Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Help finalize YELLOW color placement for my kitchen Today

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, I have to finalize this for Monday. Definite items are yellow lowers and white uppers. Stainless appliances, although dishwasher will be paneled, the fridge will not be.

Inspiration Photo:

Color Placement Photo I have been planning on: (side panel near ovens should be yellow as well.) If I go with this, I am having an issue deciding if crown moulding will be yellow or white on tall pieces. **There will be white crown around whole room even though it isn't shown in drawings. (meaning above door to outside and on beam separating kitchen/dining)

Now, (maybe b/c I'm getting anxious about final decisions and having yellow overload) I'm thinking those tall units might stay white like the uppers. In my last discussion on this I had varying answers on this.

My yellow is Barley 199 and White is Mascarpone AF-20.

Here it is against our Danby Marble which will be for perimeter:

Here is version with all white on the uppers and tall pieces:

***Keep in mind, I will bring yellow UP by having these lights over the walnut topped island:

Put yellow (& some blue) bowls, vases, colanders in the open shelving above baking station...

Above kitchen window doing a custom valance with my bird fabric:

Shown with probably backsplash:

I don't want to make the open shelving back yellow b/c I'm putting yellow items on it... Nor do I want to make the backs of the glass cabs yellow for same reason.

The painters painted the first coats of paint on walls I chose OC-8 Elephant Tusk. It will barely be seen and is neutral with a touch of yellow undertone. The wall where banquette will go is Woodlawn Blue. I'll try to add a picture of the real space later.

Here is the final 3D of the kitchen plan... Note the plan was changed- stacked cabinets were removed for one door cabinets that have a glass panel on the top.

Also the broom closet was moved to under beam next to fridge.

And the Overhead view of kitchen and dining area.

The built ins in the dining are will be all white with walnut counters... No yellow...

SO, do you think I should bring the yellow up on tall cabs or leave white and let the accessories bring the yellow up? It may help keep a lighter, airier feel to the space. Another good option that has been suggested is I could use some walllpaper like my inspiration picture around the door to the outside. It could be done in the open cabinetry but I'd prefer to leave that white and showcase other accessories without that pattern/color in the back. Also it would be easier to change wallpaper out on the wall than in a cabinet.

Comments (124)

• deedles
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm getting confused but still sticking with white island/white talls and uppers, yellow lowers. Esp. now that the pic with the fabrics is posted. Boom. Love the fabrics up high with the white. C.U.T.E.

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Boy, this forum is amazing. Corgimum, that's such a wonderfully helpful thing to do.
    I still like the all talls yellow (1st pic) the best, and with yellow talls and the piece under the beam white following. The yellow is so soft and warm, the white is, well, just white (and I love Mascarpone, it's on all my trim).
    This will be one beautiful kitchen.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I like the second picture in your first post where only lowers are yellow. I think the look is easier on the eye. The yellow uppers will compete with the stainless fridge and then what will you do for the crown? Just MHO. It is so gorgeous! When are the cabinets due to be installed?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey All-
    I just wanted to post a picture of the fridge wall so you can see that upper white cabinet to the left of the fridge that can't be seen in the kitchen view.
    I think the broom closet has to be whatever the fridge is (unlike picture 3 of corgimum's) or else we will have white/yellow/white.
    Also just so you can see that wall from straight on... no matter what the window valance will have white cabs on either side.
    Thanks so much. I can't imagine my kitchen without GardenWeb.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

All white with yellow lowers is still my favorite by far for the same reasons herbflavor, linelle, breezy, deedles, and pball have given.

corgimum's last picture shows up all black for me.

How much longer before we can see the real life pictures of them installed ?!?!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

oh, wow, thanks to Corgimom's renderings, after seeing all of the options and realizing that your walls are also going to be yellow, I would vote for #1 like Breezygirl.
    If you were to paint your walls white, I would vote for Taggie's choice.
    it will be lovely regardless though!
    Here are some houzz pics i found that might give you some more ideas on how your kitchen might look going with either choice. HTH!
    I am excited to see your results!

