Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capegirl05

How thick is your butcher block island countertop?

Capegirl05
12 years ago

Ordering my butcher block for the island on Monday and need to know what thickness is best. I am ordering from Craft-Art and there is not a lot of difference in price between the 1 1/2" and 1 3/4". Can some of you that have the butcher block island top guide me?

Thanks so much!

Capegirl

Comments (11)

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

We have a nice Boos counter. I would have guessed 1 3/4 or 2 inches.

It is actually 1 1/2 when I measured.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I used 1 3/4" because it permitted me to do a molding on the bottom edge as well as the big ogee on the top edge. And it's a tabletop (non-fixed island, I guess) BTW.
    Casey

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy, yes, I will post a picture after install, although my 13-yr ld will have to show me how to post a pic ;)...I am going with the 1 3/4...we have 3cm granite coming, so I think the 1 3/4 will be best. We just opted for a simple island with seating on one side...no sinks. Thanks for the replies from everyone. It makes the decision-making process less grueling. Anyone else?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I have some pictures, maybe they can help.
    Thick can be gorgeous but as you can see any style wood
    top is pretty.
    ~boxer

• jillandmatt
    12 years ago

I just got my craft art DIY top last week! It is 1 3/4 inches. I think the thickness looks great and would not go any thinner. Have you checked out the DIY store at on Craft-Art's website? I am in the process of finishing it myself. I will be posting pictures soon!!!
    Jill

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Jill...how easy is the finishing? Yes, I plan to do it myself. Let us know how it comes out!

Boxer....thanks for the pics, as always. I wonder how thick those countertops in the pictures are? They look like they could be 2" or even 3"...??

• jillandmatt
    12 years ago

So far I have stained the top (3 feet x 7 feet) and put one coat of Waterlox on it, and it has been SUPER easy. I had the top put in our great room (we made two wooden horses for it to sit on) flipped over with the bottom up so I could do some sample finishes on the bottom. My original plan was to finish it with mineral oil so I could use it for chopping. When I put a sample of the mieral oil on it I didn't like it :( It was pretty but just not the look I wanted. It had dark brown, golden brown and blonde stripes and had a slightly orange tint. Some might love the striped look but I wanted it to be less "busy" and an overall darker brown color. I decided to stain it and tried out several stains (on the bottom). I picked a color called "Moorish Teak". I let the stain dry for 24 hours and yesterday applied the first coat of Waterlox. I will try to post some pictures today! So far it looks absolutely beautiful!!!!!! :)

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Jill, thanks for the update. So for finishing, you can either do the tung oil and it helps it stay the natural color of the wood OR you can stain it to be the color you want using THEIR stain or any stain and then put the Waterlox on it OR you can just do the waterlox alone with no stain on it to preserve the wood...this allows you to be able to cut on it and prepare food on it??? What type of wood did you get? I am undecided, of course! I like the maple and the walnut options. My white oak wood floor will be stained a Medium brown...not sure if I should match the floor to the
    block, go a little lighter? I don't see myself cutting on it but I would do some prep on it....make sandwiches, cut veggies on a cutting board on top. So, not sure what kind of finish I would need...Keep me posted on how it is going!

• jillandmatt
    12 years ago

I believe everything you wrote is correct except you wouldn't cut on a top that is finished with Water Lox, only one finished in mineral oil. Mineral oil has no sheen and is used for cutting boards.
    My island top is black walnut and is the edge grain style. When I put the mineral oil on it, it looked liked the first picture above posted by boxerpups (more busy). Now that I've stained it, it looks more like the last picture posted above by boxerpups. Mine may be just a bit darker than that one. I've read a lot about Water Lox and it is supposed to give a beautiful finish and protects well from water. I used a stain from a local paint store, but one that is compatible with Water Lox. I've never posted a picture, but I will try to figure it out! :)

• cathrine.w
    12 years ago

maybe here you can find it

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop Butchers block sale