Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

So now I'm afraid of committment (backsplash)

kksmama
10 years ago

Layout, configuration, cabinet construction, drawer depth and height, counters, paint, pulls, sinks, faucets, soap dispensers, g/ds, airswitches, drawer organization, appliances, hood design (!), light rail, door style, electrical outlets, pendants, corner radii, counter stools, edge profile, and lots of other decisions are made and mostly terrific thanks to GW.
Now I really want to make a backsplash decision. I love this mini mosaic and can't imagine my life apart from it; we started as friends and the attraction has deepened to the point we can contemplate permanent cohabitation. I had thought I'd fall for a large, more solid type but the heart wants what the heart wants. But will this stay resilient through thick and thin, for better and for worse? Can I be faithful and keep my backsplash only unto this one...or will my eye wander and make me wish I had some extra spice behind the rangetop? Will my friends and family approve and celebrate with us, or secretly whisper that it won't last, or that one of us has settled? Most importantly, if we use well-sealed white grout, will we have a harmonious, cohesive union that doesn't create unnecessary drama? Can we have texture and depth, without the conflict?
Is the commitment I should be afraid of this backsplash, or the kind that comes with a fashionable, extra long-armed white jacket that ties at the back?

Comments (48)

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Hahahahahah! Your love affair is dreamy! Love how you worded it!!!

I like what you have picked, but holding it up against the cardboard boxes or whatever that is makes it hard to see and visualize. Perhaps try again without that distraction?

And I have seen people make color copies of their intended love and tape those up all over the place. That might be helpful as well.

As what others may whisper behind your back--who cares! It is your kitchen :$

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Heidihausfrau. The cardboard is because I was so distracted by the brown paint, I needed a white wedding dress background. 2nd picture with flash, I will have u/c lights, dimmable, and hope they equally enhance the b/s and granite. The last picture is closest to how it looks IRL. How fabulous would it be if it is calm and peaceful by day, and a little glitzier at night?

• suska6184
    10 years ago

Cute, you should be a writer in your "real life"!

Sounds like you have been thinking about this particular backsplash for awhile and you continue to do so- that's a good sign that, yes, you most definitely will be happy with it for a very long time. It provides intense contrast to your lovely countertops which are the attention getters, so you definitely don't want a BS that competes. That BS would bring its own subtle classic appeal.
    I'm not getting why you are questioning your choice. Thinking of your writing style, let's compare this to actually choosing your living, breathing mate. Once the friendship grows into something deeper, you can't stop thinking of them...so you commit. Once that happens, you should focus on the wonderful choice you made, be confident in your decision and work to ensure it was the right one. As in life, if you continue to shop around after the commitment has been made, you most certainly will find something (or someone) you will pine for which can only lead to trouble!

Short answer, if you are satisfied that you have looked enough to know what your taste is and you keep coming back to this, go for it, enjoy it, move on to the next decision.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

I'm just posting mostly to say that I think your ability to commit is impressive. You've gotten this far! Decision after decision after decision! And, you didn't wimp out on those counters. They are great looking, btw.

Backsplash is tough and there are soooo many great tiles out there. However, you can enjoy them as eye candy while you enjoy your own at home. :)

For me, I think I'm going for the GW Queen of Commitmentphobia. So far, I've committed to a range and a DR light. lol

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Remember, this is all about appearances. This is one time when you can base your commitment on looks alone, and the hope that (s)he's easy to keep clean. This backsplash isn't going to stay out late or cheat on you, get drunk and insult your family and friends, or tell you not to have that extra piece of pie. And if you decide it isn't working out, backsplash replacement is a lot cheaper than divorce court.

• Peke
    10 years ago

And...it will never tell you "your ????? looks big!"

I have already landed the committmentphobia name. They had a "pool" going as to who would be last to choose their counter material. Everyone was voting for me to be last.

Kks,,check out my latest post on Sea Pearl needs backsplash.....I put some tiles you just might like.
    Peke

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I'm placing my bet. I think you'll have a long and happy life together.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Elope with this gem now! Ironically, "he" looks like "mother of pearl" and he looks pretty sexy up against that wall!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Can you see you, the counter and the backsplash as a threesome? That counter is so gorgeous I'm just not sure that the backsplash is bringing enough to the partnership to make it a viable one. I'm afraid that the two of them might wind up competing for your affections.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I say GO FOR IT!!! It's going to be AMAZING!!! Picking a grout is even more difficult... just saying...

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are so kind, thank you for the encouragement. I placed the order, glasstilestore.com is closed Thursday and Friday so getting my order in now means it will be in transit by then.
    Joanie, there is mother of pearl, and glass both frosted and clear, and marble - he's a complicated character! But the pieces are small and homogenous enough in color that I hope he can just sit there like a "strong and silent" type, at least when the lights aren't on.
    Peke, I love mop and think it is perfect for your sea pearl. In my mosaic the mop pieces are actually veneered onto something else to be as thick as the stone and glass. I think it is the combination of chunky strength and classical beauty that make me so sure this is the "one" for me - he holds his own with the granite but there is something about him that flows with the movement in the granite (better IRL than in pictures).
    All that assuming I have the right grout...aack! Teachertile, how could it be difficult? I just need a "white" that blends....oh dear....how am I going to figure THAT out?! Do we already need professional counseling?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I think you will make beautiful music together. I just love your gorgeous granite and I think the bs will be the perfect complement to it!!! I CAN'T wait to see it installed!

• Peke
    10 years ago

You know you also picked a young one, so you can train him!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Now that you've chosen; may you have many many happy years together!

• berardmr
    10 years ago

Oh, would you please share the name of your tile? It would be perfect for my bathroom. I looked on the glasstilestore website but couldn't find it. Thanks!!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is the paragon pearl lace on glasstilestore.com
    I think it is identical to yahly mother of pearl blend on buytile.com http://www.buytile.com/home.php?main_page=product_info&products_name=white%20blend&products_id=34501
    My total price was a few bucks higher with glasstilestore, but they shipped samples quickly and other GWers have been happy with their service.
    But seriously, folks - is it hard to choose grout? Please tell me it isn't like "white" paint with infinite variations? Is there an ABG (all but grout) club?

Here is a link that might be useful: paragon pearl lace

• deedles
    10 years ago

I have a sample of that exact tile sitting here and it is lovely. Didn't work for my backsplash but I just love it. It will be wonderful to see it up in yours!

Would you think the palest grey grout on earth? Just a hint of grey to show off the little individual pieces of tile. You could always do a couple test samples with white and pale grey grout and see which you like better.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I think it will look great - a match made in heaven for sure!! Can't wait to see the finished results.

• Majra
    10 years ago

I have a similar looking BS and I love it. It has a bit of bling, but only when the light hits it right. Otherwise it's soft and neutral and textural. I love your choice!

• amykath
    10 years ago

Looks like you have found your soul mate.

This thread is so cute and super funny! Thanks for the morning laughs!

Love the backsplash!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Deedles. I will try a light grey sample for sure.
    I do second, third, and fourth guess myself on nearly everything. Majra, your gorgeous backsplash is beyond compare but I am going for a neutral, textural look. Seeing my own pictures posted is surprising, the contrasting stripes in the granite seem much more vivid in pics than IRL and I can understand why it might seem like I'll have "too much" going on. Peke, I agree about picking a young one - dh and I both did (26 years ago) and so far, so good :)
    Sanuangirl, yours is the backsplash I think of when I worry I'll cast a wandering eye and wish I had more going on behind the rangetop. Have I missed your reveal? Holly-kay, do you have a b/s yet? I love the way your counters, cabinets and pulls worked together and look forward to a full reveal.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

KK...what is your granite btw? Gorgeous!

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

You will have to post a separate thread for grout!! haha We went with the Laticrete Spectralock grout and have had great performance out of it. We were worried about staining and having a highly used kitchen. We also have a mini brick. Their white selections are not the best though as far as variety.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

You must use unsanded grout on glass and thinset made specifically for glass. I did not use Spectralock (heard it was an excellent product) because of the disclaimer about testing it on glass and I wasn't going to take any chances of fine scratches on the glass. I just received the Bulletproof sealer I ordered.
    Yes, grout color is another decision:) I needed a bright white grout. I used Mapei and you would think that white would be their brightest, but no, it was Avalanche. You would think it would have a better name that would be helpful, such as "Bright White."
    You have given me backsplash envy, but I could not use MOP because my blue pearl comes with its own bling.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

KK, thanks for asking. The bs is being installed late next week. I am so excited but I have to admit that I am soooo apprehensive. I will either love it or hate it. When the installation is complete I will do my reveal. Kitchen window treatments are on order but I will do my reveal before they are installed because it could be a long wait.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or, Holly-kay, you might hate it and then love it - remember that many GWers have initial reactions of surprise/dismay.
    Thanks Annalyn and Teachertile - after all this time I'm still learning how much I don't know!
    Joaniepoanie, my granite was called Godiva by the yard I bought it from but another local place had a different lot of what I am sure is the same stone and called it Pretoria. Both said it was from India. The real expert, Karin, says it is a gneiss. I love it more every day, thanks for asking!

• HammerMom
    10 years ago

Love your backsplash choice! I have a similar granite (more gray, not as much wave pattern) and white shaker cabinets - totally undecided on my backsplash, but yours is inspiring!

