Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smbh_gw

How do you store your knives? Knife drawer suggestions please?

smbh
13 years ago

Once my reno is complete, I'm hoping to get rid of the knife block I had on my counter. Do you have a knife drawer? If you use an organizer (and like it) where did you get it? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• amberley
    13 years ago

I combined my regular silverware with my good knives in one drawer. This was easy to do as I have IKEA drawers which allow for whatever you want! I bought a Wusthof in drawer knife block which have been thrilled with (so glad to get rid of the one the counter one). I bought it on Amazon. There is also a modular version that is a bit more adjustable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wusthof in drawer knife block

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I have some very nice knives. I used to keep them in a drawer with just knives with knife guards on them. And then, I decided to get an in-drawer knife block thingy. I love being able to open the drawer and see the knives all lined up ready to be chosen for the task at hand.

I must admit it is a big improvement in my life!

Don't care for knife blocks on the counter. Just my opinion.

• alwayssunshine
    13 years ago

This is the one we bought!

I have a ton of knives and this fits (almost) all of them! It is soooo nice to just open the drawer and choose! Good luck in your search!

Here is a link that might be useful: Expand-A-Drawer Knife Organizer

• plllog
    13 years ago

I'm exactly opposite to Beekeeper's wife. I don't like the in drawer knife block. I think it dulls them, too. Instead I use Edge Guards on all my knives, which are great. I have large stacked utensil holders with the most used knives on top, and the lesser ones underneath. I find it easier to find the knife I want if I can see it, rather than just look at the handles. The oversized knives are next to the utensil holders, on top of the old block. :)

• zerotiger
    13 years ago

I think this is a very creative and practical way to store knives. Everything is within easy reach, but out of the way.
    See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I combined my regular silverware with my good knives in one drawer. This was easy to do as I have IKEA drawers which allow for whatever you want! I bought a Wusthof in drawer knife block which have been thrilled with (so glad to get rid of the one the counter one). I bought it on Amazon. There is also a modular version that is a bit more adjustable.

Ditto everything Amberley said. It's like we have the exact same drawer! ;^) Wait--mine is a 30"; what size is yours? :^p

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    13 years ago

I think there are some threads on this.

• smbh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all very much!

• gwentm
    13 years ago

John, I live in Florida where mold is an issue so I wouldn't put wet knives in a wood block that is in a closed drawer where air circulation is more limited than on the counter. Perhaps where you live that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I have a magnetic strip on the side of my fridge panel.

• kaib
    13 years ago

What Sabjimata said. I have two magnetic strips right at hand on the oven panel. Grab and use, rinse clean, wipe, turn around and stick on the wall - all knife work done.

• gwentm
    13 years ago

I returned one in drawer knife block because my best knife didn't fit properly in it. Then I ordered the Culinary Institute block online and it fits all my knives perfectly.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Am going to have a long slit in countertop parallel with the backsplash wall.

• dyno
    13 years ago

rev-a-self wooden that is trimmable with a saw so it fits custom style. Has enough space at the front so I can still rock my $10 Chinatown cleaver. It's sweet.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH