Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help finalize YELLOW color placement for my kitchen Today

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 9:25

OK, I have to finalize this for Monday. Definite items are yellow lowers and white uppers. Stainless appliances, although dishwasher will be paneled, the fridge will not be.

Inspiration Photo:

kit-yel-brocadewallpaper-435

Color Placement Photo I have been planning on: (side panel near ovens should be yellow as well.) If I go with this, I am having an issue deciding if crown moulding will be yellow or white on tall pieces. **There will be white crown around whole room even though it isn't shown in drawings. (meaning above door to outside and on beam separating kitchen/dining)

kitchen72212 7

Now, (maybe b/c I'm getting anxious about final decisions and having yellow overload) I'm thinking those tall units might stay white like the uppers. In my last discussion on this I had varying answers on this.

My yellow is Barley 199 and White is Mascarpone AF-20.

Here it is against our Danby Marble which will be for perimeter:
DSC00055

DSC00052

Here is version with all white on the uppers and tall pieces:

kitchen72212 9

***Keep in mind, I will bring yellow UP by having these lights over the walnut topped island:

images

Put yellow (& some blue) bowls, vases, colanders in the open shelving above baking station...
41O-VFGCFIL

870076_yel_b

23864820_072_b

780117_blu_b

Above kitchen window doing a custom valance with my bird fabric:
Large_EU-060

Shown with probably backsplash:
IMG_0659.JPG

I don't want to make the open shelving back yellow b/c I'm putting yellow items on it... Nor do I want to make the backs of the glass cabs yellow for same reason.

The painters painted the first coats of paint on walls I chose OC-8 Elephant Tusk. It will barely be seen and is neutral with a touch of yellow undertone. The wall where banquette will go is Woodlawn Blue. I'll try to add a picture of the real space later.

Here is the final 3D of the kitchen plan... Note the plan was changed- stacked cabinets were removed for one door cabinets that have a glass panel on the top.
Also the broom closet was moved to under beam next to fridge.
kitchen3d

And the Overhead view of kitchen and dining area.
overhead

The built ins in the dining are will be all white with walnut counters... No yellow...

SO, do you think I should bring the yellow up on tall cabs or leave white and let the accessories bring the yellow up? It may help keep a lighter, airier feel to the space. Another good option that has been suggested is I could use some walllpaper like my inspiration picture around the door to the outside. It could be done in the open cabinetry but I'd prefer to leave that white and showcase other accessories without that pattern/color in the back. Also it would be easier to change wallpaper out on the wall than in a cabinet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help finalize YELLOW color placement for my kitchen Today

Some photos of space...

Kitchen Color:

DSC00102

Dining Wall (Banquette and built ins- will only see a little of blue but that wall continues into living room)
DSC00098

DSC00095

DSC00093

DSC00091

o

Oh, wow.
What beautiful colors they're turning out to be.
I love the soft yellow of your cabinets!!!!!

I find myself leaning towards white molding. I read the other thread and couldn't decide, but seeing them again and the drawings, I think I have. If you continue the molding up white, it'll just make the room taller. Your eye won't jump from one to the other.

This is going to be such an elegant, homey kitchen. I am really impressed at how each detail is coming together!

o

I love your kitchen, it's going to be sooooo beautiful. What I would do would be to split the color on the tall pieces. I'd make the bottem panel of each tall piece yellow and the upper 2 panels cream.

o

I'm thinking there might be a little too much yellow in the first picture. I like the second one better where there's more white, but I still can't quite decide where the yellow should end and the white should begin. For example, the drawer under the stove, I'm wonderng if it should be yellow, but then I don't know if the cabinet to the right of it should be yellow or white. I do know I like the fridge cabinet in white.

o

I like the tall cabinets in all white as in 2nd pic. White crown.

o

cefreeman- but do u think pantry, ovens, and fridge cabs should be yellow or white?

Mulehouse I dont think that split is so easy bc there are side panels etc
The pantry can't be 2 colors I think. That would look really choppy.

Msrose- I think if the fridge cab is white the other tall pieces have to be white. Unless just the pantry is yellow?

o

My walls are Barley and my kitchen trim/cabinets are Windham Cream. Hope that helps.

o

I agree with angela and some of the others - tall cabs all white, white crown. The first pic with yellow uppers gets a bit checkerboard-ish and busy it seems to me. Also, the tall cabs all white help tie in the white cabs on the island for better visual flow. You will have enough going on in the top with your yellow accents. Just my .02...

o

The tall cabs are done in panels so I feel splitting he colors would work fine. That is what I'd do, but of course it's not my kitchen.

o

I agree that the white uppers and white tall cabinets with white trim seems to work better. Your design is beautiful and I really look forward to seeing your finished kitchen.

o

My mind always reads tall cabinets as uppers if that makes sense - so I'd keep the tall cabinets in mascarpone. And that's not just because it's my go to trim color, I swear.

o

all light around fridge area and broom closet.down at the wall oven location near the back door I probably would have done some dark stained alder on those cab doors to tie in with your beautiful island top because of the full glass on the back entry door-you will have a little special area of natural light there and some wood grain on those cabs would have be really special and set off your other yellows and whites even more. So-the cabs are ordered-all paint grade,right? I might take the same yellow formula but get a batch of paint that's 25-30%less intensity to the color for the doors to the right of ovens [or more intensity if you are brave like that]-just to tweak it a little and that's a no hassle thing to do-I've done it in several areas and it's astounding the effect it can make visually in a really subtle way. Your kitchen is going to be extra special.

o

I can't wait to see this finished kitchen. It looks beautiful. I like the tall cabinets in white with white crown. And I love all the accessories you show. Can you give me a name or source for your bird fabric?

o

here are a couple pics from Houzz though I couldn't find any with yellow lowers--you must be a visionary :) . First the tall cabs the same color as the lowers:
Photobucket

Photobucket

now the same color as the uppers:
Photobucket

Like most of the others here, seems to me that using the white uppers color adds to the "light and airy" that you mentioned. I think if the tall cabs were on the same sides at the ends, they could nicely act as a frame for the cabs in between. Since they're on opposite walls and opposite ends, seems like they'd seem more unbalanced in yellow than in white.

hth

o

OK, I'm at mom's while floors are being finished for a few days so I can't color in a new picture and scan here.

Anyway here is the FINAL layout of kitchen again. The pantry cabs vary than the one I colored in at top. The pantry splits better I think for coloring in.

kitchen3d

I think the fridge and broom closet should be white.

The other side is a little harder but what about if drawer below ovens and the tall pullout pantries which are even with the ovens are yellow? Then make the cabs above the ovens and above the 2 pullout pantries white?
The side panel near ovens would be white (but what happens to it at bottom? It must show a bit or can the custom cab guy make the part that touches below counter yellow and above that white???)

Same with end panel by doorway. I think that is all one piece. He doesn't add on separate pieces of wood. I remember him saying it is all one piece-- part of the cabinetry-- not just end panels stuck on- if I'm correct.

ughhh... why is this hard?

baking917

o

thanks for some great thoughts : )

Just wanted to tell you the cabinet maker matches paint and sprays cabs with a catalyzed varnish and then a top clear satin coat... so no actual painting is involved...

o

Well, I actually like your first pic just a bit better--the one with more yellow, yellow on the tall cabs. It's hard to say exactly why, but one thing is that in a kitchen with a bold cab color, I like to see a lot of it rather than a tentative version of it. We see lots of kitchens with safe perimeter cabs and a colorful island, which is nice, but I have a desire to see more color on the perimeter cabs in general. It has a kind of confidence to it rather than a subtlety. With the few white uppers, the uppers take on more of a furniture feel. To me anyway. $0.02.

o

PS I am so excited to see your finished kitchen.

o

Fishies - hang in there!
Looking at these pictures,I vote for the tall cabs to be all white also. First choice!
I don't like splitting the cabs at all - 3rd choice
Second choice - stay with the yellow but keep the crown all white

Exciting!!!

o

Love the 2nd pic with the taller being white...but go with your gut as the kitchen is spectacular.

may I ask what your wall paint is? It looks like the elusive color I've been searching for.

o

I definitely like picture #2 better. Having the tall parts of the tall uppers painted yellow looks out of sync with the rest of the yellow on the lowers. I think your idea of bringing yellow up into the room with accessories is the way to go.

I cannot, cannot wait to see this finished. I have loved watching this kitchen come together and remember when you first started posting your ideas and thoughts.

o

Definitely like the 2nd picture as well. Tall cabs - all white. Love it!

o

I can't believe I'm on the other side. [LOL]
I think I'd love the taller cabs in yellow.
Your colors are so soft, I don't think it would create an eye "bump" at all. The white trim with the other cabinets would just cause it to look like more of the wall.

Plus, I love the color so much I would want it featured more. In a smooth way.

I have serious, finished kitchen envy.

o

Christine- ha!

When I asked in July the majority said to bring the yellow up but this time it is in the other direction.
I'll be glad to be done with this : )

o

I love the taller cabinets in yellow as well --
perhaps because that is the mental image of your new kitchen
that I've been working with for the past several months.

o

I'm totally on the other side ... I think white uppers makes it looks as though the yellow is being apologized for. If you're not sure of the yellow, I think it's better to go all white. To me, the yellow lowers broken up by white tall cabs in between looks disjointed.

Part of why the first pic with yellow tall cabs looks disjointed is because it IS disjointed. The tall cabs you show have yellow fronts with white side gables and white crown which is goofy looking IMHO. I would commit to the yellow with yellow gables and crown. But failing that, I would keep all the cabs white rather than break it up with just the two short disjointed runs of yellow bases.

o

Taggie- in the first picture in op the side by ovens was supposed to be yellow. The side by fridge which u can't see would also be yellow.

The crown was something I didn't think of until this week until the cab guy asked me. Everyone seems to have their own thoughts on that as well. Lol

Thanks for your post. I think much of this is bc I always get nervous once I know a decision is final and i just want to do the right thing with all the planning that has been done.

I love my yellow so that's not an issue and when I look at pics of kitchens with ALL yellow I love them too. So I guess I should just go for it but I do want the space to be open airy and easy on the eyes.

Maybe I'm just scared of others entering my kitchen and thinking "What the hell was she thinking?". We are on an area of WHITE kitchens Those working on our kitchen have commented it's refreshing to see something different.

o

I like the tall cabinets in yellow. Having them in white almost makes the yellow ones look like an afterthought. Or like you are doing a white kitchen with "a pop of color."

o

I would decide first if the crown molding is part of the cabinets or, as is more traditional, part of the wall/ceiling intersection.

If part of the cabs then I think it should match the adjacent body of the cab unless you were deliberating using a different contrast color as an accent. In that case I think it would make more logical (i.e.e coherent) design sense to use the accent color consistently across all the upper cabinent tops. I think it looks weird to have the white-painted crown on the yellow cabs.

However, if you are using the crown along the entire, or almost entire, wall/ceiling intersection including parts without any nearby cab tops then you could paint it all white (or any other color(s).

Crown molding was typically not historically used in service rooms, because it was a more expensive treatment reserved for public rooms. In households where the extra expense was possible, there was likely to be paid help in the kitchen.

However, on case pieces, there was more often some trim along the top for decorative or construction reasons. For utility case pieces that might be used in kitchens it wouldn't have been bold or ornate enough to be designated as "crown molding", but it might have been there in some fashion nonetheless. But almost invariably it would have matched the main material or color of the body of the case piece since it was trim for it and not the larger room.

In looking at your plan I prefer having only the solely-lower cabs painted yellow (unless you were planning on painting all of them yellow, which I would also like). The taller cabs create the problem of the crown-molding, so if you want them to be yellow, I think their CM must be painted yellow to match.

Donaleen's Barley walls make me finally understand how yellow that color can be. You inspiration pic and the Barley door front you have posted have always seemed to not match, at least as displayed on my monitor. But after seeing the warm yellow Barley on Donaleen's pretty walls - I think your yellow choice is fine.

hth

L.

o

Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! May I ask you to share the names of your wall paint? I really like them!

o

Do either of these pictures help?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or, what if the tall sections of cabinet that are yellow didn't run all the way to the ceiling.
The wall cabinets that are white could run all the way to the ceiling and end in a white crown.
That white crown could run all the way around the room.
That way if the tall yellow cabinets had a yellow crown (their crown must be yellow) the white crown at the ceiling would be above them.
This might create a busy double crown effect. But it might be one solution.
I'll try to find a picture -- I know I've seen this effect.
This picture comes somewhat close to what I am trying to describe:

Photobucket

o

liriodendrum- No, I'm not adding another accent color. Just the yellow and white. SO, are you saying to use yellow crown where the yellow uppers would be and everywhere else white? ALL of the kitchen and dining area will have the same crown moulding. I know it will be white over the white cabs and the empty areas without cabinets.
I think you were also saying you like the tall cabinets to be white, correct?

Petunia- As mentioned above somewhere the kitchen walls are OC-8 Elephant Tusk and the wall is Woodlawn Blue- a BM historical color.

o

I would not bring the yellow up on the taller cabinets. I like the first picture much better with only the lowers coloured yellow. What about your island? Did you think about doing the island yellow? that could bring in the yellow more and leave the taller ones white so you could have the crown all white.

o

francoise- thanks for those pics! I just saw them and they are beautiful. To me, I think it shows the yellow tall cabs (if I do them) should have yellow crown. Imagining those pics with white crown just doesn't seem right. It takes away the beauty of the whole thing by chopping off the crown from the upper cabinetry. I don't think I'd like to do the double moulding thing but thanks for that thought!

sadrmma- A yellow island has been brought up in the past but I really like the look of the walnut on white and I think doing yellow island really doesn't solve the issue of bringing any yellow "up".

o

Nope, I was saying that you should decide whether the crown is trim to the room or the "furniture", aka cabs.

If the CM is trim to the room then the yellow cabs must have a different crown on them not just a section of it painted yellow abutting a section of the same profile that is white.

IOW, change (lower) the height of the yellow cabs so they exist below the level of the CM and therefor can be painted a different color from the wall/ceiling trim (which could be white if the upper-cab white is the same as the other trim in the room. What doesn't work, at leasat to my eye, is confusing whether the CM is a part of the cabs or whther it is part of the room's trim.

However - and this is less desirable from what I see of your plan, if you want to have tall, yellow cabs around some of the bulkier things then they should not be part of the CM runs that extend around the room.

So, no, white trim on yellow boxes; nor any yellow sections of the room's CM attached to both the wall and cabs.

The bottom picture that Francoise47 posted above illustrates what I mean.

Frankly I would solve the problem by having the taller cabs white rather yellow. That way you side step the whole "is the crown detail on the box or the wall" issue. That's the KISS solution, and I find simple generally works better in most cases. Having the lower cabs yellow sort of sets them off in an attractive way, and goes pleasantly down the unfitted kitchen pathway without some of the unfitted kitch's drawbacks.

But, I am a yellow fiend so I would be painting all the cabs (upper and lower) yellow, I think. And their CM, too if I had one that was scaled for it.

HTH

L>

o

OK I'm changing my mind. I think you should do your talls in the yellow. Looking at the recent pics posted by francoise47 made me go back and look at your pics. What I realized is that the yellow in your photoshopped pics is much more of a screaming yellow than your cabinet colour. If you look at the two of them together you can see that your chosen cabinet colour has the same strength as the white. Your photoshopped pics look much more jarring than what is going to happen in real life. Will the side panel of your pantry also be yellow.

I'm just not sure about the crown. How high are your ceilings? what colour will the ceilings be? If you have 8' ceilings and the ceilings are going to be close to the same colour as the white cabinets I might go with the white crowns. It will help to give the allusion of more height by allowing the cabinets to disappear into the ceiling especially as some of them have glass fronts.. The yellow might give the appearance of the cabinets being squat.

o

Fishies, I am having the same trouble in planning a two-tone kitchen too. The crown colors are so tricky!
How about doing the tall cab with fridge in yellow with yellow crowns? then the tall cabs with double ovens do white with white crowns? that way, the crowns can be continuous in color going across that wall.

o

With the yellowy undertone of the wall color, if the tall cabs are yellow also it might seem a little overwhelming, but I feel like all white crown in either case would look best.

Most anticipated kitchen reveal of the year, I think. lol

o

A few more visuals for your consideration.

I couldn't easily find one of yellow on white, but here is a visual from houzz of chocolate on white, the different crowns run together at the joint and it makes the cabs look more finished IMO than if the crown was a separate color from the cabs.

Note also that the room crown is a brighter white than the creamier cabinet crown, but it all looks of a piece because the room crown matches the door trim and the cabinet crown matches their cabinets.

And here are a couple pics of ours where the yellow runs into chocolate ... Maybe you can try to image the left cabs being white. I do think keeping the crowns as part of the cabs if definitely the way to go, and that the yellow and white would look fabulous against each other.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

And I thnk blfenton has an excellent point re. the bright canary yellow of your renderings. If it were more true to your paler and warmer yellow perhaps you would have seen more tall yellow lovers? :)

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. I'm sure your kitchen will be beautiful and am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

o

I like the all white on the uppers and tall pieces.... So very much looking forward to your kitchen, it will be just amazing. Please post pictures of the progress regularly!!

o

I love the yellow on the tall cabinets, as in your first drawing, and also the trim matching the cab color. I agree regarding the anticipation on your unveiling!

o

I think it would look great to have the same trim up around the entire room and have it match the cab to which it is topping. I don't see what the issue is with having the crown be white on white cans and yellow on the yellow cabs. Taggie's pictures look great, IMHO. I was at a home of one of the boys in my DS's class Friday night. They have lovely yellow inset cabs in their huge mudroom. The same trim went around the room. White trim on the white walls, and yellow trim on the yellow cabs. It looks amazingly appropriate. I would never have thought that this was possibly a faux pas.

I've gone back and forth today on which color I like for your tall cabs. Having them white doesn't look to me like you were afraid to commit to yellow. Plus, your yellow accents and deco items everywhere will be yellow. It'll be hard to miss. (In a good way.) I do think keeping them white will make the room feel airier and brighter. OTOH, I'm sure it would look equally as smashing, but maybe a bit busier, having them yellow.

o

liriodendron- thanks for your explanation. What I can tell you for sure is that we are doing the same crown moulding at same height around entire room and adjoining dining room.

blfenton- It's ok to change your mind. I do it regularly! lol YES- That yellow I colored in is a highlighter marker b/c that's all I had! It is nothing like the real color I'm using so I can see how it could throw people off. Yes, the side panel for the ovens/pantry and fridge would also be yellow.
My ceilings are 8 feet and the crown being used is Also in Mascarpone like the upper cabinets. The ceiling is just flat ceiling white.

taggie- Thanks SO much for those photos!! I love your kitchen and think the moulding matching the cabs is just perfect and is how I think I should go. What is your yellow color again???

Thanks to everyone! I'm using my mom's laptop which is driving me crazy b/c I'm not used to it so I didn't answer everyone, but thank you!

Regarding my paint. It's reading a bit more yellow than I hoped. I painted a large 16x16 swatch of it and I didn't see as much yellow but the other OC neutrals I tried all seemed too pink. I do like the color and keep in mind it will only be seen around the door to outside and the beam and a tiny strip here and there. Hopefully it will be okay b/c I didn't want more yellow. lol Anyway, it's just paint so I'll see how it goes.

o

breezy- Thanks! Your post was very helpful. I also appreciate that you actually thought about my kitchen today and how the tall cabs would work in both colors : )

o

2littlefishies, our color is hard to say since it's a stain and the thickness of application makes a big difference to how the color shows. It was custom mixed to match Hawthorne Yellow as our starting point, then the cabinet maker tried a few different applications until we hit on the one we liked in our lighting. So I guess that's a long winded way of saying I dont know what color they ended up being precisely.

I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE the Barley door sample you posted and I think it's perfect with your color scheme.

o

The 2nd pic. looks so much softer to me. I feel the tall peices should be white. Just the lowers yellow. You want the yellow to be an added touch, not takeover the room. when I did 2 colors the white was the majority and the gray wall was an accent. Let your yellow accessories standout like your fabrics and things. It will def. be beautiful as well the other way, just my thoughts.This is going to be one great kitchen either way! good luck1

o

2Fishes: Your yellow is so pretty esp with the marble and is that wood your flooring?

I guess my vote is for tall cabs to be white with the white island. To my eye it makes sense to bring some white down to the floor rather than just have a white island all alone down there.

If the island could be stained wood then I'd go with tall cabs yellow.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. No matter which way you go, it'll be beautiful!

o

Michelle thanks !

Deedles- the wood sample is the walnut Island top for the white island.

***Everyone--- ok, under the beam that separates the room there will be the 6" broom closet on the fridge side and on the baking side a 6" white upper cab without crown that opens out for cork/keys.
I think both sides that touch under beam should be white.
That would mean the fridge and broom cabs would both have to be white for continuity. (that takes care of one tall cab )

Now the other tall cabs are the ovens and pantry combo.
Notice at the floor of those there is a nice toe kick valance setting them apart from baking counter. Anyway maybe those should just be all yellow with yellow crown setting that spot apart from the rest of cabinetry like a piece of furniture. What do u think?

o

I think if it looks like a separate piece of furniture, it shouldn't look like any of the other cabinets. I know you are not doing a 3rd finish...but I am imagining it in a rich gray that ties into the counters, or a very warm stain. Remember kateskouros' kitchen with the stained piece?

Since that is not an option from what you wrote above, I think I'm still leaning towards doing that part white. Have you considered doing the island yellow along with just the perimeter low cabinets?

I'm just throwing out more ideas that come to my mind, and hopefully you can just discard them because you know, in your heart, what you really want to do.... I say, make a choice, and if it makes you fill "sicky", then quickly call the cabinetmaker and tell him you changed your mind.

I cannot wait to see this kitchen come to life. Your yellow is so soft and creamy, like butter.

o

bee- I see what you're saying. The 3rd color would be the walnut island top I suppose. At this point it will all be painted. I did already tell cab maker that talls would be yellow last week. I started to get nervous if that was the right decision hence this discussion again. I THINK I could change it if I let him know asap.

Now, my concern is also about the upper cabs under beam. If one side (baking side) is white touching under the beam shouldn't the other side touching under beam(broom closet) be the same? Also that broom closet faces the dining area where all the cabinetry is white so also thought the white might be better to work with than the yellow.

o

I would like to see the island in yellow also like bee said, it would look great with the walnut top, and would make sense with all other lowers being yellow.Still keeping the tall peices white though.

o

Getting in on this late, but I like the first picture adding the island in yellow also. Crown above yellow cabs yellow and white on white cabs. Crown done like Taggies Kitchen.

So excited to see your kitchen!

o

I think everything that is touching the ceiling (beam included) should be white. Just my opinion. And I think in your pics above with the tall area with the oven should be white too. I wouldn't split that area up and do some parts yellow and some parts white, treat as single unit.

o

Thanks- I really wanted the island white with the walnut. Also b/c in dining area the cabs are white with walnut tops so it ties that together nicely I think.

So, with the white island still have to decide on tall cabs but am especially wanting thoughts on the cabs under the beam (broom closet). Read 9/24 at 9:26 please.

o

Read 9/24 at 9:26 please. ??

o

Hi 2LittleFishies, it's easy to get concerned about straight-on renderings that no one will really notice in real life, believe me I did it myself and well recall the last-minite doubts you are having as I had them myself too in spades! But I think you might be making too much of the view from the dining area.

People won't stand at the back of that room by the window to make their impression ... they'll enter the room from either of the two sides and their eyes will draw through to your kitchen from the side and that's how the impression will be made. I did not fully appreciate the reality of this until my own kitchen was done and a couple of things I *agonized* over from the drawings were such total non-issues that i had to laugh. I think yours is in this category too. :)

I still favor the tall yellows, but that said I did go back and look carefully at your beam drawing and now see what you're saying. I think the fridge/broom white would look nice while keeping the oven tall yellow -- the beam should be white as well and matching the ceiling.

In order, these would be my choices:

1) Bases and talls yellow, uppers and island white. My favorite hands down.
2) Bases and tall oven yellow, tall fridge, uppers, and island white. Beam white.
3) Bases yellow, island yellow, talls and uppers white. I really think if both talls are white then you need the island yellow to stop the yellow sides from looking tentative and choppy.
4) All white cabs and bring the yellow in through accessories and fabrics.
5) Mostly white cabs with just the permiter bases in yellow. (I don't like this I just don't ... I really think it needs the island yellow to pull off the look. But I am a self confessed yellow lover so take that into account.)

Good luck littlefishies!!

o

Rtwilliams - I meant to read a few posts up where I asked about under beam.

o

Taggie - thanks so much for those wise words : )

Is your #1 still your first choice even if that means broom under beam would be yellow (being fridge cab would be yellow)?

o

Btw - the beam is painted a color bc there will be crown in mascarpone there.

o

So I fired up the photoshop to put off looking at the demo mess in my house today. Here are a few renditions of various ideas that have been presented for your kitchen. On one I changed the countertops to more closely relate to what you are planning to do.

Yellow Bottoms Only

o

Yellow Talls

o

White Broom Closet

o

White Fridge and broom closet with white (danby marble) counters and Brown (walnut island)

o

Looking at Corgimums renderings I like the third one the best, with the white island. It is pleasing and balanced to the eye.

As I went down the page without a doubt the third one was my favorite at first look. I usually agonize over things and go with my first choice. I don't know what your first instinct to do was but you might want to rethink your original yellow placement just to do a gut check. : )

o

Wow those renderings are great. I still like the all yellow, first one best for myself. I would do that in a heartbeat.

But I also love the 3rd one (imagine with white override cabs) and for you it seems like the better choice, gives you a great compromise of really showcasing the yellow but not toooooo much yellow if you know what I mean. ;)

I think you would be happiest with number 3.

o

That was supposed to say number 3 with white over-fridge cabs ... darn iPad autocorrect....

o

Geez, trying to post too fast and rush out the door. I mean I like the 2nd one best, all yellow uppers and talls, for me. But for you I like the LAST one, which is 4th not 3rd .... If all white over fridge cabs, but keep the oven talls yellow.

o

are these last pics a summary of your options now?[this thread is getting long]-Probably not in the majority but I like the first-bottoms only yellow-it's very handsome and classic-and I don't think it looks like the yellow is getting minimized or doubted or anything like that...it's just balanced, as you have barley walls-is that right-and bluish walls elsewhere-is that right?

o

taggie's pick for you:

o

Hi Fishies! I'm late to this discussion, but I vote for yellow perimeter bottoms and the rest white. I think it looks balanced and not that the yellow has been short-changed. Yellow can get very aggressive in certain lights and it will make itself known regardless. I think the yellow light(s) and accessories will represent the yellow element very well. It will also eliminate the issue of what color to do your crowns. I think you said you have an 8-ft. ceiling, so white on top, blending into the light ceiling, will help give you more airiness and height.

o

Wow, Corgimum! You're awesome!

After seeing those, I stick by my gut which is all white with yellow lowers. Corgimum's first rendering. Yep. 8' ceilings. Brighter. Less oppressive.

The one thing to keep in mind even with those lovely renderings so graciously provided by Corgimum is that there will be much more yellow spread all over the room, with your fabric, fixture, and accessories. With all that extra yellow, much of it up high in the space, I think all talls white is the winner.

o

Corgimum--Thanks so much!!! You are the best : ) That is much better than what I could do!

I have to study these, but I do like either the first one with white on the uppers and tall OR taggie's pick which is the plan I was thinking of this morning... I know #3 looks good here but there is a white upper cab to the left of the fridge that would then make the uppers white/yellow/white and I don't think that would be pleasing.

herbflavor- the cabs are barley and the walls OC-8 Elephant Tusk. The dining area and living room have a wall of Woodlawn Blue.

linelle and breezy- thanks! In the picture it seems it could use more yellow but maybe with the accessories that will definitely balance that out...

If I do taggie's favorite which is my other choice, do you think it looks unbalanced?

o

Yes. If what Corgimum posted at 11:17 is Taggie's choice, IMVHO it looks unbalanced with that heavy, large oven cab yellow without any other tall cab yellow. It could look fine IRL given the angle from which viewing will take place.

o

So here is breezy's with yellow walls(which I couldn't get right so it is the same as the yellow cabinet color) and the light (I think you planned to change the fabric?) and a little fabric on the window.

I like this plan because of the yellow wall behind the tall oven uppers. The yellow sets off the cabinets so they don't blend into the wall.

o

Fishes- I sent you an email.

o

I'm getting confused but still sticking with white island/white talls and uppers, yellow lowers. Esp. now that the pic with the fabrics is posted. Boom. Love the fabrics up high with the white. C.U.T.E.

o

Boy, this forum is amazing. Corgimum, that's such a wonderfully helpful thing to do.
I still like the all talls yellow (1st pic) the best, and with yellow talls and the piece under the beam white following. The yellow is so soft and warm, the white is, well, just white (and I love Mascarpone, it's on all my trim).
This will be one beautiful kitchen.

o

I like the second picture in your first post where only lowers are yellow. I think the look is easier on the eye. The yellow uppers will compete with the stainless fridge and then what will you do for the crown? Just MHO. It is so gorgeous! When are the cabinets due to be installed?

o

Hey All-
I just wanted to post a picture of the fridge wall so you can see that upper white cabinet to the left of the fridge that can't be seen in the kitchen view.
I think the broom closet has to be whatever the fridge is (unlike picture 3 of corgimum's) or else we will have white/yellow/white.
Also just so you can see that wall from straight on... no matter what the window valance will have white cabs on either side.
Thanks so much. I can't imagine my kitchen without GardenWeb.
wall1

o

All white with yellow lowers is still my favorite by far for the same reasons herbflavor, linelle, breezy, deedles, and pball have given.

corgimum's last picture shows up all black for me.