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-townhouse-kitchen-transitional-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~799110)

[Modern Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Dc Metro General Contractor NVS Remodeling & Design

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-tel-aviv-phvw-vp~27094)

[Mediterranean Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2109) by Tel Aviv Architect NURIT GEFFEN-BATIM STUDIO

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/donna-dufresne-traditional-kitchen-portland-phvw-vp~269736)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Portland Interior Designer Donna DuFresne Interior Design

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Of those I like the 3rd : )

I'm laughing bc my goal was to have walls that are NOT yellow and chose oc-8 elephant tusk which didn't look yellow on a large swatch I painted however does look barely yellow in my real life pics of kitchen above.
    What do u think?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

fishies, I know what you mean! I have just bought probably 30 samples from BM to find a creamy white for my house. a bunch looked yellow, some ended up looking pink, some looked orangey, some were too bright, etc.. i think i also tried the elephant tusk but it read as mustardy yellow in my house. lol!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Fishies, when my kitchen was finally done, it was way starker than I'd expected. Besides my red oak floor it was incredibly white and dark gray. It was what I wanted, but the reality was sobering. It was the end of February and I bought a bunch of daffodils at Trader Joe's and stuck them in a jar and put it on the counter. Suddenly I realized I was gonna be okay. That small bunch of yellow was like the sun breaking through on an overcast day. It's amazing what a small pop of color can do. I would imagine that your pendant, fabric and shelf items are going to inject plenty of yellow into the upper space.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Well, is it easier to paint yellow over white, or white over yellow, lol.

Whatever you do, it is changable. Understand that it's preferable not to have to do that....

You are going to have such a charming kitchen!

• sowega
    11 years ago

Another vote here for yellow on the lower cabinets only, with whites on the tall ones and uppers. The yellow will be more understated on the cabinets themselves, but still with the accents on the upper portion of the space...the overall combination will be powerful enough. Adding further yellow to the higher cabinets would not fit my eye as well, potentially too much clash with the pendants/window treatment/dishes as accents.

But as others said, this kitchen is without a doubt going to be a showstopper! I'm doing a pretty standard white kitchen, which is what I wanted. But ideas like this already have me thinking of how I would "jazz" up a future design and branch out my tastes somewhat.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I have a couple more days to decide. I SO wish I could see both ways in person! Lol
    Decorator says I have to do what I want and not to worry what everyone else thinks. The fact that there are so many opinions on this subject makes me think there isn't a right or wrong here?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Correct. No right or wrong. Simply what you (well, and us since you asked ;) ) think looks best.

• sas95
    11 years ago

Looking at all of these posts, it makes me sort of glad that I made all my kitchen design decisions before I found this forum. A zillion opinions on what are ultimately highly personal aesthetic choices can be paralyzing.

I'm sure whatever course you choose your kitchen will be lovely!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Fishies,

Since you started posting.. you have talked about the yellow kitchen.. I infact think of your kitchen as the OTYK.. One true yellow kitchen. You have enough of the full height cabinetry that if you make them white, you will have a white kitchen with some yellow accents.. I would suggest to be brave and go for yellow. If you notice all the pictures with 2 colors of crown molding, they work because the depth of the cabinet changes in those places.. So I think it will work for you as well as your full height cabinets are different depths than regular uppers and there is already a transition in the molding. Again like sas95 says.. there are a zillion opinions but it is not a democracy.. it is your kitchen so go with your gut..

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sas95- I know what you're saying. GW is amazing but can make it hard to make a decision (unless everyone agrees with each other). I guess ultimately we know what we want and are often looking for the answers we want to hear! Like Bee said, you make a decision and if it makes you feel "sicky" change it : )

lalitha- THANK YOU.

Just wanted to post pics corgimum did for me with the stainless fridge.

White Tall Cabs: (wall is yellow though which makes it look better IMO. IRL it isn't really as yellow)

Tall Yellow Ovens/Pantry:

Tall Cabinets Yellow:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK- I don't know why the first and last are black?

Thanks again everyone : )

Cabinets go in in a couple of weeks hopefully! Here are our floors that got done this weekend

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Beautiful Floors, and your kitchen is going to be spectacular also.
    Love the yellow.

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your kitchen come to life!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the oven/pantry wall and where the yellow would end at bottom and white begin.... (or I may continue the yellow for ovens/pantry)

I am definitely doing white around fridge as it works well with dining room and just having the white in between the two windows.. The problem is that then if I also do white ovens/pantry there isn't really enough yellow I think with the white island. With a yellow island (which I don't want to do) I think the 2 tall white uppers would work better. Looking around my space, it seems the base yellows are not a huge amount especially since the island will block a lot of them from many views.

I really think leaving the ovens/pantry yellow will ground the color in the room visually and being that in reality that tall ovens/pantry and the fridge talls are not on the same wall or same sight line it would work fine should I decide to do that.

