Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Best value farmhouse sink

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

I'm looking for a traditional farmhouse sink in white or off white. Overstock has some in the $600 range that look nice and get good reviews but wanted to check here as well.

The ikea sink is a bit too modern looking (id prefer softer edges) but the price is right so I may do it anyway.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (15)

• threegraces
    9 years ago

Single bowl or double bowl? Undermount or overmount? size? Fireclay or cast iron?

The DOMSJO sink is designed to be an overmount. It can be undermounted but requires a few tweaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brickman House's DOMSJO undermount

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry- I gave no info! 30x18 sink., single bowl, over mount. Positive reveal if that matters.

I don't know the difference between fireclay and cast iron! Will have to google that.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

How soon do you need it? Last year, Overstock Deals had an amazing black Friday sale. Vintage Tub and Bath also has good prices. I purchased mine from there before I found Overstock Deals.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I always have a 10-15% overstock coupon floating around so good idea to think about Black Friday deals. We will likely start construction at the end of Oct and it involves a bump out so maybe I'll be able to hold off. I should have the schedule of when I have to order each item soon.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Just to be clear, the company I mentioned is OverstockDeals.com not Overstock.com. I'll link it below. I was thinking that their black friday special was 20% or more and by using MrRebates there was 3 - 5% cash back also. Plus, they had a lot of their larger items on sale, too. So, you got a percentage off the sale price.

You'll be fine purchasing in November, if you aren't starting until October. Our builder had told us they could build our house in 4 - 6 months. We started last August. I started buying plumbing supplies in June/July. It is now the following Sept. and we still don't have sinks and toilets installed. They've been sitting for a year! I could have/should have waited and bought them all on Black Friday last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: OverstockDeals

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Here's a link to a thread here specifically about undermounting the domsjo, but I'd note that the most experienced ikea pro installers over at ikeafans don't approve of doing this:

Here is a link that might be useful: GW thread on undermounting domsjo

• wags848
    9 years ago

We're getting the Ikea Domsjo double bowl. However, it's out of stock in our area until the end of October. Just a heads up to check inventory in your area. With their recent kitchen sale and the fact that the Ikea apron sink was featured in a design magazine and/or blog, sales shot up.

I was at a warehouse sale at a kitchen/lighting store this afternoon; they had a Kohler Whitehaven for $400 but someone beat me to it! :( The Ikea price is hard to beat.

Good luck!

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Actually, our start date isn't until Nov 3! I'll have plenty of time to shop those Black Friday deals.

• fabfivefigs
    9 years ago

I too have been searching for decent quality, lower priced (ie, less than $700!) fireclay farm sinks. In my scouring the web for the last several months, this was the cheapest one I could find that looked beautiful and was at least 30" wide:

Here is a link that might be useful: Randolph Morris fireclay sink

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Import sinks have suspect quality. There's already enough issues with irregular sizing on the name brand ones, and not to mention all of the lead contamination issues that previously ''safe'' import products have had in the past. Is saving a few dollars more important than your peace of mind?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It depends on where they are imported from. If Europe, safety standards may exceed those in the US. Anybody know where IKEA sinks are made?

• silvergirl426_gw
    9 years ago

My IKEA Domsjo, which I love (installed now about a year and a half ago) was made in Turkey. And no problem installing it undermount.

• Russel C
    9 years ago

We have a Barclay fireclay sink, its our second one. We put it in our previous house's kitchen, when we got the current house we ripped out the Ikea garbage (counter included) and replaced it with another Barclay under mount with soapstone. Barclay was the best value we could find here, and the last one served us well. I'd eat ramen noodles for months to save up for anything but Ikea for a kitchen sink/faucet.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Loved our ikea domsjo sink. We had a single--I think they may have discontinued the single. This house has a non standard sink run so I can't fit ikea in unfortunately.