How much longer before we can see the real life pictures of them installed ?!?!

o

oh, wow, thanks to Corgimom's renderings, after seeing all of the options and realizing that your walls are also going to be yellow, I would vote for #1 like Breezygirl.
If you were to paint your walls white, I would vote for Taggie's choice.
it will be lovely regardless though!
Here are some houzz pics i found that might give you some more ideas on how your kitchen might look going with either choice. HTH!
I am excited to see your results!

o

Thanks! Of those I like the 3rd : )

I'm laughing bc my goal was to have walls that are NOT yellow and chose oc-8 elephant tusk which didn't look yellow on a large swatch I painted however does look barely yellow in my real life pics of kitchen above.
What do u think?

o

fishies, I know what you mean! I have just bought probably 30 samples from BM to find a creamy white for my house. a bunch looked yellow, some ended up looking pink, some looked orangey, some were too bright, etc.. i think i also tried the elephant tusk but it read as mustardy yellow in my house. lol!

o

Fishies, when my kitchen was finally done, it was way starker than I'd expected. Besides my red oak floor it was incredibly white and dark gray. It was what I wanted, but the reality was sobering. It was the end of February and I bought a bunch of daffodils at Trader Joe's and stuck them in a jar and put it on the counter. Suddenly I realized I was gonna be okay. That small bunch of yellow was like the sun breaking through on an overcast day. It's amazing what a small pop of color can do. I would imagine that your pendant, fabric and shelf items are going to inject plenty of yellow into the upper space.

o

Well, is it easier to paint yellow over white, or white over yellow, lol.

Whatever you do, it is changable. Understand that it's preferable not to have to do that....

You are going to have such a charming kitchen!

o

Another vote here for yellow on the lower cabinets only, with whites on the tall ones and uppers. The yellow will be more understated on the cabinets themselves, but still with the accents on the upper portion of the space...the overall combination will be powerful enough. Adding further yellow to the higher cabinets would not fit my eye as well, potentially too much clash with the pendants/window treatment/dishes as accents.

But as others said, this kitchen is without a doubt going to be a showstopper! I'm doing a pretty standard white kitchen, which is what I wanted. But ideas like this already have me thinking of how I would "jazz" up a future design and branch out my tastes somewhat.

o

Well I have a couple more days to decide. I SO wish I could see both ways in person! Lol
Decorator says I have to do what I want and not to worry what everyone else thinks. The fact that there are so many opinions on this subject makes me think there isn't a right or wrong here?

o

Correct. No right or wrong. Simply what you (well, and us since you asked ;) ) think looks best.

o

Looking at all of these posts, it makes me sort of glad that I made all my kitchen design decisions before I found this forum. A zillion opinions on what are ultimately highly personal aesthetic choices can be paralyzing.

I'm sure whatever course you choose your kitchen will be lovely!

o

Fishies,

Since you started posting.. you have talked about the yellow kitchen.. I infact think of your kitchen as the OTYK.. One true yellow kitchen. You have enough of the full height cabinetry that if you make them white, you will have a white kitchen with some yellow accents.. I would suggest to be brave and go for yellow. If you notice all the pictures with 2 colors of crown molding, they work because the depth of the cabinet changes in those places.. So I think it will work for you as well as your full height cabinets are different depths than regular uppers and there is already a transition in the molding. Again like sas95 says.. there are a zillion opinions but it is not a democracy.. it is your kitchen so go with your gut..

o

sas95- I know what you're saying. GW is amazing but can make it hard to make a decision (unless everyone agrees with each other). I guess ultimately we know what we want and are often looking for the answers we want to hear! Like Bee said, you make a decision and if it makes you feel "sicky" change it : )

lalitha- THANK YOU.

Just wanted to post pics corgimum did for me with the stainless fridge.

White Tall Cabs: (wall is yellow though which makes it look better IMO. IRL it isn't really as yellow)

Tall Yellow Ovens/Pantry:
Image 2

Tall Cabinets Yellow:
Image 1

o

OK- I don't know why the first and last are black?

Thanks again everyone : )

Cabinets go in in a couple of weeks hopefully! Here are our floors that got done this weekend

IMG_1259

IMG_1258

IMG_1253

o

Beautiful Floors, and your kitchen is going to be spectacular also.
Love the yellow.

o

I can't wait to see your kitchen come to life!

o

Here is the oven/pantry wall and where the yellow would end at bottom and white begin.... (or I may continue the yellow for ovens/pantry)

I am definitely doing white around fridge as it works well with dining room and just having the white in between the two windows.. The problem is that then if I also do white ovens/pantry there isn't really enough yellow I think with the white island. With a yellow island (which I don't want to do) I think the 2 tall white uppers would work better. Looking around my space, it seems the base yellows are not a huge amount especially since the island will block a lot of them from many views.

I really think leaving the ovens/pantry yellow will ground the color in the room visually and being that in reality that tall ovens/pantry and the fridge talls are not on the same wall or same sight line it would work fine should I decide to do that.

On the baking wall (below) the yellow lowers are about 7 feet and the pantry/ovens are 5 feet.

The white cabinet is where the pantry/ovens would begin if I did white.

IMG_1262

I know at this point I just have to decide but figured since I started this thread this photo might help : )

o

I think the white fridge/yellow oven stack will be fine. A white oven area would look too chopped up.

What is your blue? I can't believe we're both doing yellow and aqua. I'm not sure I'm going with the Barley anymore, because on all cabs (uppers and lowers) I think it might get too intense in direct contrast with aqua. Looks good in your space, though.

I can't believe how far you've come so quickly! How long ago was demo?

o

I agree with marcolo -- white fridge, yellow oven stack. And you will have a gorgeous yellow kitchen.

o

Can you do a mock up of all yellow cabinets...with white island? Then maybe the same thing...with the white baking area (but yellow oven cabinets)?