On the baking wall (below) the yellow lowers are about 7 feet and the pantry/ovens are 5 feet.

The white cabinet is where the pantry/ovens would begin if I did white.

I know at this point I just have to decide but figured since I started this thread this photo might help : )

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I think the white fridge/yellow oven stack will be fine. A white oven area would look too chopped up.

What is your blue? I can't believe we're both doing yellow and aqua. I'm not sure I'm going with the Barley anymore, because on all cabs (uppers and lowers) I think it might get too intense in direct contrast with aqua. Looks good in your space, though.

I can't believe how far you've come so quickly! How long ago was demo?

• taggie
    11 years ago

I agree with marcolo -- white fridge, yellow oven stack. And you will have a gorgeous yellow kitchen.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Can you do a mock up of all yellow cabinets...with white island? Then maybe the same thing...with the white baking area (but yellow oven cabinets)?

While I think all white cabinets with yellow walls is also pretty (your drawings look so crisp with all white) I know you really love the yellow cabinets...and they're so cheerful! :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- Thanks! At first I thought you wrote the yellow oven stack would be too chopped up but now I'm glad to see you said the white fridge stack and yellow oven/pantry stack would be fine. Right? (i'm delirious)

I just want to see enough yellow (after all those months of choosing one!!) without doing too much.

The blue is Woodlawn Blue (HC-something). I see it used a lot and love it and it's great b/c if you remember we had brown/aqua in our living room so now the new area will blend well with it. I agree with you about having the aqua with the Barley. We don't have many walls that will not have cabinetry on them but I REALLY didn't want any of the barley cabs to be right up against the Woodlawn Blue as I'm scared of the easter egg look. That's why I decided to just use it on the banquette wall (which is mostly covered in cabs and bench) and then it continues on same wall in LR around fireplace. Hoping it won't be too busy but at least with paint on a wall you can change it!

Demo started the first week of July. Supposed to be done around October 25th but the cabs are holding us up so it will probably be a bit after that.

taggie- thanks!

lavender- Do you mean all yellow meaning the uppers too? Corgimum posted some great Photoshop ones above but not all yellow-- just all yellow on the tall cabs with yellow bases.

(ps- we're definitely doing yellow base cabs... it was the tall fridge and oven cabs that were in question)...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS- Our paint is only one coat so far...

Also, Corgimum did new photos for me with the Stainless fridge but they are coming up black when I post them. I don't know why. on photobucket they look fine.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

FRIDGE: White
    OVEN STACK: Yellow
    PANTRY BY OVEN: Yellow

Is that clear enough? ;-)

I know from delirious, believe me.

My color consultant (LOL, can't believe I just wrote that) offered us some greener aquas and that helps a lot with the yellow cabs. Yours will be fine.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! Thanks!

BTW- my kitchen/dr paint color is OC-8 elephant tusk which I did not think was yellow... even after painting it on a piece of poster board... However, now with one coat in a large space it is reading yellow! Hoping after the 2nd coat it will be a little less yellow like my poster board is. Guess I'm just attracted to those colors after staring at them for so long. Anyway, maybe that will be good with the white uppers. It also looks less yellow next to Barley being there is such a contrast.

Yes, I like greener aquas too but needed to go more bluish with the bird fabric. My GC's decorator liked Yarmouth Blue but I thought it was too blue and am glad I did this one.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

You obviously really want the oven cabinet yellow. I think it's throwing you off that so many of us have voted white. My vote is go ahead and have it painted yellow. You can always repaint it white if you don't end up liking it yellow.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- I know you like the yellow base cabinets...I was wondering what it would look like with yellow uppers.

I don't understand the yellow oven/pantry, but the white fridge/broom closet. I'm sure you've explained it, but I came in late and must have missed it.

Just going from the last 'mock up', I think I'd try the oven/pantry in white and the back wall of the uppers, in yellow. So, you'd see yellow in the glass cabinets and the open shelves. Maybe that would tie it all together a bit more...especially with the white island.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lavender- Just want to make sure I understand you...

Baking wall- yellow lowers and white uppers and then oven/pantry talls in white

Hood Wall- All Yellow (problem is that the corner upper cab is connected to cab on sink wall. Also crown color change b/c it doesn't "step out" anywhere to break it up)

Sink Wall- ? Yellow Lowers, White Uppers, and White Tall Fridge Cabinet

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

It seems to me, the fridge/broom closet and oven/pantry should match. If you like white, then white looks great...if you like yellow, then I'd have them both yellow.

