Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesfjamesf

Yet another design help request

jamesfjamesf
11 years ago

I used to be good at this but this house is confounding me. The kitchen is too deep to not have an island but not deep enough to have a useful one. The original layout had a peninsula on the left side of the north wall (north is up) and some cabinets plus fridge on the south wall (where the wall oven inset is now). I like the idea of a galley with island but the space all gets filled up before I'm done adding things :-)

The space is 11'4 N-S, and roughly 14' E-W from the far right to the large window. The cabinet in mid air in the eat-in area is just a 36" deep spacer for gauging scale while I position things.

I'm not a fan of formal diningrooms so I'm tempted to wall this one off and use it as an office, freeing up that wall for a row of cabinets, but the next family in here might want that as a homework-while-cooking room, plus I'd be limited to an 18" island. There is plumbing in that wall so the best I can do is that wall oven inset.

To the right of the fridge is a plumbing chase. The "working" side of the island has 42" clearance between cabinet faces, and the other side is 28" so there's a bit of massaging that needs to happen.

I'd love to hear your ideas and critiques.

thanks,

jim

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH