Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

pantry doors- single or double?

illinigirl
10 years ago

I am trying to decide on our pantry doors. Initially I asked for them to be made by the cabinet makers to match the rest of the kitchen cabinets- they would be two 18" doors.

Now I'm wondering if it's a hassle to deal with double doors vs a single....and if we do a single if we should just do a regular interior door, or some kind of decorative glass door, or something else.

Whatever we choose it has to be able to LOCK. Whether it's with a locking style knob, a childproofing mechanism, or an added simple keyed lock put into the door in the case of a double door scenario. I won't need to lock them every time I go in and out, but I'll probably lock them up at the end of a prep time or cleanup time for the night.

Anyone have double pantry doors and thoughts on using them easily or not so easily compared to a single door? Does anyone have a single door made to match the cabinetry?

Comments (9)

• Kristen Hallock
    10 years ago

We have a tall pantry cabinet that is 24" wide. I had the same thing in my last house (with pull-outs inside). When I ordered it this time I assumed it would be 1 24" door. But when I read the order I saw the BUTT doors and I was upset with myself for not noticing that. So now we have a pantry with 2 12" doors instead. I actually like it. The pantry is next to the fridge and that is a traffic aisle thru the kitchen. So its nice that its not blocked by a 24" door.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Are you talking about a cabinet type pantry or an actual permanent pantry?

Personally I would not want to have to open two doors to access the pantry. It just seems inconvenient. And I would definitely not want glass doors on my pantry unless you are meticulous in the way you keep everything. But even so, I would probably not want my food to be on display!!

I have a regular interior door on my pantry. One of my neighbors has the same kitchen set up and has a bifold door and hates it.

Good luck!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i'm talking about a walk in pantry. The cabinet designer has it set up now as two 18" wide doors (butt doors I guess they're called) that open out just like a set up two upper cabinet doors would. I suppose I could have them open in or out, there will be space to do that. This pantry is in the kitchen itself so looks matter but they won't outweigh inconvenience if that's the case.

My pantry is very large because I'm intending to put all foods in there plus all small appliances. I have a special needs child and he can get into foods and make big messes. So yes it will be inconvenient to get every single dry ingredient out of a pantry to cook BUT that is the price I'm willing to pay in order to not have to cleanup an entire bag of chips all over the house or a jug of oil spilled everywhere.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Maybe a decorative pantry door on it like mine with a numbered coded keypad.

You need to keep the door locked frequently but you also need to be able to have quick access to it as well as most of the rest of the family.

What better way than a numbered keypad? It may be a little unusual but I wouldn't want to be messing around with keys if I were you.

You can get a very attractive, somewhat discrete keypad in a matching finish to the rest of your interior door hardware.

My pantry door is a Trustile brand.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Illinigirl, for me it would depend on the storage within. If you're stepping IN to get items from a deep closet, then 1 door opening out, shelves wrapping around in a U. If shallow, 2 doors, with the full width of the shelves visible when each is open.

You could also install a wireless remote-control door lock.

BTW, I like to use food as kitchen decor, also cookbooks, and mine's never impeccable. Like the rest of my house, though. A way of saying I like the idea of glass.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Could you do a pocket door? Those might be tricky to lock though.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I think one door would be more convenient for everyday use. How about a slide bolt at the top? (I'm assuming your child can't reach that high) Easy to use when you need to get in. I installed these on my home office doors when our boys were young, twenty plus years ago, they did the trick, and they look good too... Mine are just simple Baldwin Dutch door bolts, they usually come with both strikes for in swing like mine, or out swing which is what you have.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the inputs,
    I think we will have some options. here is the pantry so you get a better picture of what we're dealing with. I put two fridge (this is a second fridge) location options. The left side towards the window I think I will put a counter depth space for appliances with 12" deep upper shelves. Depending on where I choose the fridge to be (leaning towards option 1) then I'll put my most frequently used items on shelves where the option 2 space is, then less frequently used items on the right side towards the window. I'm going to fit a printer somewhere in there too.

This pantry is going to take a lot of thought for me to get right.

As far as the door(s) go, I was most recently thinking of a single door but smaller than the 36" space that is drawn currently. Maybe 28" or whatever is more standard, then use something decorative. Either glass or have them make one resembling the cabinetry. I'm still thinking it could open inwards. because of the odd kind of space I don't think I would have any shelves immediately lining the wall that the door would open up against but I'll think more on it.

Locking mechanism, it could be something as simple as a doorknob that has the lock control on the inside and I could either pop out with a pin, or open with a key. The key could stay right in the lock itself, he's not going to figure that out. then attach it somehow so it doesn't get lost. Or I like the idea of those overhead latches. We have some french doors in our current house that lock like that. Numbered keypad would work but I do think that's more time consuming than some of the other options.

[img]

[/img]