Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Photoshop help anyone? Herringbone bs

autumn.4
9 years ago

I am wondering if anyone has some spare time and would be willing to take a stab at photoshopping this backsplash for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

If these pictures won't work - tell me what you do need and I'll take more. The day is gray so I can't get much with true natural light, having a tough time getting the paint to photograph correctly. Love the herringbone and the texture - not sure about it with the granite on the island.

Here is my original thread with more pics.

Laying flat close up:

Comments (17)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks lovely; it reminds me a little of breezy's due to the clean lines. Here's a mockup but scale is probably off and honestly, ungrouted, I don't think you can remotely tell what the final effect will be. Also, I'm not sure how high and far the tile should be taken.

Suggest you mock up a sample board with desired grout and then take a picture of the sample board in place. Secure the tiles onto a piece of 3/4 plywood with doublesided tape; then slap on the grout. Let dry. Typically, one is able to reuse the tile (just chip off grout) but with this size tile...?

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

To the hood:

• jdez
    9 years ago

Looks good to me.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you oldbat! I don't know how you do that but it looks great. I have been doing some reading and the tile is actually a limestone which sounds like it could be a maintenance 'challenge'. I am going to seal some of my samples and then see how they do with water and oil splatter. I hope they come through okay because I really like them and would cringe if I had to start all.over.again!

I will try to grout some up like you suggested as well. I need to find a color that blends. I don't prefer contrasting grout.

edit:could I trouble you to run the tile up to the hood like in pic 2 but on the window surround running it to the bottom of the cabinet height? I was thinking about holding it there vs. hood height.

Thank you again!

jdez-thanks! I really am liking the herringbone.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 8:10

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

You're very welcome! Like this?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - just like that thanks! Even though it's not a perfect rendition sans grout it really helps me visualize the transition lines. And thank you also for the compliment - likening my kitchen even remotely to Breezy's ahhhh. Her kitchen is AWESOME!

Do you have any thoughts on where it should stop and start? It will be better when we have the crown finished on the far left cabinet (and the glass in - doors are at the glass shop now-yay) but I am thinking stopping at the hood feels natural. My goal is to have it stop where it doesn't look choppy but given the layout that might be tough.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

And because I am a little of a tile junkie and was curious...

Edited to add back door. I will let the experts speak to where to start and end.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 9:11

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! If only it weren't already a budget buster I may entertain that! :) I definitely know I like the herringbone for sure.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like #2-- up to the hood and straight across to the cabinets.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like #2 as well. When you test the tiles with oil and water, don't forget the spaghetti sauce. :)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Wow I still love the herringbone tile - has always been my first choice too! I like it covering the entire wall, but yeah I know about the pesky thing of budget at this stage. I'm still in ABB. Congrats in finding a tile that makes your heart flutter *and* it works in your lovely kitchen!

• annettacm
    9 years ago

I'm not sure you could stop the herringbone halfway up behind the hood. The hood wouldn't sit flush against the wall then. You'd have to do the tile to the bottom of the hood OR to the ceiling behind the hood. Either way, I like!

This post was edited by annettacm on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 11:31

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Sorry, a bit OT:

"I'm not sure you could stop the herringbone halfway up behind the hood. The hood wouldn't sit flush against the wall then. You'd have to do the tile to the bottom of the hood OR to the ceiling behind the hood. Either way, I like!"

Oh my! Light bulb moment for me. Is the backsplash supposed to go behind the hood/chimney??? With the vent on top of it?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ck_squared-I *think* that you have to make that call before you install the hood - or at least it's much simpler if you do. We will be taking it up to it so not behind it. I think you CAN do it afterward but more work involved. You can google it with + gardebweb and somebody did a whole thread on how they did it. I can't remember now it was quite a while ago that I was browsing.

linelle-oh yes, spaghetti for sure. Most of my splatter comes from breakfast - eggs, pancakes, sausage. But surely the red stuff needs to be considered. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks may_flowers, annettacm and mags. It's such a sliver in between the cabinets and the trim I am tempted to just leave it out. I think we are going to hire this job out verses our usual DIY thought so maybe I'll just leave that to the professional and not sweat it!

• annettacm
    9 years ago

"Oh my! Light bulb moment for me. Is the backsplash supposed to go behind the hood/chimney??? With the vent on top of it?"

ck... I am sure it can go in afterwards, but you wouldn't have as clean a line where they'd have to cut tile and grout all along the edge of a very-easy-to-scratch stainless hood. I personally wouldn't want to do it that way, nor do the installers I work with. I'm sure it's way more work for them. We usually put in the tile first and the hood over the tile, which is not only an easier install but a cleaner visual, in my opinion.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I like the one posted at 8:56. And I love your pendant lights. Don't know how I didn't see them before now.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tried the Miracle 511 Impregnator/Sealer and it did not go so hot. The grease and the spaghetti sauce left definite shadows. They did fade a little over night but - no. I cannot handle that for the cost of this tile.

So I am picking up some Miracle 511 Porous Plus. That is what Sonoma recommended. I am going to seal twice this time and wait the entire cure time and then give it a go. Crossing fingers GW's. I am a little scared I will have to start over. :(

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES