Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Final details - one handle or two?

foodonastump
10 years ago

Shown here is the extent of my drawers. (Not shown in the majorly cropped photo is an embarrassing mess - a mix of tools, dirty pots, and stuff that has yet to find a home in my new kitchen.) There's only one long drawer, plus the blank under the sink.

I haven't started hardware shopping, but I'm leaning towards handles all around. In the likely event that the style I choose does not have matching long handles...

1) Would you do one or two handles on the long drawer to the left of the DW?

2) Whatever I do there, do I have to match it on the nonfunctional sink blank? Aesthetically I'm leaning towards yes, but on the other hand I'd prefer not to have belt loop catchers there if I don't have to.

Thoughts? Thanks!

This post was edited by foodonastump on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 9:36

Comments (15)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Are you using bar pulls aka belt loop catchers? If they're not bar pulls, I wouldn't worry about catching belt loops.

I think aesthetically, it would better with handles on both drawer fronts and I'd go with one rather than two. You can use the sink blank pull as a towel holder in a pinch.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

One handle on the drawer. I am undecided on the sink front. Aesthetically it would probably look better to have one. And good idea about using it to hold the towel.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I don't have a straight-on shot of my widest drawers at the moment, but you can see all of my drawers. The ones to the right of the range are 34" wide; two drawers on top. I chose to put two pulls on the bottom drawers. The ones on the right side of the range are only 24" wide, so one pull each.

I don't know what possessed me to put two pulls on the sink tip-out instead of one, but I honestly think either way would have been fine. If not for the tip-out, I would not have put pulls on that one.

Not all pulls are belt loop catchers! Mine are curved, tight to the door or drawer front. My Mom has pointy-ended pulls in her house, which played a large part in my decision to not use them.

I was convinced for months that I wanted all horizontal pulls, after seeing so many beautiful examples here. But when I held them up to my cabinets that way, it didn't feel right. Im pleased with the way they turned out.

Good luck with your hunting! Your cabinets are beautiful.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I vote for no pulls on the sink blank. That's what I have and it has never occurred to me that it should mimic a drawer. It's pretty obvious, given its placement in front of a sink, that it's not a real drawer.

At one point I considered adding a long appliance pull so that I could hang my dishtowel there. Two things stopped me: 1) something poking into my stomach when I'm cozied up to the sink, 2) damp things can wreak havoc with both a painted and stained finish. Ask me how I know. :)

• Fori
    10 years ago

I bought extra pulls for the sink blank thinking I could add them later if I decided I needed them.

I still have the extra pulls, but I don't have the kitchen.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I think it was sparklingwater who used some knobs on the sink blank and I loved the way that looks. Even though I've totally over-thought my pulls and knobs, I still reserve the right to change my mind when they arrive.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I wouldn't hang a dishtowel in front of the sink...the one I have hanging from the handle of the oven always falls off when working in that area...drives me crazy....I just havent found another good spot for it.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

annkh,
    your pulls look great. can i ask what type they are? Pulls are my next project..

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I wouldn't hang a dishtowel in front of the sink...the one I have hanging from the handle of the oven always falls off when working in that area...drives me crazy....I just havent found another good spot for it.

Me either and for the same reason (that's where my dishtowel is in my current apartment and that's where it was in my last house, but in my current remodel it will have it's own place to the right of the sink on the front of a 6" filler cabinet). If I didn't have a place to put the dishtowel, I'd get an undercabinet pull-out bar for it.

Oh, and that wasn't even your question! I would put handles on the faux-drawer under the sink because I like the way they look.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. I think I'm now leaning towards on pull on the drawer and a spare for the blank so I can further obsess without committing!

Annkh, your kitchen looks great. It hadn't occurred to me that pulls don't have to have catching ends. Your choice of two pulls makes perfect sense to me in your application.

Fori - You always make me laugh! Been meaning to tell you that ever since you posted your height as 61" rather than 5'1" over on Appliances. Not sure why that struck me as funny - probably because I think of kids as measured in inches. ;)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Me either and for the same reason (that's where my dishtowel is in my current apartment and that's where it was in my last house, but in my current remodel it will have it's own place to the right of the sink on the front of a 6" filler cabinet). If I didn't have a place to put the dishtowel, I'd get an undercabinet pull-out bar for it.

Oh, and that wasn't even your question! I would put handles on the faux-drawer under the sink because I like the way they look.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Bayport House, South Bay in satin nickel, 5". They feel wonderful - nice and solid.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pulls

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Ditto everything Linelle said. In addition to the "why not" on the faux sink drawer panel is that I don't like leaning on a damp towel. Plus, what if someone else in the kitchen needed to dry their hands on the towel when I'm at the cleanup sink in front of the towel? I'd have to move. I hate moving when I've finally talked myself into doing the dishes. :)

As for the two pulls vs one, personally I prefer one longer pull to two shorter pulls on a drawer. Two seems to get visually messy for me. But that's me.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tacking onto this thread because it already has a pic of my cabinets... What do you think about the middle handle - 5" spread - to use all around on my shakers?

Also, am I overthinking things or do casting marks drive other people nuts? I ruled out several options because it thought it would bother me.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Personally, I like the look of two pulls on a wider drawer than two. One always looks orphaned, to me - even if it's a longer pull.

I have two pulls on drawers 30" or wider.

I would never put knobs or pulls that have "tails" (i.e., the pull part is wider than the distance b/w the stems) on base cabinets because they're "pocket catchers/rippers" - they catch on pockets and other things when working at them or passing too close by.

It's all personal opinion - if you have good drawer hardware, there's no functional difference b/w one pull and two.

As to pulls on the decorative drawer fronts on sink bases - I think others have covered the issues already.