So what's the reference to the wedding dress? ;) lol

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, let's see how it actually turns out, Hammermom! I'll post when it is in, probably 2 weeks. The wedding dress was just silliness carried forward from my first post anthropomorphizing my choice. âÂÂThe Heart wants what it wants - or else it does not careâ Emily Dickinson
    A friend once told me to just get what I love, and it would all work together. But you know, sometimes it doesn't! I love all kinds of things that don't go together: chocolate and garlic, fringed suede boots and linen culottes, pine trees and hibiscus.

• berardmr
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay - has your backsplash been installed yet? If so, please post some photos!!!

• whisper2345
    10 years ago

loved this whole post, hoping to see a picture too. also, please help the newbie...what are g/d's?

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

I think it is going to look beautiful! And, thanks for the great thread too - made me smile a lot!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Bera, yes it has. I did a reveal right after. You can look back a few pages. It is titled "my reveal".

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It isn't complete, let alone grouted or sealed, but here is a sneak peek of my backsplash to thank all of you for your encouragement! This picture may be like a hospital shot of a newborn, precious to the parents - but not exactly fine portrait photography.

I'm super happy with it and have restored hope that I'll eventually be someone with a remodeled kitchen, rather than someone who is remodeling a kitchen.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That looks GREAT! Happy to see it up. That stuff is cool.

And what color grout are you going to use?

It looks really, really nice.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

That is really beautiful!!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles, you may recall that I've thought of this backsplash as my beloved and my baby. The perfect choice (obvious after a wise GWer - who was that again? - pointed it out) is one of the lightest of 50 shades of grey.

• romy718
    10 years ago

No wonder you were in love. Can't wait to see some closeups.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Really nice kksmama. So glad you went ahead with your plan.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!! So far, so good:) Have they done the angled wall yet? Can't wait to see more.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Ha ha, yeah. Well, I look at my sample frequently and wonder if the individual tiles could be turned into some bracelets or something. It really is like jewelry! Can't wait to see the finished pics! (gee, I wonder if someone could make some bracelets out of it....?)

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the angled wall is done and was not a problem!

The color changed significantly with grouting, they used Snow White polyblend (unsanded) and it made the glass look a little more green/blue. I like it, but it doesn't do quite as much to tie in the warm floors as it did without grout. I guess I could've used something warmer and darker to pick up more of the browner mop pieces as my paint did. But this gives me the watery look I wanted and I think it will be fine when I have things on the counter.
    This was a very good day in the life of my remodel: b/s, pendants, and final upper cabinets are all in. I still need many doors, drawer fronts, and trim pieces including the new light rail and crown molding, but I'm super happy to see the b/s and lights up!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles, I couldn't find it again, but I saw a really cute idea for using sample tiles: put them in the back of shadow boxes and then put a large seashell in front of them. I'm not remotely crafty, but I think maybe even I can pull that one off! If not, my daughters will think of something.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oooooh, KK I love your backsplash! It is gorgeous! It looks like you are really making a lot of progress.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful!!! I love the texture from the different materials. I think you are going to find it will reflect different colors in different lights. I think the light will affect it more than the grout color. It was indeed a match made in heaven!!!

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I remembered where I saw the same photo. I shopped for so many samples at glasstilestore.com while I was looking for my backsplash. It was the mini brick oyster white!

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Wow!! That backsplash looks beautiful! I love the texture it provides but that it's a soft color. Sounds like you had quite a productive day in your kitchen. Must be a great feeling. You're nearing the end!!

• LE
    10 years ago

Wow, that looks great together. But why does it work? Both the B/S and counter have a lot of personality. Yet they are neutral in tone. The light/dark contrast between the two gives the combination a lot of punch. Seeing your samples, I thought it might be "too much," but good you trusted your instincts (or you were just in lust with it, sometimes that works, but not always!)

Now it looks to me like the variation in the small tiles sort of mimics the variation in the light streaks of the gneiss. There are similar size pieces as well as the color being close. Is that part of what's tying it together?

Would love to hear why others think this is working here. It would be easy to be "close, but off" when combining this or a similar stone with a mosaic of any kind. It risks looking like striped pants with a plain shirt, if you know what I mean.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lori, you and I see it exactly the same way! I did think/hope the small tiles would mimic the white parts of the gneiss. B/s and gneiss also share same basic linear and horiztonal movement. I think it matters that the mosaic isn't high contrast. But I'd love to hear from others who understand all this better! I've struck out repeatedly on some elements of this remodel (3 attempts at knobs, gave up and will use all handles) but feel like I've gotten others right and am happy b/s was one of them!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022