While I think all white cabinets with yellow walls is also pretty (your drawings look so crisp with all white) I know you really love the yellow cabinets...and they're so cheerful! :)

o

marcolo- Thanks! At first I thought you wrote the yellow oven stack would be too chopped up but now I'm glad to see you said the white fridge stack and yellow oven/pantry stack would be fine. Right? (i'm delirious)

I just want to see enough yellow (after all those months of choosing one!!) without doing too much.

The blue is Woodlawn Blue (HC-something). I see it used a lot and love it and it's great b/c if you remember we had brown/aqua in our living room so now the new area will blend well with it. I agree with you about having the aqua with the Barley. We don't have many walls that will not have cabinetry on them but I REALLY didn't want any of the barley cabs to be right up against the Woodlawn Blue as I'm scared of the easter egg look. That's why I decided to just use it on the banquette wall (which is mostly covered in cabs and bench) and then it continues on same wall in LR around fireplace. Hoping it won't be too busy but at least with paint on a wall you can change it!

Demo started the first week of July. Supposed to be done around October 25th but the cabs are holding us up so it will probably be a bit after that.

taggie- thanks!

lavender- Do you mean all yellow meaning the uppers too? Corgimum posted some great Photoshop ones above but not all yellow-- just all yellow on the tall cabs with yellow bases.

(ps- we're definitely doing yellow base cabs... it was the tall fridge and oven cabs that were in question)...

o

PS- Our paint is only one coat so far...

Also, Corgimum did new photos for me with the Stainless fridge but they are coming up black when I post them. I don't know why. on photobucket they look fine.

o

FRIDGE: White
OVEN STACK: Yellow
PANTRY BY OVEN: Yellow

Is that clear enough? ;-)

I know from delirious, believe me.

My color consultant (LOL, can't believe I just wrote that) offered us some greener aquas and that helps a lot with the yellow cabs. Yours will be fine.

o

Yes! Thanks!

BTW- my kitchen/dr paint color is OC-8 elephant tusk which I did not think was yellow... even after painting it on a piece of poster board... However, now with one coat in a large space it is reading yellow! Hoping after the 2nd coat it will be a little less yellow like my poster board is. Guess I'm just attracted to those colors after staring at them for so long. Anyway, maybe that will be good with the white uppers. It also looks less yellow next to Barley being there is such a contrast.

Yes, I like greener aquas too but needed to go more bluish with the bird fabric. My GC's decorator liked Yarmouth Blue but I thought it was too blue and am glad I did this one.

o

You obviously really want the oven cabinet yellow. I think it's throwing you off that so many of us have voted white. My vote is go ahead and have it painted yellow. You can always repaint it white if you don't end up liking it yellow.

o

Fishies- I know you like the yellow base cabinets...I was wondering what it would look like with yellow uppers.

I don't understand the yellow oven/pantry, but the white fridge/broom closet. I'm sure you've explained it, but I came in late and must have missed it.

Just going from the last 'mock up', I think I'd try the oven/pantry in white and the back wall of the uppers, in yellow. So, you'd see yellow in the glass cabinets and the open shelves. Maybe that would tie it all together a bit more...especially with the white island.

o

Lavender- Just want to make sure I understand you...

Baking wall- yellow lowers and white uppers and then oven/pantry talls in white

Hood Wall- All Yellow (problem is that the corner upper cab is connected to cab on sink wall. Also crown color change b/c it doesn't "step out" anywhere to break it up)

Sink Wall- ? Yellow Lowers, White Uppers, and White Tall Fridge Cabinet

o

It seems to me, the fridge/broom closet and oven/pantry should match. If you like white, then white looks great...if you like yellow, then I'd have them both yellow.

For all other areas, yellow lowers and white uppers...but I'd paint the back of upper cabinets yellow.

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

Honestly, the white is nice (very crisp) but I like the yellow. The first looks like a white kitchen with yellow accents, but the second is a yellow kitchen with white accents. Just my two cents :)

o

Thanks lavender : )

Yes, I want more yellow than just the bases but wasn't sure if having both tall pieces yellow (pantry/ovens on left and Fridge/Broom Closet on right) was too much and gives me two different colors touching that ceiling beam between kitchen and DR. I do think the white fridge cab works well for that reason and ALSO b/c then between the kitchen and DR window will just be white and flow into the DR's white cabinetry instead of being broken up with window/white/yellow fridge/wall/ window/white.

However, if both tall pieces are white there's not much yellow going on accept as mentioned in OP the lights, yellow bowls in open & glass shelving and windows treatments will bring up some yellow!

I think your rendition of painting the glass and open cabs yellow is nice but I wanted to put yellow items on the shelving so I liked the white behind it. (I know- I'm a pain in the neck- lol)
Plus, the cabs are now all one cabinet (one door- not two) so when you open the doors I'd prefer all white inside than 2 colors if that makes sense.

So, I feel like I'm left with all white tall pieces (fridge and ovens) or white fridge with yellow ovens.

o

What about the fridge yellow and the broom closet white? Then it would be white facing the dining area, but more yellow on the cabinets.

And...if you're having white in the glass cabinets, can you put yellow on the back of the open shelves? Also, I'd keep all the crown white...it just looks more cottage, IMHO :)

From Cottage house plans

o

The broom closet has to be the same color on both sides of it. With the fridge being stainless there's really not too much yellow so that's a plus if I should go that route.

Here's the drawing of that wall. I could do the whole broom closet (side and front) in white and the fridge yellow but the white upper, then yellow fridge surround, then back to white broom closet may be even more distracting.

wall1

*Here's corgimum's rendering of both of the tall pieces in yellow with stainless fridge (had to go to flickr to get it to come up correctly). I like this but then one side has white touching under beam and the other has yellow. I think THIS is more obvious than the two tall pieces being different colors. I really like this drawing but think it looks better on paper than IRL.

Image 1

*Here's both tall pieces in white. Note the back wall shows as same color as cabinets but that isn't the case.

*And here's the pantry/ovens Yellow and the fridge/broom in White:
I know in the picture it seems both talls should be the same but IRL I don't think it's quite the same view, etc. Also the pantry/ovens has a real presence (5' wide) and the fridge and broom are barely anything-- just the surround around fridge and a 6" closet.

Image 2

I guess not much left to say! I really like the fridge in white so It's either gotta be both tall pieces in white (in which case I'll need lots of yellow accents & maybe even paint the wall around door in Barley like the cabs???) OR Fridge White and Pantry/Ovens in yellow.

Thanks everyone. I am now at the point of ANNOYING MYSELF!!! : /
lol

o

So. You're right where you started. :)

Barley? When did Barley enter in? Last time I looked it was white and yellow.

Looks like you'll have to decide. Some of us on here like one way and some the other so we're no help, ultimately.

When do you have your deciding date? Good luck fishes!

o

deedles- ha! Cabs are being built so I have to confirm colors in the next few days. Barley IS my yellow. (That cab door I keep showing is BM Barley) BTW that door isn't the style I'm doing... just a door I had lying around : )

o

Here Fishes: I just saw this on Houzz and it made me think of your kitchen. Just think how cute it'll be whichever way you decide to go...

And yeah, you do seem to be making incredible time on this kitchen. It seems like just a few weeks ago that you posted your inspiration pic for the first time. I'm jealous that you are at the point of being able to agonize over ordering your cabs...

:)

o

I actually get emails from GW folks about how much they love LittleFishies. Seriously, you're down to debating whether your kitchen will be beautiful this way, or beautiful that way. Relax and enjoy. Believe me, everybody has minor regrets, but if you were making a terrible mistake, I'd tell you. You know that.

o

Okay LittleFishies, it is time to be the BigFishie now.

Be brave. Or not. But either way, just do what marcolo told you to do (*cough* yellow oven stack *cough*).

Just do it. You know you want to. :) And you will love it!

o

I love you guys! It's 6:30 am on a Saturday and I've been awake in bed since 4:30 thinking about the kitchen and mostly this issue. That's bc I'm the type who after completing something big finds the things I should have done differently and dwells on them instead of enjoying the zillions of things I did RIGHT!

I'm so relieved to read these posts. I feel much better.

As far as progress the GC and our PM are amazing. Everything has been done incredibly well thus far and work has been constant minus a week the steel sub made an error in his schedule and now we will have to wait a couple of weeks for cabs. The siding is being finished outside and the covered porch is complete. They are detail oriented and have been SO considerate of us living here. They are neat, clean up every day, there's a port-o-John outside and when the gc's guys eat lunch inside they are quiet and respectful. Most of the job there was a temp wall in our LR so we could have privacy and really not see anyone if we didn't want to.
Our PM has worked with me on everything and asks my preferences on even small things before doing them. If you remember this was the GC that was more expensive and does many of the high end homes in our area. We did work out a price that was close to the other 3 quotes I received.
They are working on a multi million dollar home (and several other jobs) along with mine and we have NEVER been made to feel we were any less important here in our little Cape. I am so glad we went with our gut and used this company. Even the woman who does pricing in the office has contacted me a few times along the way to see how things are going, if we need her to do anything, or just give me the opportunity to vent (which I didn't need). : ). Hoping this all continues as well as it has!

Thanks again : )

o

taggie- I love the peer pressure tactic! : )

o

Maybe you can do your painting in two parts...

Part 1) Paint everything you know you want yellow and everything you are sure you want white.

Part 2) Decide then what else should be yellow or white.

Color is so dependent on setting and light...

o

That would be great but the cabinet maker sprays them all off site and they all get installed after that. Thanks though!
I think I've decided : )

o

I may be reading into your 'gut,' because I think it agrees with what I like ;-)... But the one with the white/stainless fridge and yellow oven/pantry really speaks to me. I thought having both tall cabs in white somehow chopped up the kitchen and diminished how the yellow grounded the room.

And I didn't like them both trying to be matched in either color, because then they connected and took over the room. The oven cabinet looks somehow warmer and homier in color. It creates more of a natural-feeling unfittedness. The oven cab seemed too sterile and modern in the white, and as I said, the yellow bases flow better with it the same color.

I know my input is just an opinion, and on just a drawing to boot. It seems you know what you want in your gut, but are 2nd guessing and wanting some kind of sure encouragement. But it's your kitchen, and we'll all have our own preferences. Your choices prove your good eye.

I thought I grew past yellow ...used to love its sunny disposition in my bedroom as a teen, but it usually seems too baby shower to me now. So when I just started this thread, I thought "Too much yellow!" But as I read and saw more pics of your choices and how it's all coming together, I really love it all, and am excited to see it finished!! I think a lot of people want to use it and fight against it, at the same time, and you are just "all in." The layering of the yellows work like the white-on-white that's been popular recently, but with a braver twist. I think the 'mistake' with your wall color was a good one. ;-)

o

rhome- Thanks so much! I respect your opinion so that means a lot to me. I am so excited about this kitchen and yet being it's a bit different it can sometimes be a little scary. When I tell people yellow, I know they are thinking, "Really?". lol

I am hoping the choices I have made in both the shades of yellow as well as the other finishes will work as well as it does it my head! Everyone says, "do what you love. Who cares what others think?" but I think we all want others to love our kitchens as well--- even if it's not what they would have chosen for themselves : )

o

I totally get what you're saying about wanting others to think it's beautiful... but they will. I got some very dubious looks, and can only imagine the thoughts going through their heads, when I talked of 4 cabinet colors, 3 counter materials, and 3 backsplashes for my kitchen. ;-) But I'm glad I went with my vision and didn't listen to their doubts... or my fears. I'm sure not everyone that comes in would want it, but that's OK. What ultimately matters is that I'm happy in it everyday, and so is my family. You will have that, too. One thing you can see here is that although there are some varying opinions on details, everyone loves your plans and colors.

o

I love how you explained yourself, Rhome410.

o

taggie- I love the peer pressure tactic! : )

Hahahaha. And btw, you should do what rhome410 says. Come on, you know you want to. ;-)

o

I think I know what you decided. ;)

o

Fishies - Wow! Lots of comments on your colors. I remember going through the colors and asking questions about everything - and so many different answers from everyone.
Sometimes you have to go with your gut! Can't wait to see your beautiful kitchen. I am salivating just thinking about it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here