Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
filing cabinet using kitchen cabinets

Posted by shannonaz (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 9:22

Has anyone used kitchen cabinets in an office? I want the extra storage and full extension drawers etc.The space is shared with the laundry cabinets and will have a chest freezer so it's a bit kitchen-like and less of a traditional office. As I design the space how do I account for filing cabinets? In my current space I have 3 15" cabinets. What would be the best way to configure kitchen cabinets to accept hanging files? I know I can get specifics from different cabinet shops but I want to get a plan done that I can price shop/compare lines.
Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: filing cabinet using kitchen cabinets

Most lines have office cabinets available. Office height is shorter, at 30" rather than the 36" of kitchen cabinets. All will have a hanging file ready file cabinet as well. But, in this electronic day and age, why do you need to dedicate space for paper storage, much less a non mobile desk type area? A scanner will record any receipts or other paper than you have, then electronically file them on a hard drive, make backup copies on a jump drive or CD, and you don't need to dedicate volumes of space to their storage.

It's the same with an "office" space. If you can use the space for a sewing area, or to roll out dough, or any of a couple of other tasks than will need a lower counter, then go ahead. But for 99% of people, a laptop means that their office exists in the easy chair in front of the TV or the swing out in the yard, or even the master bath throne room if they want it to. A fixed office space only need to consist of that scanner, a printer, and a router. That takes about 2' of linear space, as the scanner and printer are the same animal for most. That means it can be located just about anywhere it can get a bit of ventilation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here