Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Please show me your shaker lightrail

kksmama
10 years ago

I chose shaker cabinets for the clean lines, and a pencil edge granite, and didn't think about the style of lightrail but am unhappy with what has been installed so far. It looks like an ogee edge.

Comments (20)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Hope this isn't considered hijacking, but it's definitely related. Do you think no light rail looks naked or unfinished? I can't decide.

I've thought about adding something similar to Bellsmom's, but perhaps lower profile. But then I got to wondering if the rail should have been included in the 18" height of the uppers.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I like Bellsmom light rail. Simple style to go with the cabinet door style.

You only need light rail to conceal any lighting components wires etc. that are mounted below your cabinets and can be easily seen. Otherwise it's not needed.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Bellsmom, that looks great.

No worries, foodonastump. I need it, as I had my outlets mounted up there on an angle thanks to a2gemini's helpful post and picture. I had my uppers mounted higher so I still have 18" clearance just in case I find myself "needing" a Vitamix someday ;)

• windycitylindy
    10 years ago

No picture, but our doors and frames were made longer to accommodate lights below. In other words, the light rail is hidden by the doors when they are closed.

Foodonastump, I don't think it looks unfinished--probably because that's the look I have!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I really like both looks. I love WindyCityLindy's idea to have doors and frames extended to cover lighting. But I also think Bellsmom's gorgeous cabinets look good too. Either way, I think the simple look is ideal for shaker cabinets.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I like my low profile light rail in my last house

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is pretty, Karenseb, thank you. If I ever do this again I think I'll use your idea, Windycitylindy.
    I agree, Pricklypearcactus - simple would be much better and there are many good options.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Not a close up pic, but I think you can get the idea. Our light rail is just a square piece, no frill or edges. We were also going with shaker style for the straight, clean lines.

• willtv
    10 years ago

Our cab maker built the light rail into the cabinet.
    The result is that the doors extend to the bottom of the built in rail.
    Here's a shot.

Failing this design, I think "Bellsmom's" design looks fine.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Ours is just a simple finished piece. We also did a clean granite edge, I think it was a 3/8 pencil, if I remember right. Nothing too fussy except the crown, which is still pretty plain for crown.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, wider view would probably help. Sorry!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Chrissy, Willtv and Williamsem. They all look great and are helpful in affirming that I am right to have that ogee changed.
    I know people do kitchens without being TKO about every little thing, but I can't figure out how they get nice results. I gave 0 thought to light rail, figured whatever they usually use would be fine.
    I'm beginning to understand why people do kitchen after kitchen: you learn so much and can do so much better, it must be easier after the first time, right?

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

I like Karen's thin pencil edge if it is under extended doors. If I were doing my kitchen over, I would consider it. I am not sure I would like extended doors though. They would look fine closed, but I think when I opened them, I would always be surprised to find the door hanging below the cabinet.

Do let us know what you decide to do.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

When I had my cabinets made, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as a light rail for a kitchen (all I knew about was "light rail" as a mode of transportation).

I am lucky there was plenty of room to mount my LED light fixtures without them showing. There are fixtures under each of these cabinets.

These are the lights I used. If they would have been visible beneath my cabinets, I guess I could have used LED tape lights (another thing I didnt really know about before becoming addicted to GW)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Mine are like Willtv's. I am obsessed with clean, simple lines and adore how mine turned out.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Breezy, I love seeing pictures of your kitchen!

I've sent pictures of Williamsem's cabinets to my GC, I think that makes the most sense from where we are now (needing to replace something that is already there).

It looks like Williamsem's are close to even with the fronts of the doors, as opposed to close to even with the fronts of the cabinets as Bellsmom's, am I seeing it right?
    Would anyone who doesn't live on GW ever give this much thought to light rail? I tire of myself, so I can only imagine how my poor dh feels!

• Suzanne Lucas
    8 years ago

breezygirl love your kitchen what type of granite is that?

• hatethecold_gw
    8 years ago

Not sure how much Breezygirl is on here these days, but here is a link to her partial reveal. Her perimeter counters are marble. Love an excuse to see her kitchen again. :)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2444723/not-nearly-done-but-since-you-asked-pics?n=150

• Suzanne Lucas
    8 years ago

seems like all counters i like are marble but not feasible for me LOL