Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twosit_gw

Kraftmaid quality

twosit
13 years ago

After two weeks without a kitchen they started installing my cabinets yesterday. The first cabinet came in like this

left side {{!gwi}}

right side{{!gwi}}

right side {{!gwi}}

left side {{!gwi}}

What do I do? This is the corner cabinet that the whole kitchen is based around. You can not install the rest of the cabinets without this corner cabinet first. I do have a light rail and my contractor thinks he can make it look right. Should I approach Lowes/kraftmaid for some sort of credit? I am stunned at the quality of this cabinet--and afraid of what the rest will look like.

Comments (9)

• julieh1926
    13 years ago

Oh no! That does not look good. If your cabinet guy thinks that he can hide it with the light rail and that the rest of the cabinet will be flush, level, etc. even with this bottom issue, one part of me says to have him try to make do. However, the other part of me says that delaying installation by a bit might be worth it to get the cabinets you paid for! I don't know what I would do in your situation. I know, not very helpful, right?

I'm really sorry you got a bum cabinet. Hopefully the others will be ok. We just installed our Kraftmaid cabinets from HD a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't be more pleased. They are perfect (and in reality nicer and of higher quality than I was hoping!). We have one glide that isn't working, but other than that, the quality is superb.

So, hopefully this one cabinet of yours is an anomoly!

• roxy2007
    13 years ago

Hi,

sorry you are experiencing this....I also got Kraftmaid cabs from Lowes, I have to say their customer service was really good. They got one of my pieces wrong (wrong color), so I contacted my Lowes kitchen person and she called and had a new piece sent to me. When the new piece came...it was scratched....so I called and they sent another piece to me...this time it was good...both of the pieces were received within a week of initial contact.

I would def contact lowes or kraftmaid directly and have them send you a new or at least let them know of the issues you're having....but def inspect the rest of your cabs to see anymore are this way....if so...I would prob have them replace.....but that's me... good luck!!

• twosit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have contacted my salesperson from Lowes and she is contacting her Kraftmaid rep. My Lowes salesperson has been wonderful all along. I have to say that I am super disappointed with the quality of Kraftmaid.
    The idea of putting the whole project on hold while I wait for replacement cabinets is really frustrating. My contractor is frustrated beyond belief--time is money for him.
    Her is a picture of the valance that came in a different width than the cabinet {{!gwi}}
    and the bar cabinet that came in without the baseboard {{!gwi}}

• limom_2bts
    13 years ago

I too am sorry that you had this problem. My DD had her Kraftmaid installed a few weeks ago with no issues...I think overall Kraftmaid (usually) provides a quality product.
    BTW, what is the style and color of your cabinets? They look really nice! It's almost MY turn!!

• twosit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Lowes salesperson spoke with the Kraftmaid rep and forwarded him the pictures. The Kraftmaid rep is very concerned and asked to come see the cabinets. They are coming over on Friday morning. I have an excellent contractor and he planed the cabinet above the valance to make it work. We had to make the decision to either put things on hold and wait 2-3 weeks for the replacement cabinets. The horrible corner cabinet is still up--he says he can make it look right and we will never know there was a problem. I am just frustrated because I paid a lot of money for the cabinets--with lots of upgrades--and I feel a little ripped off.
    My appliance garage cabinet just arrived today--and I have not managed to get that out of the box yet. Keep your fingers crossed about that one--although that won't hold the whole project up.
    My cabinet style is Kensington and the color is cherry chocolate.

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

Kraftmaid, will take care of you. Kraftmaid, is a good co. The volume they do there is bound to be mistakes.Also let the Lowes, Manager, know that you, are not happy after spending so much. They should give you, a discount for your trouble.

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

We got the Kensington too, but in autumn blush. We had a few pieces that were not right and we talked to our KD at Lowes and he took care of it. Kraftmaid had the pieces that were part of the kitchen ready pretty quickly. I believe they know you are in the middle of doing your kitchen and want to make sure you get things quicker than the initial order took.

Our items did have a lot of glue running here and there and some minor things. There were however a couple of bigger items like crushed corners. Much is due to packaging. I honestly think if they spent more on their packaging they would save more in the long run by not having pieces get damaged.

Hope it all works out for you. They do look nice, can't wait to get ours installed.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry you're having problems. My neighbor got Kraftmaid cabs a year ago. They're beautiful and when I was over there last weekend she said she's been very happy with them. I'm sure they'll take care of the problems for you. Good luck and please let us know what happens!

• twosit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh goodness--i moved the pictures into a Kraftmaid album and they all disappeared. I hate that when that happens!
    Almost all of the faces on the cabinets were applied in an uneven manner. The crown and under cabinet light molding did not sit right because of it. The sides of many of the cabinets had to be planed--voiding the warranty.
    The rep and the salesperson came out and looked at the cabinets. By the time they came out my contractor had "fixed" many of the problems. It took him an extra couple days of labor to do this. They told me that they had offered to replace the cabinets and that is the best they can do. Holding up the entire kitchen project ...after my existing kitchen had been torn out, was just not an option for me. They ordered some extra molding and did not charge me.
    While I am happy with the individuals involved--I am disppointed in the quality of kraftmaid and would not order again.
    But...my kitchen is looking awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraftmaid quality issues