Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does sunlight fade any types of countertop?

Posted by pumpkinhouse (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 8:46

I am planning a southern window over some of my kitchen countertop. Should I take that into consideration when choosing a countertop material? Do any types fade or change color?
One of the building stone places we visited said that newly quarried stone (in that case, limestone) will change color over time. So facades facing south will "buff out" as she called it, more than the northern side. Is this the same for newly quarried countertop stone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does sunlight fade any types of countertop?

I am a fabricator.

Sunlight will fade quartz countertops of any brand. Dark colors are faded noticably in just a few weeks of direct sunlight. We fabbed and installed Cambria for several years and have replaced kitchens that faded. Kudo's to Cambria for standing behind their product as the replacement was at no cost to the consumer.

A very few granite colors will fade after months or years in direct sunlight (stored outside in full sun.) We have never had a complaint about fading inside a house. The only watch out for the consumer on granite is that their kitchen not be made from one slab that was on the top and others that were buried. Any decent fabricator will make sure of this as a matter of course.

o

I was planning on quartz for my countertops, and now I am concerned about the fading for the perimeter. There are four windows around the perimeter of my kitchen - are there going to be squares of fading where the windows are? I am going to be using a dark grey color.

Would dark grey or black granite be better? Thanks!

o

Windows these days have UV blocking coatings that will minimize the fading. But, if you plan on open windows a lot, don't choose a dark quartz.

o

I had no idea that quartz fades.

I have dark gray Caesarstone on all the counters in my G-shaped kitchen. I have an east-facing window and in the summer the sun shines on my peninsula in the mornings. Not endlessly, not a steady pounding stream of sunlight. An hour or so of moving sunlight. There's been no fading after two summers.

This isn't to say that quartz won't fade, esp. a dark one. But mine gets exposed to sun and seems to have held its original color.

o

As far as granite fading in the sun, check out the countertops the next time you're in Las Vegas. I've got a picture of a doozy, but I can't find it right now.

Fading shouldn't be an issue for granite or estone properly installed indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here