oh my, that first tile is some kind of awesome. I know you weren't asking for opinions but it gets my vote too!

Sorry I'm no good with photoshop.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Ribbons!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

That ribbony one is one of my all time favorite tiles ever. We were in the Artistic Tile show room in Manhattan several months ago and they have an installation up with it. I took a million pictures because I thought it was the most gorgeous tile I'd ever seen. I wish, wish, wish we could afford to have it in our kitchen!
    I say go for it, it is beyond stunning!

• sbp59
    11 years ago

Hands down...ribbons!

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Michelle, your kitchen is just so pretty!

The ribbons tile has such beautiful flowing lines, and in my opinion, really complements your kitchen. All of your choices have been excellent, and I'm sure whatever you choose will be perfect.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Wow that ribbons is fabulous and looks super luxe in your spot!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Ribbons! I just looked at the same tile on Beekeepers thread and loved it there also!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, the ribbons has always been my favorite as well. I am attatching a picture of a hood that i copied,(was my inspiration photo) should I do my tile at the halfway mark all the way across like in the picture? It would look amazing all the way up, but because it runs into the other wall, I would have no way to stop it.Also i don't have alot of painted wall, so would like to keep some. thoughts??

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitnovice-thank you for taking the time to do that for me, it really helped!!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Love Artistic Tile - of course, I'm partial - it's behind my range ;-) The "ribbons" tile would look stunning in your kitchen! I like it like it is photoshopped above. Wondering if you could also carry it to the sides and stop it at the bottom of the corbels on your hood or another key spot? Might be worth a look on photoshop?

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I am not sure of the scale of this pattern, so here's a guess.
    One option--could you have your cabinet maker bring down the corbels under the hood to define the backsplash? I would want them nearly flat on the wall, not protruding into the room.

If the scale is significantly different from this, and if it makes a difference, let me know and maybe I can redo it for you.
    Sandra

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sandra, I was thinking of tiling that entire wall halfway down like in the inspiration picture, does that work?

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Another vote for the 1st one (ribbons). It is stunning! I think stopping part way up the wall as in the picture you posted would work well.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Of course taking it part way up the wall on both sides would work. It is all a matter of personal taste. Just good to think about the possibilities.

Sort of like this is what you have in mind?

Do keep in mind that this is a rough Photoshop pic. The real thing will look very different.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I love both tiles! I think you should also consider running it all the way up the range wall. Though I do like the photoshop that Bellsmom posted. Very beautiful.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Bellsmom-so nice to have a visual. i would love it up the whole wall, but then I run into a problem because it connects to the other wall. Also, I know this tile is very expensive, so i think my best option is to do it half way up. i think it's dramatic and pretty enough where you would still appreciate it. however all the way up would be stunning, could you photoshop it that way as well? sorry to be a pain, wish i could it! Thanks again for your time! i appreciate it, Michelle

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

A little bit higher....

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And all the way up.

Michelle16-your kitchen is so very beautiful! Will look forward to seeing what you end up going with. Best, oldbat2be

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks oldbat, looking forward to seeing all your tile go up. what do you all think about it all the way up??

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle,

Normally I would say, "tile the whole wall -- all the way to the ceiling."
    But in the photoshop pictures above in this post
    I am preferring the image with the ribbons tile just over the stove.
    (Bellsmom on Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 10:02)

Does that tile line make a plain, coordinating field tile
    that you could you use on the rest of the wall,
    going all the way up to the ceiling?
    I think that your sconces mounted through tile could look great.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Francoise! I agree, I seem to be drawn suprisingly to the image she posted as well.That would be my cheapest option to do it like that with nothing next to it. However, those corbels can not be made long like she pictured. So would it still look okay like that even with the corbels I have since they are short? And do you think you would prefer a different feild tile next to it, instead of just painted like the picture? thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, Michelle

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle16,
    I do like the ribbons backsplash just in the area between the range and hood
    as Bellsmom photoshopped it in that picture.
    But I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out
    that she had photoshopped your corbels to extent them to the counter top.

You could "box in" the area of wall behind the range
    with a coordinating liner tile as a frame
    (just a few inches all around the "box" of ribbon tile should work.
    I think it would be best if this liner frame picked
    up the darker gray of the "ribbon" to set the area off.
    New Ravenna Mosaics have so many beautiful liner tiles,
    especially in that "Silk Road" line.

But I'm at a loss as to what to suggest for the rest of the wall:
    plain field tile part way up?
    A short 4" high backsplash in field tile?
    Just paint?
    It seems like the trick will be do do some treatment
    that doesn't over emphasize the slight asymmetry of the range wall,
    and still highlights your sconces as a very cool part of your design.

Hmm.... I hope that others will chime in with suggestions (and pictures!)
    for making the tile work if it is applied just in the area behind the stove.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle16,

My favorite so far is bellsmom's, with the longer corbels. Some thoughts - it's super easy to color match your cabinetry paint color. Maybe the corbels only come in one size but there's no reason why you couldn't craft something and then paint it to match. Just fill in any cracks/voids carefully of course and sand.

Or... do something like what annsch did, with some sort of plaster and wood base.

I thought of annsch, because I was trying to think of tile to 'mix' in above your focus area, if you went the tile route. Wonder how a nice white herringbone subway would look?

Best,

oldbat2be

Here is a link that might be useful: annschs' backsplash

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hmmm meant to include this picture in my last post.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I actual prefer the option of the tile just behind the cooktop most!

Although the tile IS stunning - you can't go wrong with more.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Such pretty options! If you want longer corbels, just ask your carpenter to make them and then use the same paint. We had several items in our kitchen "made" to look "seamless" with our Schuler cabinetry, then used the special cabinet paint...looks great and fools many :-)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Of the options posted so far, I prefer the first version I posted. I didn't want to express an opinion at first, but just let you look at options. Now, here are some personal opinions and then another option using your chosen tile.

1. The problem with extending the tile beyond the corbels, IMO, is that there is no continuity on either side. IF you had a continuous backsplash that ran under counters to the range, then up to the hood, then back down under counters, that would look fine. But just randomly extending the tile beyond the hood looks strange to me.
    2. I agree with other commenters that it should be fairly easy to get the existing corbels extended downward if you chose. That would serve as a frame for whatever you do under the hood.
    3. I am very bothered by not knowing the scale of the tile pattern you chose. It looks too large-scale in all the mockups I have seen to work in that small, confined area.
    4. It would be possible to further define whatever accent tile you use as a backsplash with a tile, perhaps one slightly darker but similar in color to your wall paint. Something like this:

Of course, a tile frame could match the ground color of the pattern tile, or the accent color in it, or whatever pleases your eye.
    5. I think of the area beneath the hood as a picture. I would want to somehow frame the picture to define it and set it off from the area around it. I would want the scale of what was in the picture to suit the picture's overall size.

Hope this is of use to you.
    Sandra

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to all of you for your help on this! I do agree, it looks nice defined in the range space since it's not going on the other walls, thanks again!

• angela12345
    11 years ago

I prefer bellsmom's first version with the tile only behind the cooktop rather than her last one. I love the look of the extended corbels if you can get those made. I am also bothered by not knowing the scale. Is it way too big for the space ? Is the pattern size too small for the space ? Or is it just right ? See what I mean by the difference in the pattern size on Sep 25 at 14:50 vs Sep 26 at 7:50.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see what u mean by the scale of bellsmom's and then how it is larger in oldbat's. I will go to artistic tile and get a sample board. Thanks angela!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

When you have made a decision and your BS is up, please post a picture and details for us. It is always rewarding to see how projects are finished.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I think once you have the actual sample board in your kitchen you will be able to tell if you will be able to see enough of the pattern to get the right "look".

Did you see this photo?

I'm still concerned about the materials of that tile behind the range. Does anyone know if that snow white marble and that fresh water mother of pearl should be used behind the range? I worry about grease marking it up. I know your kitchen isn't a "show-only" space but a place you really use. I think the tile is gorgeous and I would love to see it used (I know a lot of people have dreamed of that tile being used in their kitchens) but I would hate for it to get ruined.

Maybe ask about that when you are at the store. Perhaps they have a bullet proof sealer for it. Crossing my fingers for you...

• francoise47
    11 years ago

To respond to Beekeeper's sensible question about marble,
    and sorry to repeat myself since I've posted on this before:

I have several friends whose white marble backsplashes
    behind their gas "pro-style" ranges are now
    brown streaked marble backsplashes
    because of the heat and steam venting onto the backsplash.
    Truth be told, my friends with this problem
    are super foodies who cook a lot!
    So maybe they have abused their marble backsplash
    more than more "normal" families.

If you use that lovely tile, be sure to get the best advice possible from the tile company for sealing it.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, i have 3 kids so it will get alot of use, and i am very fussy, so I will make sure it's okay if I do use it, tks, Michelle