For all other areas, yellow lowers and white uppers...but I'd paint the back of upper cabinets yellow. {{gwi:1947288}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1947289}}From Cottage house plans

Honestly, the white is nice (very crisp) but I like the yellow. The first looks like a white kitchen with yellow accents, but the second is a yellow kitchen with white accents. Just my two cents :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lavender : )

Yes, I want more yellow than just the bases but wasn't sure if having both tall pieces yellow (pantry/ovens on left and Fridge/Broom Closet on right) was too much and gives me two different colors touching that ceiling beam between kitchen and DR. I do think the white fridge cab works well for that reason and ALSO b/c then between the kitchen and DR window will just be white and flow into the DR's white cabinetry instead of being broken up with window/white/yellow fridge/wall/ window/white.

However, if both tall pieces are white there's not much yellow going on accept as mentioned in OP the lights, yellow bowls in open & glass shelving and windows treatments will bring up some yellow!

I think your rendition of painting the glass and open cabs yellow is nice but I wanted to put yellow items on the shelving so I liked the white behind it. (I know- I'm a pain in the neck- lol)
    Plus, the cabs are now all one cabinet (one door- not two) so when you open the doors I'd prefer all white inside than 2 colors if that makes sense.

So, I feel like I'm left with all white tall pieces (fridge and ovens) or white fridge with yellow ovens.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

What about the fridge yellow and the broom closet white? Then it would be white facing the dining area, but more yellow on the cabinets.

And...if you're having white in the glass cabinets, can you put yellow on the back of the open shelves? Also, I'd keep all the crown white...it just looks more cottage, IMHO :) {{gwi:1947290}}From Cottage house plans

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The broom closet has to be the same color on both sides of it. With the fridge being stainless there's really not too much yellow so that's a plus if I should go that route.

Here's the drawing of that wall. I could do the whole broom closet (side and front) in white and the fridge yellow but the white upper, then yellow fridge surround, then back to white broom closet may be even more distracting.

*Here's corgimum's rendering of both of the tall pieces in yellow with stainless fridge (had to go to flickr to get it to come up correctly). I like this but then one side has white touching under beam and the other has yellow. I think THIS is more obvious than the two tall pieces being different colors. I really like this drawing but think it looks better on paper than IRL.

*Here's both tall pieces in white. Note the back wall shows as same color as cabinets but that isn't the case.

*And here's the pantry/ovens Yellow and the fridge/broom in White:
    I know in the picture it seems both talls should be the same but IRL I don't think it's quite the same view, etc. Also the pantry/ovens has a real presence (5' wide) and the fridge and broom are barely anything-- just the surround around fridge and a 6" closet.

I guess not much left to say! I really like the fridge in white so It's either gotta be both tall pieces in white (in which case I'll need lots of yellow accents & maybe even paint the wall around door in Barley like the cabs???) OR Fridge White and Pantry/Ovens in yellow.

Thanks everyone. I am now at the point of ANNOYING MYSELF!!! : /
    lol

• deedles
    11 years ago

So. You're right where you started. :)

Barley? When did Barley enter in? Last time I looked it was white and yellow.

Looks like you'll have to decide. Some of us on here like one way and some the other so we're no help, ultimately.

When do you have your deciding date? Good luck fishes!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deedles- ha! Cabs are being built so I have to confirm colors in the next few days. Barley IS my yellow. (That cab door I keep showing is BM Barley) BTW that door isn't the style I'm doing... just a door I had lying around : )

• deedles
    11 years ago

Here Fishes: I just saw this on Houzz and it made me think of your kitchen. Just think how cute it'll be whichever way you decide to go...

And yeah, you do seem to be making incredible time on this kitchen. It seems like just a few weeks ago that you posted your inspiration pic for the first time. I'm jealous that you are at the point of being able to agonize over ordering your cabs...

:)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/stevenson-contemporary-kitchen-austin-phvw-vp~1477734)

[Modern Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Austin General Contractor TAS Construction

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I actually get emails from GW folks about how much they love LittleFishies. Seriously, you're down to debating whether your kitchen will be beautiful this way, or beautiful that way. Relax and enjoy. Believe me, everybody has minor regrets, but if you were making a terrible mistake, I'd tell you. You know that.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Okay LittleFishies, it is time to be the BigFishie now.

Be brave. Or not. But either way, just do what marcolo told you to do (*cough* yellow oven stack *cough*).

