Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing food items in base cabinets

Posted by Marisa99 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 9:43

We are doing a minor renovation to our kitchen. We'll be adding an 6 foot island. I'd like to store food items(cans, bottles, boxed items, etc) in the island. Any pictures to share so I can visualize what kind of drawers/doors I should be looking at?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing food items in base cabinets

No pix, but my 12" wide vertical pullout is excellent for keeping bottled condiments, vinegars, oils, etc., very accessible at point of use.

Mine's Ikea and the tall bottom shelf pulls out with the door, then 2 other shelves above pull out separately. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but it's been excellent. The top shelf is shallow and holds lots of those little things like plastic containers for garlic and shallots, tubes of wasabi and anchovy paste, packets of gelatin and yeast, sauce thickeners, etc., etc.

o

Thanks Rosie! I'll be going to Ikea sometime in the next few weeks to look at their cabinets and accessories. I'm thinking of all drawer units but what you describe sounds interesting. I'll be sure to take a look at them.
Anyone else with pictures? Please?

o

you could do a drawer similar to this one - have either 'side' open a bit (could use a dowel rod along each side to keep them in place) so you can easily see what you have (or don't have). have a 'regular' (pretty much) drawer space between the 2 to store large jars, bottles, cans (v8 juice, other juices, drinks).

some on here store their can goods in drawers and even dry goods. You could have a pasta/noodle drawer, 1 for mixes (store on their sides so you can still easily see what it is).

buzzy0 2

you could use a drawerstack similar to this one for snacks? canned drinks on the bottom, chips etc in the top drawer. Or just 2 separate regular drawers for them.

I'm hoping to have a 'drawer' like the bottom one (a bit shorter) w/no 'inner upper drawer' for 2L pop bottles and gallon water jugs.

doube drawer 2  but separate gw 082009

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here