Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer2413

Need pro-style range 101

jennifer2413
9 years ago

Hey all. We redid our kitchen 2 years ago, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the process. I went with a Kitchen Aid 30 inch gas range. (KGRS505XSS) I loved the two ovens, (one full sized, one small) but hated the crowded cooktop. Went with a over-the-range microwave, which I will never do again. (Terribly noisy, and not a good choice for a short adult with small kids.)

We just pulled the trigger on our dream house and will be doing a complete kitchen gut and reno. I definitely want two ovens (not necessarily two full-sized ovens) and a hood this time. I am thinking of taking the plunge to a professional style 48 inch range, but I am completely clueless about them. What are the pros and cons ? We don't have the budget for a Wolf or Viking. Can anyone point me to a good resource to get up to speed on more affordable options? What brands should I be shopping? (Bertazzoni?) We potentially have a hookup for a discount on anything in the Whirlpool family -- is the JennAir a good bet? The Kitchen Aid? Any and all info welcome. Thanks so much!

This post was edited by Jennifer2413 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:15

Comments (10)

• crl_
    9 years ago

You might check out the appliances forum as well. Lots of help over there.

And I think it would help people to know a little more. Are you looking for pro style because you like the looks? Or is there some particular function you are looking for?

Things I would consider in a total kitchen remodel would include separating the ovens and the cooktop. Wall ovens are so nice ergonomically if you have the space and a layout that can work with them.

And I would investigate induction cooking. I came back to the appliances forum about a year and a half ago to research a new range for my new-to-me house and discovered induction. I decided to go for it rather than the gas I had originally planned on and I am thrilled that I did. Induction is functionally so much better for me: heats water to a boil in an amazingly short period of time, low simmer is easy to achieve, surface is super easy to clean, and the surface doesn't get very hot which is a nice safety thing for me with a four year old.

But if you are set on the look of a pro style range none of this satisfies that desire.

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I am intrigued by wall ovens. I was trying to figure out how two wall ovens and a cooktop stacked up price wise against a pro-style that has all those in one.

I think what I like about the pro-style is the one full-sized and one small oven, which suits our needs. I would love that Kitchen Aid 30 inch double oven if it had a different cooktop. Does anyone else make something similar? And I will ask this on appliances as well.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I find the ajmadison website easy to search for appliances by a wide variety of criteria. They carry a really big selection of appliances and you can get an idea of prices pretty easily. Maybe try poking around on there to see what's available at what price points.

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip!
    Using AJ Madison, it looks like GE makes some 30 inch ranges with 2 ovens...

This post was edited by Jennifer2413 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 17:19

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that a 48-inch range will need a 48" hood and the accompanying larger ductwork, which may add a lot of cost.

As others have said you could instead get wall ovens, and I would suggest a 36" rangetop. There are a couple threads on the Appliances Forum about cooktops vs. rangetops, and another where people favor a 36" range plus one wall oven which is a speed oven. That way, you get a gas oven, an electric oven, a roomy rangetop, and a speed oven all at once.

Thread about Rangetops vs. Cooktops

Thread about Range and Speed Oven

• practigal
    9 years ago

Thank you Mrs. Nyefnyef I really appreciated your answer and the links. They were very helpful!

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much. This is all really helpful.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

This isn't an easy decision because, as we all know, the kitchen is a game of dominos.

You've obviously targeted the range as an important appliance. The other big ticket is the refrigerator so I would look at that right away as well with any tradeoffs in mind.

First, are you a stovetop cook or an oven cook? IOW, which is more important to you, the burners or the oven?

What's your oven experience so far? Gas or electric? Any preferences?

Do you need a microwave? Speed oven? Steam oven? If one or more then I would prioritize.

Pro ranges, something like a 48" (my DD has a Wolf dual fuel) give you multiple burners and very large ovens. Those hold big pans and quantities but take a lot of time to heat. If the ovens are going while you're working on the top, a pro range can be very hot to work at.

Pro ranges come with gas ovens and dual fuel, with electric. Dual is more expensive. So do you need 2 big gas ovens?

How many burners would be ideal? Is 6 enough? Are high outout burners important? If so, do you want all high output or is one enough? How important is simmer to you?

Mrs. Nyefnyef makes a very good point about the range size and attendant hood and vent sizing. No matter what pro range goes in, a hood is essential especially with high output burners. Hood costs go up with size, of course.

So there's the big range option -- say min 6 burners and 2 big ovens in the range.

Or, there's the rangetop or cooktop option - with double electric wall ovens if that's a preference.

Or there's a dual fuel rangetop plus induction option if, say, you do a lot of pasta and want 2 fast induction burners. Plllog, who cooks a lot has a combo like this.

Or, there's the rangetop/cooktop option - with a single electric wall oven and a smaller speed or steam oven. Plus microwave if that's needed.

Or any mix of the above.

The Berta and Ilve and Verona are ranges at better price points than the other brands but there are various trade offs in the burner ignitions, oven sizes and styling.

First, I'd try to decide what's most important to you, and what's needed. But I'd worry less about which range and more about what's needed throughout the kitchen.

jennifer2413 thanked rococogurl
  • hawkeyeui93
    9 years ago

I bought my pro style range at a significant discount [and with no sales tax] at designerhomesurplus.com [a subsidiary of Elite Appliances of Dallas, Texas]. My range was delivered as promised and shipped in perfect condition.

Here are the current clearance 48 inch range options available: http://www.designerhomesurplus.com/mainSearch.php?page=0amp;sort=0amp;desc=&rows=10&key=&pMin=&pMax=&man=&lvl1=Cooking&lvl2=Ranges&lvl3=Freestanding%20Ranges&siz=48&fin=&pow=&ser=&pro=&ste=0