Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glorydays_2008

Hardwood floors and cabinet color

glorydays_2008
15 years ago

For those of you using hardwood floors in your kitchen, did you choose a stain similar to your cabinet color, or did you go with a contrasting floor color.

Comments (19)

• jennabanenna
    15 years ago

ebony floors, cabinets neutral/cool stain, carrera marble top. Ive seen both similar stains and contrasting ones. I'll have pics in a couple of weeeks.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I really prefer a contrast. I used red oak cabinets, stained fairly dark and quartersawn white oak floors that will be unstained.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

ccoombs1, The contrast in your room with the dark stained oak cabinets an the unstained quartersawn white oak floors is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I thought I was going for a slight contrast, but my Tigerwood floors have darkened enough that they are now close in tone to the maple cabinets. I have a fairly small kitchen- 10X15 + 10X10 eating area, so I think the tone on tone works, and I have contrast in the dining furniture (I think it may have been TOO monochromatic if furniture blended with floor). Plus, I have a dark granite countertop...

{{!gwi}}

In my LR (which is bigger), I have darker furniture on the Tigerwood floor, and I like the contrast there.

I don't think there is one answer for every situation- though supposedly the trend is going away from contrast to more tone on tone.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I have cherry (natural) cabs and jacobean walnut floors. I prefer the contrast in any kitchen personally.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Hi, I also went with a contrast...Red Oak Natural Floor with Cherry Pecan Cabinets. I do not have it installed YET (soon) however this is a nice photo of contrasting cabinets and flooring (not my kitchen):
    Best of Luck, Melanie1121

• User
    15 years ago

contrast. Otherwise everything just blends into each other and there's no "pop"!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Contrast here, too. Light cherry stained Ash cabinets with red oak floors stained red mahogany.

The floors will wind up a bit darker once we're done.

From Kitchen

The dark area in this shot is what we'll eventually have everywhere:

From Kitchen

• alku05
    15 years ago

I truly believe it's best to have a contrast in either color, tone, or pattern (wood varigation). For our kitchen, we chose a floor with a good amount of varigation to get the contrast we needed. Otherwise, your cabinets and floor just melt together and both fade into the background.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I just love all the floors, the ones with the contrast adn the kitchens with the tone on tone look. Rachelon, do you have any more pictures of your Tiger Wood floors? Your kitchen is beautiful with them in there.

Alku, I love your floor. Is this Brazilian Cherry?

Melanie121, As I told you before, I just adore your kitchen and love your kitchen cabinets.

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

Raehelen

I like your counter, what is it called?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I actually don't like too much of a contrast between the hardwood floors and the island. I don't like the "floating island" effect that happens, which is one of the many reasons why I decided not to do a travertine floor with our dark stained island. However, I do really like the contrast between our dark hardwood floors and white painted perimeter cabinets.

Our hardwood floors are dark but have a darker grain, and we chose the stain for our island based on the grain. So they still tie in together in a subtle way.

(Our white toekicks aren't in yet, and ignore the poly lines at the base of the island. We have to scrape those off by hand - dreading this although DH will probably end up doing it.)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Melanie, Sorry, I just read this was not your kitchen but I see you are trying to have a kitchen like this. I love it.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Lynn2006, my floors are a laminate designed to look like brazillan cherry.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

We went for contrast also. We have QS white oak cabinets stained with MW Red Oak and QS red oak floor with no stain.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

alku, could you share the product you used for your floors? they look stunning and while i'm waiting for my counters to come in, i'm trying to pick a nice looking laminate for the floor. so many choices, it's so hard to pick!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

bump....

hoping to find out from alku05 what brand/collection of flooring she used!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Jessie21, you have email!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

got it! thanks alku!!!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling