Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deev78

Gratuity for GC?

DeeV78
9 years ago

Our contractor is just about wrapped up with our major renovation that included a full gut/remodel of our kitchen, master bath, and whole basement (due to water damage) -- work that took from February to September to complete. I'm curious if it's customary to give the GC gratuity? 95% of the work was done by a 2-man team (GC and his right hand man), so I'm wondering if and what I can give them as a gesture of appreciation for a job well done. They did a great job, but on top of that just have the best attitude I've seen amongst contractors.

I would appreciate hearng from the GW community what you've done or would consider appropriate. Thx in advance

Comments (12)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

This has come up several times, as you would expect you will get different responses...some will say you paid for it, they are just doing their jobs, why reward people for doing what you paid them to do etc...

I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with showing your appreciation by giving a gift card to Amazon, maybe a bottle of wine, fruit basket and even a few dollars cash

I am a small developer/contractor and I always give a small something to the sub contractors if they perform at a high level...I find it satisfying to say job well done, that someone performed above our expectations and it is always very much appreciated believe me

After hearing about the horrible experiences that some people have with their contractors, why not do something for the "good" guys?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Sure, why not? You're the employer and you're giving your employee a bonus for exceeding your expectations. I would give a gift card.

• huango
    9 years ago

I'm in the wine industry, so I gave my 2-man crew:
    - scotch for the guys
    - wine for their wives, since the guys were at my house often early/late in a day, and sometimes weekends.
    And some champagne over the Xmas holidays.

They loved me. :)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I would not give alcohol unless you know the people drink.

Personally, I think cash is a gift that pleases everyone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I recently installed several hurricane windows and doors on a gut rehab. There was a Russian immigrant "kid" who spoke little English on the crew of my sub working his butt off for two days. I caught him in the trailer and had to stuff $50.00 into his pants because he tried not to take it. I had to remind him that I was his bosses' boss.

The most valuable thing about tips isn't the money, it's the leverage it gives employees at review time. When you're earning tips, your boss can't argue your performance. The marketplace has spoken for you.

• margo456
    9 years ago

When I was in decorative painting business when I was in the subcontractor role people would give me usually a cash tip and on occasion I received some other items as a thank you (wine, scarf, gift basket etc.). When I was the contractor on the job my workers would get a cash tip. Sometimes really nice people who appreciated my hard work as well (I always worked along side with other people on the job) would give me a small gift but usually not monetary.
    I think most people assume that the GC makes the "big bucks" and the workers don't make as much - not always the case depending on situation.

I think it is a nice gesture to receive a small token of appreciation regardless if you are a GC or just a worker.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I'll add another suggestion to your growing list of good suggestions: write up a glowing review of his work on review sites such as Angie's List, Yelp and Google. I've done that several times and the contractors are always very grateful for the plug for their business.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest what lisa said. Our gratuity was a written reference to our GC that he could do with as he wished. Our other tip - recommendations to friends for his services and he has gotten two sizable jobs as a result.

There were a couple of subs that we did give a little extra to because they went out of their way to do a little extra for us. We gave a set of hockey tickets to the finishing carpenter and a case of artisan beer to the tiler. We spent enough time with these two to know they would appreciate those ideas.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

As a semi-retired carpenter and GC, I would say referrals are the best tip. I've never advertised in over 35 years of business...that's not to say a gift certificate to a nice restaurant wasn't also appreciated :)

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

We did glowing reviews (Yelp, Houzz) and will be hosting a "thank you party" for the crew. And of course are letting him photograph the place and use us as a reference.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Our gratuity was the glowing phone reviews I gave potential clients, the weekend showing we had during the Remodeler's Showcase Parade of Homes, the photography we let him take for his own website and houzz and the photography we let the cabinet people take for their marketing brochures.

On top of all that, he is getting our business again with an upstairs remodel which includes 2 bathrooms.

A monetary gratuity or gift didn't even cross our minds. In fact, he showed his appreciation for our business by giving us a couple of bottles of wine!

Of course, anything you do will be appreciated!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Our gratuity was the glowing phone reviews I gave potential clients, the weekend showing we had during the Remodeler's Showcase Parade of Homes, the photography we let him take for his own website and houzz and the photography we let the cabinet people take for their marketing brochures.

On top of all that, he is getting our business again with an upstairs remodel which includes 2 bathrooms.

A monetary gratuity or gift didn't even cross our minds. In fact, he showed his appreciation for our business by giving us a couple of bottles of wine!

Of course, anything you do will be appreciated!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio