Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dama2g_gw

Kitchen Paint Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dama2g
9 years ago

My cabinets are very similar to bm niveous (creamy). I have a black granite counter and white subway tile backsplash. Right now I have Weston flax on the walls but it makes the cabs look very yellow. I need a change!
What color would you paint the walls? Something similar to the cabs or another neutral color? Cool or warm? Not sure what to do...?!?
Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• romy718
    9 years ago

You might want to also post this on Home Decorating Forum. The group on that forum is very helpful with paint color advice.

• eam44
    9 years ago

I'd head into the blues. If you have natural light in your space go light like cut diamond below, a Ralph Lauren paint. If yours is a north facing, naturally dark room (I know people tend to try to go light, but) go dark navy.

• lam702
    9 years ago

That wall paint is what is making your cabinets look yellow. I have light maple cabinets, and I painted the walls beige without doing a sample on the wall first. It turned out the beige had an orange undertone which I didn't notice until I painted it on the walls. It made my cabinets look very yellow/orangey, almost like the dreaded honey oak color. I had to repaint the whole kitchen again. Blues are nice, or a light gray would work too. Test a sample on the wall before painting the whole thing though!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

My first thought when it comes to color is ALWAYS green!!!

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

We did a green/gray and had similar cabinet colors.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Are the adjacent rooms warm or cool? I think it is best to keep the same feel.

I think that the cabinet color can work with both warm or cool-- but my basic inclination is toward a green, blue, gray palette . See the colors in the window (in your picture)? Don't you think that the blues/green of the leaves look nice next to the cabinets?

• cindallas
    9 years ago

Well from what I'm seeing in the photo, the white window and trim and the white tile backsplash are making the cream cabinets more yellow in comparison. Is that also wall/paint just below the undercounter lights and above the backsplash? If so, it looks like it is halogen lights that look warmer than the wall paint above the window. Maybe change to a cooler or neutral LED if possible.

And so yes, the yellow walls are just making it even warmer and more yellow if that's not the look you want. I think it looks rather nice personally. But if it is too yellow for you, a cooler color on the walls could help. Like the really nice color that EAM44 suggests. Would probably pick up the subtle blue and/or green undertones of your nice Soapstone too... sorry re read your post and you have black granite. Oh well. The blues or greens might pull some imaginary undertones from the black!! :-)

I'm not familiar with your history or other posts, so did the cabinets color bother you before you painted the walls yellow? What was it before? I'm just curious how long the cabinets have looked "too yellow"? Also, wondering if the cabinets were factory painted finish or were they painted (or reprinted) in place?

Hope you can try some of these things and maybe they can help.

(edited for countertop correction)...

This post was edited by cindallas on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 5:50

• CAbeachGal
    9 years ago

Black or Gloss Navy because if it's glossy enough, it will make your kitchen reflect more light. The long black counter top runs into the range and this throws off your eye. And I think the light bulbs are also making the color less true. If you have your bottom cabinets a darker color, deep dark grey, black or navy, then your backsplash will look even more crisp and clean. Paint the bottom cabinets first and then decide how you'll do the tops ones. Those cabinet pulls you have will really pop and look very chic with a darker color. You could just add more light too and not paint, because it is a nice kitchen and more light would help the colors stand apart as you requested.

BUTâ¦.the peninsula you have and the feel of the other room is so serene and nice looking too!!! I think I'd go with a grey that matches the counter there and then add bigger cabinet and drawer pulls that are the same on the drawer and cabinet to bring both of your spaces together. You could also just change your light bulbs to warm up the tones that are making you distressed. I really like the brand - TCP - soft white - dimmable LED - with the green strip on the box. We tested lots of LED and other CFL lights and I found this particular one to really warm up a room and let colors be themselves.