Just do it. You know you want to. :) And you will love it!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love you guys! It's 6:30 am on a Saturday and I've been awake in bed since 4:30 thinking about the kitchen and mostly this issue. That's bc I'm the type who after completing something big finds the things I should have done differently and dwells on them instead of enjoying the zillions of things I did RIGHT!

I'm so relieved to read these posts. I feel much better.

As far as progress the GC and our PM are amazing. Everything has been done incredibly well thus far and work has been constant minus a week the steel sub made an error in his schedule and now we will have to wait a couple of weeks for cabs. The siding is being finished outside and the covered porch is complete. They are detail oriented and have been SO considerate of us living here. They are neat, clean up every day, there's a port-o-John outside and when the gc's guys eat lunch inside they are quiet and respectful. Most of the job there was a temp wall in our LR so we could have privacy and really not see anyone if we didn't want to.
    Our PM has worked with me on everything and asks my preferences on even small things before doing them. If you remember this was the GC that was more expensive and does many of the high end homes in our area. We did work out a price that was close to the other 3 quotes I received.
    They are working on a multi million dollar home (and several other jobs) along with mine and we have NEVER been made to feel we were any less important here in our little Cape. I am so glad we went with our gut and used this company. Even the woman who does pricing in the office has contacted me a few times along the way to see how things are going, if we need her to do anything, or just give me the opportunity to vent (which I didn't need). : ). Hoping this all continues as well as it has!

Thanks again : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

taggie- I love the peer pressure tactic! : )

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Maybe you can do your painting in two parts...

Part 1) Paint everything you know you want yellow and everything you are sure you want white.

Part 2) Decide then what else should be yellow or white.

Color is so dependent on setting and light...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That would be great but the cabinet maker sprays them all off site and they all get installed after that. Thanks though!
    I think I've decided : )

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I may be reading into your 'gut,' because I think it agrees with what I like ;-)... But the one with the white/stainless fridge and yellow oven/pantry really speaks to me. I thought having both tall cabs in white somehow chopped up the kitchen and diminished how the yellow grounded the room.

And I didn't like them both trying to be matched in either color, because then they connected and took over the room. The oven cabinet looks somehow warmer and homier in color. It creates more of a natural-feeling unfittedness. The oven cab seemed too sterile and modern in the white, and as I said, the yellow bases flow better with it the same color.

I know my input is just an opinion, and on just a drawing to boot. It seems you know what you want in your gut, but are 2nd guessing and wanting some kind of sure encouragement. But it's your kitchen, and we'll all have our own preferences. Your choices prove your good eye.

I thought I grew past yellow ...used to love its sunny disposition in my bedroom as a teen, but it usually seems too baby shower to me now. So when I just started this thread, I thought "Too much yellow!" But as I read and saw more pics of your choices and how it's all coming together, I really love it all, and am excited to see it finished!! I think a lot of people want to use it and fight against it, at the same time, and you are just "all in." The layering of the yellows work like the white-on-white that's been popular recently, but with a braver twist. I think the 'mistake' with your wall color was a good one. ;-)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rhome- Thanks so much! I respect your opinion so that means a lot to me. I am so excited about this kitchen and yet being it's a bit different it can sometimes be a little scary. When I tell people yellow, I know they are thinking, "Really?". lol

I am hoping the choices I have made in both the shades of yellow as well as the other finishes will work as well as it does it my head! Everyone says, "do what you love. Who cares what others think?" but I think we all want others to love our kitchens as well--- even if it's not what they would have chosen for themselves : )

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I totally get what you're saying about wanting others to think it's beautiful... but they will. I got some very dubious looks, and can only imagine the thoughts going through their heads, when I talked of 4 cabinet colors, 3 counter materials, and 3 backsplashes for my kitchen. ;-) But I'm glad I went with my vision and didn't listen to their doubts... or my fears. I'm sure not everyone that comes in would want it, but that's OK. What ultimately matters is that I'm happy in it everyday, and so is my family. You will have that, too. One thing you can see here is that although there are some varying opinions on details, everyone loves your plans and colors.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I love how you explained yourself, Rhome410.

• taggie
    11 years ago

taggie- I love the peer pressure tactic! : )

Hahahaha. And btw, you should do what rhome410 says. Come on, you know you want to. ;-)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I think I know what you decided. ;)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Fishies - Wow! Lots of comments on your colors. I remember going through the colors and asking questions about everything - and so many different answers from everyone.
    Sometimes you have to go with your gut! Can't wait to see your beautiful kitchen. I am salivating just thinking about it!!