Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

My new favorite SS (and granite, and glass) cleaner!

cat_mom
13 years ago

I had been using 3M's SS Cleaner and Polish aerosol spray on my SS appliances and sink, but recently found something I've found to be much easier to use--alcohol/water in a spray bottle (with some essential lavendar oil added). I'd mixed some up to try out in my new bathroom(s), and to try on my granite in the kitchen. I've now been using it on my glass and mirrors, too.

I remembered reading here about people using and liking the alcohol/water mixture on their SS appliances, and I decided to give it a try. Our KA fridge is a bear to clean, even with the 3M spray--it's nearly impossible to wipe it down in one fell swoop w/out at least some streaks (we have a 42" built-in SxS). I first had to scrub off any (oil)residue from the 3M spray (Cameo or BKF on a blue scrub sponge). The alcohol and water mixture works really well! The sheen or luster (of the metal) is a little different w/out the oil-based product, but it still looks nice. The best part, is the ability to spot clean without streaks or smudges, and now the surface has much better fingerprint resistance, too.

Ive been using it on my Wolf range (only when it's off--don't want any fireballs!)--the SS and the black enamel burner pans, and on my microwave, etc. I've been spritzing the sink and grid with it after a quick scrub with the sponge (spray and then wiped dry with a microfiber) and those look nice, too.

Once again GW has helped me discover something useful!

Comments (20)

• User
    13 years ago

hi!
    So did I miss the proportions? Inquiring minds need to know. I know I read about this but didn't pay attention until your post.:)

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

Yes what is the ratio water/alcohol? and adding the essential oil does not make it streaky/greasy?

• rnest44
    13 years ago

In researching a ratio I found all kinds of 'right' answers. Here's just one suggestion. Most use a drop or 2 of dish soap too.

Also, I know lots of people love microfiber but I found cloth diapers work well for cleaning. The birds eye cotton ones can be found at Target.

Here is a link that might be useful: ratio of water/alcohol

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It seemed a 50-50 ratio of alcohol to water was the popular proportion used by folks on GW. I've seen varying am'ts during my online search for the correct proportions, so I don't think it's carved in stone.

I started by using ~50-50 with the lavendar essential oil added (it does not seem to cause streaking, BTW). Lavendar oil has anti-bacterial properties, so in addition to smelling nice, it is beneficial as a germ fighting agent.

I spoke with a Dr. at the EPA re: the correct proportions to use in order to disinfect bathroom/kitchen surfaces. He told me that 10% alcohol to 90% water would do the job (I could adjust down a little if adding the lavendar oil). I thought the mixture with the reduced am't of alcohol to water evaporated slower (on my mirrors for example), and maybe looked a little streakier, so I bumped the alcohol am't back up. I probably use anywhere from 30-50% alcohol.

HTH!

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

I am thinking of trying this for my granite. Right now I am using the 409 Stone Cleaner.

Would any essential oil work for scent? I would like to disguise the alcohol smell.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

I also learned about the alcohol/water cleaning solution on GW and love it. I also like to use essential oils in my homemade cleaning supplies. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who doesn't know already that some essential oils (including the otherwise wonderful Tree Tea Oil) is very toxic to cats.

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

At my housekeeper's suggestion, we are using baby oil (!!). It seems to clean really well. She wipes it on with a soft rage and then buffs it off.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The EPA guy said that lavendar oil is actually more anti-bacterial than tea tree oil, and he thinks it smells nicer, too (lol).

• eandhl
    13 years ago

cat mom, glad you are finding the alcohol/water mixture is working. I have used it for years and like you find the ability to spot clean a real time saver. When we had granite counters it made clean up a breeze with no streaks. Now I shall find the essential lavender oil to add, thank you.

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

How many drops of lavender oil?

• sayde
    13 years ago

Regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol?

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As with the alcohol and water, I'd seen "recipes" using varying # of drops of oil--I've been topping off my spray bottles before they are empty, so I add different am'ts. I think I tend to add somewhere around 10-15 give or take? I mostly go by smell--just enough to smell the lavendar, not so much that it's overpowering. I've just started using this concoction, so I've been playing around with proportions and in two very different size spray bottles; one very small and one much taller. I wish I could give a more definitive answer.

Yes, regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I've been using the 70% strength (which is more commonly on the shelves), but have read a few "recipes" using 90%. I don't know if it matters or not.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

just as an FYI.
    .) as an antibacterial/antiseptic the 70% is what you want, not the 90%.
    yeah. i know it sounds wrong but it is correct
    2.) lavender oil is not 'oily feeling' because of the volatility of the oil. That is why it won't leave oily streaks

just a bit of chemistry

• aboutime
    13 years ago

where do you buy the lavender oil? thanks!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

muspic--thanks! I barely passed chemistry (LONG time ago!) so appreciate the info!

I usually get the lavendar oil at "Mrs. Green's" an organic-health food type market (I mix some with plain water in a spray bottle, and mist my pillows before going to bed--supposed to be calming; sometimes it helps.....!). A very small bottle costs ~$10 there. I'd guess a local health food store would carry it.

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I'm definately going to give this a try.

• kathec
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info cats mom. I'm guilty of not cleaning my KA SS fridge too, for the same reason, more often than not the spot cleaning looks worse than just leaving it alone. We've got the water in the door, so there's always streaks down the front. Kids and DH, I'll say no more.

I'm going to give this a try.

We've got a "Farmer's Market" type grocery in my area (DFW) called Sprouts which is the same as Henry's in the San Diego, CA area. I'm pretty sure they carry it there if anyone is looking for it. Maybe Whole Foods too?

• cherigw
    13 years ago

Wonder if I could use Basil essential oil?? I love the smell of the Mrs Meyers basil laundry and fabric softner.

• andersons21
    13 years ago

I've used alcohol for various cleaning, including windows and mirrors, and I've mixed up different recipes with equally cheap and simple ingredients...but I must say that Stoner's Invisible Glass works better than any of them.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

I use the same concoction on my black quartz countertops, which would otherwise show every little smear. NO SMEARS!!! I buy the big thick fluffy microfiber cloths in the automotive section of store. I was adding a bit of ammonia as a surfactant to remove greasy spots, but maybe I don't need that.(?) Lavender oil would sure smell much nicer!!

For my stainless backsplash and dishwasher, I like to use the Pledge Multi-Surface Wipes--another GW find. Love them!! Also use those on the black granite in my powder room and they remove all the water spots so quickly and easily.